Kai Döring  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 14:48
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 10, 2008

Dear Colleagues,

I am using Across right now which is very helpful as far as I could test it now, but of course the standard is somehow Trados which is not really affordable for a freelancer especially if agencies are demanding for the latest version.

Across has the option to export and import TMX files. Does anybody has experiences how good this works? Does this mean that everybody who has Across can very well do a job which is required in Trados?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Have a blessed day.

Direct link Reply with quote

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Theoretical possibility (have not tried it myself) Jul 10, 2008

What you could do, is get hold of a Trados demo version, open your files in TagEditor, pre-segment them in Trados and then you would have to find a way to import the output into Across somehow. I do not know Across too well, but I assume that it is not possible to import TTX files directly. The easiest solution would be converting the TTX file into a word table or something of that kind, which would then be importable into Across. And there has to be a way to convert it all back, of course. Maybe some of the other experts around here know if there is a macro that can accomplish that.

Christiane Boehme  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:48
English to German
+ ...
Possible but with reservations Jul 10, 2008

Hello Kai,
I work with both Across and Trados. If the client does not request Trados I prefer working with Across but that may be because this was my first CAT tool and I am more familiar with it.
When it comes to import/export it works well for normal texts. But if there are a lot of tags (as in converted framemaker files) the problems start since Across and Trados handle them differently. I just had the situation that I translated a converted framemaker file in Across and after importing the TM in Trados the program didn't recognize the matches.
And the other thing is that some agencies want you to deliver the unclean file but Across doesn't produce unclean files.
Sorry that I can't answer your last question with a simple yes. But some agencies just don't want to risk having to redo a translation because there MAY be difficulties.

Hope this helps.

Leonardo La Malfa  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:48
English to Italian
+ ...
TTXpress Jul 10, 2008

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

The easiest solution would be converting the TTX file into a word table or something of that kind, which would then be importable into Across. And there has to be a way to convert it all back, of course.

This might help:
http://www.terminologymatters.com/ttxpress.html

Leonardo

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Thanks for that suggestion Jul 14, 2008

Leonardo La Malfa wrote:

This might help:
http://www.terminologymatters.com/ttxpress.html

Leonardo

Thanks! I knew something like this had to exist. I am using Deja Vu X for this purpose, but that would be no solution for Kai.

Kai Döring  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 14:48
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the ideas Jul 15, 2008

Dear all,

thanks for the ideas

Uwe Schwenk
United States
Local time: 01:48
English to German
Importing TTX Jul 18, 2008

With across 4 SP1c you can import TTX files directly into across.

Uwe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across and Trados

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs