Romina Fanzini
Romina Fanzini  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:51
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 4, 2008

Hi everybody!
I'm in the middle of a little "crisis" here and I'd appreciate your help! I've just bought a new laptop (Sony Vaio) with Vista and I would like to move my Across v4.0 on it. Trouble is, I don't have the setup file anymore (I don't know why), so I installed the old version, 3.5 with my licence. Then I downloaded v4.0 on this computer and had to remove the other version. Then I get a message saying that my licence number isn't valid...Does this mean that I have to request a new
... See more
Hi everybody!
I'm in the middle of a little "crisis" here and I'd appreciate your help! I've just bought a new laptop (Sony Vaio) with Vista and I would like to move my Across v4.0 on it. Trouble is, I don't have the setup file anymore (I don't know why), so I installed the old version, 3.5 with my licence. Then I downloaded v4.0 on this computer and had to remove the other version. Then I get a message saying that my licence number isn't valid...Does this mean that I have to request a new licence every time?? (I filled in the form on the website again)

Another thing: I have tons of projects saved in Across on my old computer...How can I move everything to this new computer??

Thanks a lot for your help!

Romina
Collapse

Åsa Campbell
Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 05:21
English to Swedish
Not sure.. Sep 4, 2008

When I installed my licence on a second computer I was able to use the same licence number, however it was the same version.

I suggest you email their support, you will find the adress on their website, they are usually very helpful.

Sorry I wasn't able to help you.

Åsa

Romina Fanzini
Romina Fanzini  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:51
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 4, 2008

Thank you Asa!

Actually, I sent an email to the Support just after I posted this question here...They gave me a few possibilities, so now I have to try them!I just hope I'll be able to restore all my work here, included the most recent one, because there is ove one year work in there, so you can imagine...

Thank you again!

Have a nice day!

Romina

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
United States
Local time: 14:51
English to German
New Computer Sep 4, 2008

Romina,

I will attempt to provide you with some help here.

First of all, this morning I saw a recall anouncement for Vaios in the news. Here is the link: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,416428,00.html. Check this before you start installing left and right only to find out you have to bring the box back.

Now to the actual issue at hand o
... See more
Romina,

I will attempt to provide you with some help here.

First of all, this morning I saw a recall anouncement for Vaios in the news. Here is the link: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,416428,00.html. Check this before you start installing left and right only to find out you have to bring the box back.

Now to the actual issue at hand of moving projects from one computer to another. I will describe here one approach. There are others, but this is what I am recommending when computers are switched under the following assumptions: (Correct me if I am assuming wrong)

Across and the databases are installed on the same computer.

For each project, upon completion not only is the project exported but when exporting the project, there is also an export of at least the TUs for the particular project done (remember when exporting a project, CrossTank and CrossTerm Entries are NOT exported along with it).

First and foremost, EXPORT CrossTank and CrossTerm, I would recommend to not just transfer it to the new box but rather also make a copy on CD or DVD, just in case.

Here we go

Step 1
Export CrossTank and CrossTerm.

Step 2
Install the across version on the new Computer (Since you are installing 4.0, I would recommend directly also apply SP2C. I did this myself and I will send later on tonight a bit more detail on my testing) All in all, I am very pleased.

Installation note
Since you spent the money on a new computer, you might want to consider (if possible) to get an external hard drive and hook it up via USB for the following reasons:

It improves speed when the database and the app are not located in the same location.

Moving it is soo much easier. Just plug into the new box..., install across, get the instructions from support for the database hookup, and you are done.

Step 3
When the installation is completed, open across and create the settings as they were in the old database (subject fields, relations, etc.). A little explanation: I work with few clients mostly private on large projects, and therefore not many are there. If you have lots of relations created, it might be better to consider moving the database, but for this make sure to contact the across support team.

Step 4
Upon completion of the preparatory work, import the CrossTank individual project exports using the settings created in step 3.

Step 5
Upon completing all importing, reorganize the database.

Step 6
In the new database, export all TUs into a file and back this one up. Also, keep the old back up labeled and handy for some time, just in case.

Step 7
Import the CrossTank file previously exported.

Step 8
Reorgnize CrossTerm

Step 9
In the new termbase, export all entries into a file and back this one up. Also, keep the old back up labeled and handy for some time, just in case.

Step 10
Translate again and be happy...

A little explanation.
While this particular approach might sound somewhat convoluted, when switching to a new computer, and by just moving the implementation, you will soemtimes see that things from the old get carried onto the new. I am personally not to keen on this because it can cause issues. Id rather start on a clean slate so to speak. Again, this is my prefercne if everything is on one computer. However, my setup is in as far as having and external hard drive for the databases, because it makes life simple.

HTH
Uwe

[Bearbeitet am 2008-09-04 14:51]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New licence every time?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »