Is Across compatible with Vista?
Thread poster: Jan Hrdlicka

Jan Hrdlicka  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:28
English to Czech
+ ...
Aug 10, 2008

Hello,

if the answer is yes, is there anybody who has been running Across on Vista for "some time" and therefore could "confirm" it really works without any incompatibility issues?

Regards,
Jan

Direct link Reply with quote

Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 16:58
English to Swedish
Yes Aug 10, 2008

I have used Across Personal Edition 4.00 with Vista home premium for four months without any problems.

For more information on system requirements for Across follow this link

ftp://ftp.across.net/documentation/SystemRequirements_v40_en.pdf

Åsa

Jan Hrdlicka  Identity Verified
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 10, 2008

Thanks a lot Åsa

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:28
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Across system requirements Aug 11, 2008

I find that minimum system requirements and resources for Across are luxerious e.g. 1 GB RAM, 1.2G harddisk space, 1024x728 display settings.
I find it is not quite competitive if compared with merits of other existing CAT e.g. SDL Trados, Wordfast, DejaVue.

Regards,
SL

Uwe Schwenk
United States
Local time: 01:28
English to German
System requirements Aug 11, 2008

In regards to your comments with the system requirements, I have to disgaree with you, because comparing desktop product with server products is not really a good comparison, since the underlying functionality and foundations are quite different.

If you compare it with the Trados server, you will see that across actually has a very small footprint and can be tied into almost all base SQL environments.

Uwe

business idiom  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Anyone able to compare Across and Idiom World Server? Nov 18, 2008

Uwe Schwenk wrote:

In regards to your comments with the system requirements, I have to disgaree with you, because comparing desktop product with server products is not really a good comparison, since the underlying functionality and foundations are quite different.

If you compare it with the Trados server, you will see that across actually has a very small footprint and can be tied into almost all base SQL environments.

Uwe

I agree. A smaller footprint is a good thing. How does Across compare to Idiom World Server?

Uwe Schwenk
United States
English to German
Compare across to Idiom Nov 19, 2008

business idiom wrote:

I agree. A smaller footprint is a good thing. How does Across compare to Idiom World Server?

Thats kind of a tough one to answer because Idiom has 4 editions for different size enterprises and as requirements it states mainly 1 or 2 CPUs per server. Its one of these open-ended ones, because for example how do you define 1 CPU in regards to specifications, aka power. Its all over the map and based on the money you are willing to spend.

Since SDL now own Idiom, who knows where this will go.

Uwe

Michal Circolone  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:28
Member (2009)
Hebrew to English
+ ...
Is across 4.0 SP3 compatible with Windows Vista *64* bit? Dec 25, 2008

Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated!
I know that to-date Trados is not compatible with Vista 64 bit.

Uwe Schwenk
United States
English to German
Vista 64-Bit Dec 26, 2008

Michal Circolone wrote:

Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated!
I know that to-date Trados is not compatible with Vista 64 bit.

I dont think it is at this time, but you might want to send an email to support@across.net. They are very responsive and will provide an answer quickly.

Uwe

Magdalena Bergmann
Germany
Romanian to German
+ ...
Vista 64-Bit Feb 4, 2009

Dear Michal,

did you get in touch with the Across support team?

I am also interested if Across v4.00 (w/o SP3_b) works well with Windows Vista 64-Bit system. I took a look at your personal homepage and I've noticed that you're using it.

I'm about to buy a new laptop and I cannot decide if it will be a 32 or a 64-Bit system. This has an impact on the capacity of the RAM. If it's a 32-Bit system the laptop will not fully work with its 4096MB RAM, it requires a 64-Bit system in order to work at its full capacity. So I've been told (my husband a IT&Tecom genie).

Best regards,
Magda

Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Vista 64-Bit Feb 6, 2009

Dear Magdalena,

I installed the 64-bit version a couple of weeks ago and it was quite of a headache. Across works under the 64-bit environment once you install the Service Pack 3 (SP3) for the current Across version (v4.0).

However, I wouldn’t recommend to install the 64-bit environment. The installation of some programs and dictionaries was a huge headache and I had to spend quite a while in order to find a workaround to this.

Moreover, there are some applications that don’t work with complete normality under this environment, such as MultiTerm, and I had to upgrade to the latest Trados version, so that the Synergy environment could work!

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Estefanía

Magdalena Bergmann
Germany
Romanian to German
+ ...
Thank you Estefania Feb 18, 2009

Thank you very much for your answer, it was very helpful.

The new laptop (with 32 bit system) has arrived, tomorrow I will install Across on it, so I will see how it works.

Best regards
Magda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Across compatible with Vista?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs