John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:07
Member (2006)
French to English
Jul 11, 2007

Dear colleagues,

A beginner's level Wordfast training session will be held at the Montreal conference venue on Friday, October 12th (http://www.proz.com/conference/11).

This day will be devoted to setting up and using the general features of Wordfast. We'll go over the workflow basics and learn how to integrate glossaries as well as create them on the fly. Time permitting, we
... See more
Dear colleagues,

A beginner's level Wordfast training session will be held at the Montreal conference venue on Friday, October 12th (http://www.proz.com/conference/11).

This day will be devoted to setting up and using the general features of Wordfast. We'll go over the workflow basics and learn how to integrate glossaries as well as create them on the fly. Time permitting, we will also learn how to align past translations and use this alignment to create a translation memory.

You must bring your own laptop if you wish to attend the training. Though Wordfast runs on Mac, I personally don't use one so my expertise is limited when it comes to dealing with Mac-specific issues.

For additional information and registration materials, please post in the forum or contact me.

Hope to see you in Canada,

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-06-15 23:07 GMT]
Collapse

Dahlia Ferrer
Dahlia Ferrer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Any more wordfast trainings? Jul 24, 2007

I have been wanting to get trained in Wordfast for a loooong time, but the timing has always been off.

Do you know of another training? I'll be in Cairo in October and it's just difficult to get to another continent. If I were in Puerto Rico or in the states, I would definitely go. I hear Montreal is beautiful probably especially during the fall....

Thank you,
Dahlia Ferrer

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Training in September and November Jul 25, 2007

Dahlia Ferrer wrote:

Do you know of another training?

Hi Dalia,

I've scheduled two trainings in Nice, France: one for beginners in September and one intermediate level training in November. If you can make it in November, you could also drop in for the ProZ regional conference in Aix-en-Provence!

Otherwise, keep an eye on the Wordfast website for trainings scheduled in your area. You can also contact a trainer who is based near you and maybe set up a one to one session (in Cairo?).

If you want me to keep you posted about upcoming trainings, please contact me directly and I'll put you on my Wordfast mailing list.

Thanks,
John

Leonardo Fus (X)
Leonardo Fus (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Trainings Jul 25, 2007

Hi Dahlia,

We are working to generate trainings in Egypt...they are not online yet, as we didn´t define the details, but please keep and eye on this page..

http://www.proz.com/?sp=trainings

We will post all the information there.

Best Regards,

Leonardo Fusero
ProZ.com

Debra Galarneau
Debra Galarneau  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:07
French to English
+ ...
system requirements for laptop Aug 1, 2007

Hi John,

I'll probably have to borrow a notebook. Is there anything special I should know about what is required for the training? How much memory will I need to use on my borrowed notebook? Will I be able to transfer the files related to the downloads and Wordfast training to my desktop afterwards? Any other issues I should consider when deciding whose laptop to home in on?

Thanks,
Deb G.

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
laptop issues Aug 2, 2007

Debra Galarneau wrote:

I'll probably have to borrow a notebook. Is there anything special I should know about what is required for the training? How much memory will I need to use on my borrowed notebook? Will I be able to transfer the files related to the downloads and Wordfast training to my desktop afterwards? Any other issues I should consider when deciding whose laptop to home in on?

Dear Deb,

You won't need that much memory. You'll need about 6 or 7 MB for Wordfast and the training files. I occasionally use WF on an old, turtlesque Dell Inspiron laptop from the stone age running on W98SE.
If you want to transfer the files, you can either zip them and send them by e-mail (if there is a wifi connection) or put them on a USB key. The latter is probably the best solution.

Try and make sure that the laptop you borrow is similar to the operating system and version of Word you use on your desktop. For example, don't borrow an Apple if you work on a PC! They don't have to be exactly the same, but the closer the better.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Sincerely,
John

Debra Galarneau
French to English
+ ...
duration Aug 4, 2007

Thanks, John, for the info on system requirements. I have another question. The training time is 9 to 5. Is that one all day session, or several sessions (same training) starting at different times?

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Training times Aug 5, 2007

Debra Galarneau wrote:

Thanks, John, for the info on system requirements. I have another question. The training time is 9 to 5. Is that one all day session, or several sessions (same training) starting at different times?

Hello Deb,

The training is an all day event. We'll have two short coffee breaks and a longer break for lunch.

I hope this answers your question (I'm not sure I understood it).

Best regards,

John

Debra Galarneau
French to English
+ ...
Your answer perfect. Aug 6, 2007

Thanks John. You did indeed answer the question I asked.

Nivmr23
Nivmr23
English to French
+ ...
Attending the session Oct 3, 2007

Hello John

I would like to attend this session. I have never worked with wordfast in the past. This is an excellent opportunity to get started.

Best regards,

Nadia

[Edited at 2007-10-03 17:37]

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Great, a few tips to get you started... Oct 3, 2007

Hi Nadia,

Looking forward to meeting you next week.
I would recommend going to the www.wordfast.net site and sitting through the on-line tutorials, at least the installation and general features. This will give you a headstart and let you know what to expect. You can even download the training guides and practice on a past translation to see how the process works.

Trainees usually
... See more
Hi Nadia,

Looking forward to meeting you next week.
I would recommend going to the www.wordfast.net site and sitting through the on-line tutorials, at least the installation and general features. This will give you a headstart and let you know what to expect. You can even download the training guides and practice on a past translation to see how the process works.

Trainees usually find this pre-training useful as it helps them formulate good questions the day of the actual training.

Hope this helps, see you soon,

John
Collapse

Joshua Wolfe
Joshua Wolfe  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
where will the Wordfast training be held Oct 10, 2007

Will the Wordfast training will be held at the hotel Auberge Royal Versailles?

thanks

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Royal Versailles Oct 10, 2007

Hi Joshua,

Yes, all events except the powwows and networking dinnner will be held at the Royal Versailles hotel, Sherbrooke St East. The training registration begins at 8.30 and the training proper at 9 am.

Nancy

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Montreal conference 2007 - Wordfast training

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »