"track changes" in word - how to keep changes in across?
Thread poster: Tech Spell (X)
Tech Spell (X)
Tech Spell (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:16
Polish to German
+ ...
Aug 10, 2008

Across Personal Edition v4.0 SP1

I have a text (contract) to be translated. The contract is written in word, while the option "track changes" was enabled. So now there are passages in different colours, some parts are crossed out and so on...

Is it possible to keep the same lay-out of the tex after translating with across? When I checked-in the source text the crossed out passages were not visible at all. How to check them in too?

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:16
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Why would you want to do that? Aug 10, 2008

I am sorry as this is not an answer to your question, but I can't keep myself from wondering: Why on Earth would you need/want to do this?

Which document do you need to translate? The original, or the modified?
If the original, then Reject all changes in Word, and translate that file.
If the modified, then accept all changes, and translate the modified file.

If for some reason you want both (I don't know why you would need to do that, but anyway), then you c
... See more
I am sorry as this is not an answer to your question, but I can't keep myself from wondering: Why on Earth would you need/want to do this?

Which document do you need to translate? The original, or the modified?
If the original, then Reject all changes in Word, and translate that file.
If the modified, then accept all changes, and translate the modified file.

If for some reason you want both (I don't know why you would need to do that, but anyway), then you can first translate the original document, then translate the modified one (you will have most of the text in the TM by then), and then use Word's Compare function to compare the two translations. That will show the differences between the translation of the original and the translation of the modified file.
Collapse

Tech Spell (X)
Tech Spell (X)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:16
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It might be useful Aug 10, 2008

The contract is an original text with changes and comments made by few people. It's not the case now (for luck), but the client might want to see how the text changed with the time - so first he would have to understand the original text and than also see what was crossed out and what's new in the text.

I was also thinking about translating the text twice - first as an original without any changes and than modified text with all changes accepted, but I don't think that would do, bec
... See more
The contract is an original text with changes and comments made by few people. It's not the case now (for luck), but the client might want to see how the text changed with the time - so first he would have to understand the original text and than also see what was crossed out and what's new in the text.

I was also thinking about translating the text twice - first as an original without any changes and than modified text with all changes accepted, but I don't think that would do, because normally you can see who and when made specific changes in the text. If I translated the text as two separate ones this information would not be visible anymore...

Did I make myself clear? Hope you understand now why I ask such "funny" questions, Katalin
I agree that the situation does not happen often, but it's still possible, isn't it?

Maybe there still is a way to keep the information about all changes in the translation?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"track changes" in word - how to keep changes in across?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »