Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 15:21
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Nov 30, 2006

Dear All,

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of "fun" programs at the Budapes Proz.com conference, to be held on April 29 and 30, 2007.

Evening programs:

Friday, April 27th: Pre-powwow for early arrivals. Attendance free, guests are welcome, everybody pays for their own consumption.
April 27th (Friday) powwow - First encounter

Sat
... See more
Dear All,

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of "fun" programs at the Budapes Proz.com conference, to be held on April 29 and 30, 2007.

Evening programs:

Friday, April 27th: Pre-powwow for early arrivals. Attendance free, guests are welcome, everybody pays for their own consumption.
April 27th (Friday) powwow - First encounter

Saturday, April 28th: Big powwow on the eve of the conference. Attendance free, guests are welcome, everybody pays for their own consumption.
April 28th (Saturday) powwow - Large pre-conference powwow

Sunday, April 29th: Cruise on the Danube, with buffet dinner and a live folk band for those dancing feet. We will listen to the invigorating music of Méta, one of the most important bands in Hungary's táncház (dance house) folklore movement.
Here is their website. And an older one with some music samples.

Participation is included in the 2-days conference fee. If you paid for one day only, you can buy a separate ticket for the boat ride. Guests are welcome for an additional fee. Duration: 3 or 4 hours.

Monday, April 30th: Dinner and party in a suitable restaurant. Attendance free, guests are welcome, everybody pays for their own consumption.
April 30th (Monday) powwow - Farewell dinner and party

-----------------------------------------------------

2. Attractions, sights, museums:

Attractions near the hotel:
City Park: Museum of Fine Arts, Zoo, Vajdahunyad castle, Museum of Transport, Museum of Eastern Asian Art, Széchenyi Baths, etc. (links later)

Other attractions in Budapest:
Parliament, Buda Castle, Matthias Church, National Gallery, Museum of Ethnography, Central Market Hall, Gellért Baths, Synagogue, St Stephen's Basilica, Chain Bridge, Margaret Island, etc. (links later)

Easy day trips from Budapest:
Szentendre, Visegrád, Esztergom, Székesfehérvár, Eger, etc. (links later)

3. Local weeklies in English:

Budapest Sun
Budapest Business Journal
Budapest Funzine (my favourite - you'll get a fresh copy in your conference package)
Budapest Week

------------------------------------------------------

4. Cultural events close to the conference dates:

May 4/5: New York Philharmonics (Lorin Maazel) - tickets here

More to follow later

------------------------------------------------------

5. Shopping: books, markets, etc.:

Treehugger Dan's bookstore and café is a 10 minutes walk from the hotel, near Oktogon, run by an American Greepeace activist and Hungarian folk dancer

More to follow later

---------------------------------------------------------

CONFERENCE PAGE
Conference powwow page

Accommodation Forum
Official Program Forum
ATA Exam Forum
Deja Vu Training Session Forum
Trados Training Session Forum
Travel Forum

[Módosítva: 2007-02-19 12:11]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Sounds great! Nov 30, 2006

We'll arrive on Tuesday 24 so we'd appreciate any tips for the 25-28.
Others going to enjoy Budapest in spring during the same period, please communicate!

Hervé du Verle
Hervé du Verle  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:21
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
Already planning the trip Dec 1, 2006

We have to leave on May 2nd, at the latest, but intend to arrive mid-april and spend at least 10 days visiting Budapest, Prague and some other places on the way... probably renting a car from Budapest and end the journey with the Conference.
We have started gathering information on the places to visit...
The main issue will be to select only a (reasonable) number of places !!!

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Prague + Budapest Dec 1, 2006

If you want to visit Prague as well, you would be better off with an Open Jaw ticket (or two single tickets on budget airlines), i.e. flying into Prague, and flying out of Budapest.

You could easily spend 3/4/5 days in Prague (once I spent a full year there...), then take a train to Bratislava/Vienna, take your time, then another train to Budapest.

You can then still rent a car in Bp (Budapest for short) and explore some of the country before coming back for the confer
... See more
If you want to visit Prague as well, you would be better off with an Open Jaw ticket (or two single tickets on budget airlines), i.e. flying into Prague, and flying out of Budapest.

You could easily spend 3/4/5 days in Prague (once I spent a full year there...), then take a train to Bratislava/Vienna, take your time, then another train to Budapest.

You can then still rent a car in Bp (Budapest for short) and explore some of the country before coming back for the conference.

Cs.
Collapse

Piotr Wargan
Piotr Wargan  Identity Verified
Poland
@ Csaba Dec 1, 2006

Hello,

I would be gratefulf for a 'must see' list of highlights (cities / caves / national parks) for a 7 day trip to Hungary

Bye,
Piotr

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some online resources Dec 1, 2006

Lonely Planet - Budapest
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/destinations/europe/hungary/budapest/

Lonely Planet - Hungary
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/destinations/europe/hungary

Wikit
... See more
Lonely Planet - Budapest
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/destinations/europe/hungary/budapest/

Lonely Planet - Hungary
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/destinations/europe/hungary

Wikitravel - Budapest
http://wikitravel.org/en/Budapest

Wikitravel - Hungary
http://wikitravel.org/en/Hungary

Virtual Tourist - Budapest
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Hungary/Budapest_Fovaros/Budapest-436839/TravelGuide-Budapest.html

Virtual Tourist - Hungary
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Hungary/TravelGuide-Hungary.html

Budapesthotels.com - Budapest/Hungary
http://www.budapesthotels.com/systempages/info.asp

---------------------------------------

You can find tons of information online by entering some useful words into Google: Budapest Hungary travel guide tips, etc.
(or similar words in your own language)

Cs.
Collapse

Piotr Wargan
Poland
Csaba - online is online and human is human :-) Dec 1, 2006

Just a small list: top 5 of Hungary - please

A word of guidance from a citizen is worth more than tons of paper or online text.

On my list I have so far (apart from Budapest): the Aggtelek cave, and Hayduszoboszlo for some hot water spa weekend, Hortobágy National Park.
... See more
Just a small list: top 5 of Hungary - please

A word of guidance from a citizen is worth more than tons of paper or online text.

On my list I have so far (apart from Budapest): the Aggtelek cave, and Hayduszoboszlo for some hot water spa weekend, Hortobágy National Park.

I will truly appreciate your advice (in return I can try to prepare a tourist's top 5 of Poland - if you want...).

Have a nice weekend,
P.
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
some tips Dec 1, 2006

I am finishing a large project now, so I am quite busy, that's why I gave the links above.

If you come by car, from around Rzeszów, you can enter into Slovakia, perhaps visit Levoca/Bardejov/Kosice on the way (Poles love visiting Stara Lubovna as well).

As you enter Hungary, Aggtelek is right on the border. Beautiful cave, listed as a World Heritage site. A good stop is just West of Miskolc. Lillafüred (mountain lake, hiking), Miskolctapolca (cave spa!), Diósgyőr (m
... See more
I am finishing a large project now, so I am quite busy, that's why I gave the links above.

If you come by car, from around Rzeszów, you can enter into Slovakia, perhaps visit Levoca/Bardejov/Kosice on the way (Poles love visiting Stara Lubovna as well).

As you enter Hungary, Aggtelek is right on the border. Beautiful cave, listed as a World Heritage site. A good stop is just West of Miskolc. Lillafüred (mountain lake, hiking), Miskolctapolca (cave spa!), Diósgyőr (medieval castle), very close to each other.

Hajdúszoboszló is a bit overrated. I have never been there, but it's normally known as a spa full of pensioners on a medical prescription. You'll be better off with Miskolctapolca.

Tokaj is in this region, good for wine-tasting.

A logical next stop is Eger, famous for a victorious 1552 battle against the Ottoman Turks (who eventually won a few years later). Nice baroque town with a minaret, wine-growing region.

There are some interesting places to visit in the Danube bend, all of which can be easily covered in a full day if you have a car. Szentendre (Serbian Orthodox churches, hoards of tourists, nice outing), Visegrád (famous for an early Central European summit in 1335), a castle and a palace: both in ruins, but worth visiting anyway. Esztergom (archbishop's seat, basilica). On the other side of the river, Vác may be worth visiting for an hour or two.

My favourites in the Western part of the country:
Székesfehérvár (medieval capital, medieval ruins, baroque facades. I grew up here). This is an easy day trip from Budapest.
Pécs (locals boast of a "mediterranean" climate. Some interesting museums, early Christian tombs from the 4th century, and a mosque turned into a Catholic church, etc.). It's about 160 kms from Budapest, so it may be a good idea to stay there for the night.

Finally, Budapest itself is worth visiting for several days (tips to come later when I have more time).

Cs.
Collapse

arterm
arterm  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Russian
Me and Nikita would also join the trips Dec 1, 2006

Me and Nikita would also join the trips
We should arrive on 27 at 20:50

Piotr Wargan
Poland
Csaba - thank you :-) Dec 2, 2006

Many thanks for invaluable info!
We have seen a lot in Slovakia already (Levoca and Spisky Hrad are on our hit list).

Bye,
P.

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bikes + kids Dec 2, 2006

If you are interested in renting bikes to get around the town, it is certainly possible. I will post details later (January).

Also, if any of you are interested, English speaking babysitters can be arranged for the duration of the conference, obviously for a fee. Details later.

For bigger kids, the neighbouring City Park offers much fun: a zoo, a funfair, a transport museum, a playhouse, several playgrounds.

Cs.

Hervé du Verle
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
round trip Dec 2, 2006

In fact, we will be 2 travelling, and probably both crossing the Atlantic the night before we arrive...
Our preliminary plan, to date, are to find a pleasant location, not to far away from Bp to spend our first night. Eger seems a bit too far after 7 + 3 hours or so in a plane, plus the connection times.
Then, we would go through Slovakia heading for Krakov I had a quick chance to visit a few years ago (often by night, being busy during the day!), and then to Prague, and back to Bp
... See more
In fact, we will be 2 travelling, and probably both crossing the Atlantic the night before we arrive...
Our preliminary plan, to date, are to find a pleasant location, not to far away from Bp to spend our first night. Eger seems a bit too far after 7 + 3 hours or so in a plane, plus the connection times.
Then, we would go through Slovakia heading for Krakov I had a quick chance to visit a few years ago (often by night, being busy during the day!), and then to Prague, and back to Bp hopping here and there... So many things of interest, on the way!
But, we have problems to determine where we would stop in Slovakia.
We'll look for details about the places you mention Piotr.

(connection failure at the critical moment...)

[Edited at 2006-12-02 23:43]

[Edited at 2006-12-02 23:44]
Collapse

moutassim elharith
moutassim elharith
Local time: 14:21
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nagy szivesseget kernek! Dec 4, 2006

Kedves Csaba,
Nagy szivesseget kernek toled! Arra lennek kivancsi, hogy lehet-e magyarorszagon reszt venni egy olyan TRADOS tanfolyamon ahol bizonyitvanyt adank.

Elore is koszonom a segitseged,
Forditoi uvozlettel,

Moutassim Elharith
Anglia

Piotr Wargan
Poland
On the way... Dec 4, 2006

from Budapest to Krakow, Levoca sholud be an excellent place to stay for the night (Spišský hrad and the town Spišske Podhradie are very close too). In the very centre of the Old Town - namestie Majstra Pavla - there are at least two hotels (if I dig out brochures I will write the names). But ple... See more
from Budapest to Krakow, Levoca sholud be an excellent place to stay for the night (Spišský hrad and the town Spišske Podhradie are very close too). In the very centre of the Old Town - namestie Majstra Pavla - there are at least two hotels (if I dig out brochures I will write the names). But please have a look here:

http://www.region.sk/levoca.html

http://www.levoca.hotelforyou.com/levoca-hotel-barbakan/

http://www.spisskyhrad.sk/

Bye,
Piotr
Collapse

Hervé du Verle
Member (2004)
English to French
+ ...
Spissky Hrad Dec 4, 2006

Piotr Wargan wrote:

from Budapest to Krakow, Levoca sholud be an excellent place to stay for the night

Thanks Piotr. Iwas just about to ask if you knew of a particular place to recommend as I think we will have to take a look somehow at that old castle...
as long as we can manage there with English only (or French). I started to improve my very basic German knowledge, just in case it could help)

But this old ruin really looks impressive....

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Budapest Conference 2007 - Fun Events Forum

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »