Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:43
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 6, 2008

I tried to install the Across free freelance version. After several hours of installation, the program finished, but would not operate correctly on my notebook computer (Windows Vista). The installation process also installed MSSQL Server 2005 onto my system and my computer has been very slow ever since.

So far, I have been unable to delete either Across or MSSQL Server (which takes up a lot of memory) from my computer and whenever I turn my computer on, MSSQL requests Internet Access and I have to keep pressing Block Access. I have tried deleting the software through the control panel and computer just freezes. I have also tried deleting them using the command prompt, but I am denied access.

How can I delete Across and MSSQL from my computer so that I can stop getting all these annoying error messages?

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 16:43
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Details please Nov 6, 2008

Hi Jeff,

I have installed Across Personal Edition (version 4.0) and Microsoft SQL Server 2005 on my laptop (running Windows XP Pro SP3); then, updated with the latest patch SP2e. It happily works without any problem. And to add, I use Kaspersky Internet Security.

In your case, your operating system is Vista but any other details? Which version (and build) of Across did you install? Did you install any other programs using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (e.g. Alchemy Publisher)? Your firewall, antivirus program? All these details may help expert users (not me) to find out the problem.

----------------------------------

There is a file named acrossCleaner_v1.1.bat under C:\Program Files\across\crossGoodies\acrossCleaner, you can use it to clean your system. But it should be used only after Across is uninstalled from your system through add/remove programs.

[Edited at 2008-11-06 00:55]

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I am successfully running Across with XP Nov 6, 2008

However, I had problems with the installation.

After several attempts, I emailed to the Across support that helped me then step by step.

I suggest you to do the same: they will get back to you immediately and are really very efficient.

Good luck!

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Local time: 15:43
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Try this Nov 6, 2008

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

I tried to install the Across free freelance version. After several hours of installation, the program finished, but would not operate correctly on my notebook computer (Windows Vista). The installation process also installed MSSQL Server 2005 onto my system and my computer has been very slow ever since.

So far, I have been unable to delete either Across or MSSQL Server (which takes up a lot of memory) from my computer and whenever I turn my computer on, MSSQL requests Internet Access and I have to keep pressing Block Access. I have tried deleting the software through the control panel and computer just freezes. I have also tried deleting them using the command prompt, but I am denied access.

How can I delete Across and MSSQL from my computer so that I can stop getting all these annoying error messages?

I had the same problem with my computer becoming very slow. I went to start>run and typed services.msc. I discovered the sql service for across was running and using a lot of memory. Disabling this helped.

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Across Nov 6, 2008

Thank you for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I have already manually deleted some of the files, so continuing with the installation is pointless. However, most of the large files simply will not delete (either through add/delete programs or through the control panel). One of the error messages I am getting comes from McAfee. I tried to delete McAfee and it appears that I am now unable to delete any programs from my computer.

Thanks for the start/run suggestion, but I am unfortunately using Vista and there is no more start/run option.

I may be forced to do a restore in order to get my system working properly again. I should have known something was not right when the installation took several hours and kept installing program after program after program. I thought it would never end.

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Restore unsuccessful Nov 6, 2008

Update: I was unable to restore my computer - would not let me have access.

I was able to reboot using Windows Repair and the system restored Across and the SQL Server back to the way it was before I tried to delete files. Now I get about five boxes that keep popping up saying "Windows Installer" and the computer is attempting to install something, but just stalls - cancelling the install does not work as the windows just pop up again. Cannot access e-mail. Still cannot access restore to restore computer to the date before I installed Across or use the windows uninstall feature. I tried to load the Microsoft fix to correct these windows installer boxes and get a script error.

My advice - do not try to install this program if you use Vista. If you are not using Vista, do not upgrade.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Vista - User Account Control (UAC) Nov 6, 2008

When I was installing Across, and ever since with every patch, I had to disable the User Account Control, otherwise Across was not able to install some parts. In some cases it displayed a dialog, BEHIND other windows, waiting for confirmation (but I could not see it, so I thought it was just hanging there), other times it just hung, but all due to having the access control on, and therefor Across not having the permissions to install/modify things on the system.
Another annoyance was that Across apparently had a conflict with Symantec Norton, I had to completely disable that when I was using Across. I upgraded Norton and now I have Norton 360, and that does not have this conflict.

Here is the Help file content about UAC:
Turn User Account Control on or off

User Account Control (UAC) can help you prevent unauthorized changes to your computer. It works by prompting you for permission when a task requires administrative rights, such as installing software or changing settings that affect other users.

We don't recommend turning User Account Control off. If you do turn it off, you should turn it back on as soon as possible.

Click to open User Accounts.

Click Turn User Account Control on or off. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Select the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer check box to turn on UAC, or clear the check box to turn off UAC, and then click OK.

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem resolved Nov 6, 2008

I think I have (at last) resolved the problem. I ran Windows in Safe Mode and restored my system to the day before I installed Across. Now everything seems to be back to normal. I do not know whether it was Vista or McAfee that caused the problem, but I was able to easily uninstall McAfee (I have a different program now) and I could not do this while Across was on my computer.

Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
Local time: 15:43
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Great Nov 7, 2008

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

I think I have (at last) resolved the problem. I ran Windows in Safe Mode and restored my system to the day before I installed Across. Now everything seems to be back to normal. I do not know whether it was Vista or McAfee that caused the problem, but I was able to easily uninstall McAfee (I have a different program now) and I could not do this while Across was on my computer.

Great to hear you solved the problem. In response to your previous post: vista does have the "run" option. Just do a search for "run" and it's there, it's not so easy to find anymore as it used to be.

business idiom  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:43
Italian to English
+ ...
Thank you all. Will think twice before installing Across Nov 18, 2008

I very much appreciate the contributions here.

I was considering installing Across this afternoon, on Vista, until I came across these egregious problems. That the program "calls home" even when it's installed as Stand Alone program I find very disturbing, let alone the CPU power and memory wasted running an SQL database.

What is the company up to with all this extra burden placed on freelancers' little computers.

Uwe Schwenk
United States
Local time: 08:43
English to German
across installation Nov 19, 2008

It seems to me that the installation is a bit all over the map. Some people have no issues whatsoever, others keep on running into some.

Personally, I have to recommend support because the support is good and so far has been able to address all issues.

Also, for clarification I am not only using it at home I am also implemented it at my place of work, where I am in charge of a localization group.

I am very pleased with it and so are the other translators.

Uwe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help - Across messed up my computer.

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs