Mobile menu

Is it possible to change filenames when checking files in/out?
Thread poster: Brigitte Hamilton

Brigitte Hamilton  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:30
Member (2007)
German to English
Aug 20, 2008

I have been working with Across for the last few months and really like it. However, one thing I still have not figured out: how to change the names for files I am checking in or out. Right now Across seems to be checking in/out the files with the same name as the original files, and it does not appear that I can change the name of the files either during check-in or check-out.

If I check out the file into the same directory as the original file, it then asks me, quite naturally, whether i want to replace the file. I have resorted to changing the names of the original files after the file has been checked in or create new sub-directories, all of which appear to be a very inefficient use of time. Perhaps I just missed something?

Direct link Reply with quote
Uwe Schwenk
United States
English to German
Changing file names Aug 21, 2008

the only thing what you can do is is in step 3 of the checkout wizard to select to create subfolders for each document. This activates the second part of the dialog where you can append for example standard language extensions or customized extensions to the file name.

I personally use sub folders for each language for the following reasons:

1. Everything is nice and tidy in a easy way to access and for back up purposes.

2. For some projects such as software docs to be compiled into software or help, file names have to be the same and the only differentiator is the language folder.

For the checking in, why not rename the file before you even start the process? I mean, I am not sure what you want to accomplish with renaming. Could you explain this a little more please, because I fail to see the purpose.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-08-21 03:13]

bohy  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:30
English to French
+ ...
Why change names? Aug 22, 2008

There is something strange in your question... Why do you want to change the names of the files in your working directory ? To make sure that you keep a copy of all successive versions ?
Actually, if you use a software where you check the files out, and then check them back in, the software has some kind of version management, and should be able to tell you how many versions of a given file it has, and should allow you to extract any version, provided that you give the adequate version identification.
I do not know Across, and do not know how to do that, but I think that it is what you should look for in your user manual.

Brigitte Hamilton  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
German to English
Thank you Uwe Aug 22, 2008

That is exactly what I was looking for, I was not (yet) aware of that, and your explanation re: directories makes perfect sense. I guess in a sense that is what I was doing but in a roundabout way, after the fact. Makes the software just that much more attractive, so far I have been really impressed.

bohy - I wanted to change the file name because I don't want the translated file to have exactly the same name as the original file. Short of changing the file names prior to beginning the translation, which essentially meant creating two files (one original file and the one for translation), I checked in the original file and then checked out the translated file with the same name (because I did not know how to change the name to indicate that it had been translated and hence was different). This caused the program to want to replace the original file, which I did not want. Now i can check in the original file name and check out a new file in a new directory, which is perfect.

Alina - Maria Chiteala  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:30
Partial member (2011)
English to Romanian
+ ...
yes Jul 22, 2009

User defined ending add any word you want to the end of your file name before .doc
for example: if we have the file power.doc when checking it out from across at user defined ending we write translated and the file name will be power_translated.doc
It is not quite you wanted but it helpfull and easirer than subdirectories.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to change filenames when checking files in/out?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs