Thread poster: angibi
angibi
angibi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:01
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 19, 2008

Hello! Is anyone familiar with "Across"? I need to ask a question.
Thank you

Ioana Costache
Ioana Costache  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
'Support' section on website Apr 19, 2008

Hello,

I'm not familiar with Across myself, I'm just learning, so I'm in no position to help you, but I hope you'll find this useful: http://www.my-across.net/en/support_request.php

Best,

Ioana

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
English to Latvian
+ ...
I am Apr 20, 2008

I translate for an agency for over a year in Accross. You can e-mail me, I'll help if I know the answer.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:01
English to French
+ ...
And... Apr 21, 2008

...your question is?

angibi
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM Apr 21, 2008

This is my first CAT tool ever. So, forgive my ignorance.
I have been given a huge project by a customer; they have given me a PC with the software. I am supposed to learn by myself.
My question is:If a want to be helped by a colleague who does not have the software, could I somehow prepare part of my text and give it to her in some format and receive to back and insert it back in my text? This was done my a colleague to me with Trados once: she gave me a prepared text, plus a memory
... See more
This is my first CAT tool ever. So, forgive my ignorance.
I have been given a huge project by a customer; they have given me a PC with the software. I am supposed to learn by myself.
My question is:If a want to be helped by a colleague who does not have the software, could I somehow prepare part of my text and give it to her in some format and receive to back and insert it back in my text? This was done my a colleague to me with Trados once: she gave me a prepared text, plus a memory glossary in rich text or something, and I sent it back to her.
What if my colleague does have the program?
Thank you!
Collapse

Nicole Keller
Nicole Keller
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Across exchange of data Apr 22, 2008

You cannot send the translation or parts of it to a colleague because the tasks are assigned to you and you are the only one who can translate it. Even if a colleague works with across as well you couldn't forward the task to him. This is a process only the project manager is allowed to do.
But there is a workaround but only if you work with the brand new version fo across (version 4.0 SP1) You can download the patch from the across website.
When you are in crossDesk and you start th
... See more
You cannot send the translation or parts of it to a colleague because the tasks are assigned to you and you are the only one who can translate it. Even if a colleague works with across as well you couldn't forward the task to him. This is a process only the project manager is allowed to do.
But there is a workaround but only if you work with the brand new version fo across (version 4.0 SP1) You can download the patch from the across website.
When you are in crossDesk and you start the preview of your translation you can save the original file to your hard drive. If you haven't translated anything you will see the original text. You could send parts of this text to a colleague who works with Trados. He has to translate the text in the TagEditor and send you the bilingual ttx file. You can import this file into your translation memory (via crossTank Manager) and then start the pretranslation in crossDesk. Everything should be there.
Sounds complicated, but unfortunately is the only way to do it. Could luck!
Nicole
Collapse

angibi
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
across exchange of data Apr 29, 2008

Thank you, I'll try to dowload that patch.
I have somehow been able to extract a TM in a file with the extension tmx, but I do not know what to do with it (it is unreadable and I do know how to use it). Do you have any suggestion?

thank you

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across CAT tool

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »