https://www.proz.com/forum/across_support/126658-across_and_memory_use.html

Across and memory use?
Thread poster: Telemarker
Telemarker
Telemarker
Local time: 12:03
French to English
Feb 3, 2009

Hi, I'm using Across for the first time and am a little disturbed to see it hoovering up memory as the day goes on... is anyone else using Across (the server version, SP3_b), having the same sort of issue?
It also seems to be reliant on MS Word for its spell checking capabilities even when Word is not directly called upon to view documents (I'm working on HTM files), can anyone confirm this? (a WINWORD process starts automatically in Task Manager...) which also has an impact on my machine
... See more
Hi, I'm using Across for the first time and am a little disturbed to see it hoovering up memory as the day goes on... is anyone else using Across (the server version, SP3_b), having the same sort of issue?
It also seems to be reliant on MS Word for its spell checking capabilities even when Word is not directly called upon to view documents (I'm working on HTM files), can anyone confirm this? (a WINWORD process starts automatically in Task Manager...) which also has an impact on my machine memory.
Thanks
Telemarker
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:03
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Spellchecker can be selected Feb 4, 2009

I cannot comment on the memory issue, but I can on the spellchecking.
Go to Profile Settings, under General, the last item is Spellcheck.
Click on that. You will see the four options. You can check and uncheck these as you wish, thus specify the spellcheck method.

Telemarker
Telemarker
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Across support contributing to the forum? Feb 4, 2009

Thanks Katalin, I'd found those options not long after posting the message (it's always the way isn't it...). It's now stopped calling the WINWORD process thankfully.
Is there anyone from Across themselves looking in on this forum who could suggest anything else to look out for?

Boudewijn B
Boudewijn B
Across and memory use on import Mif files Apr 21, 2009

Hello,

We are also not that satisfied about the memory Use of Across. Specaily when importing MIF files. This will take much more time compared with Transit, and Across uses a lot of the machine memory, which will make it allmost imposible to do something else.

Does anyone has the same experience with Across version 4 sp3 server edition.

Regards,
Boudewijn

Telemarker
Telemarker
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Inexplicable CPU usage between 3% and 99% when simply moving the cursor Apr 21, 2009

Does anyone has the same experience with Across version 4 sp3 server edition.

This is the version I'm using too, Across has some strange memory usage at times, inexplicable CPU usage between 3% and 99% when simply moving the cursor and clicking is the best example... a lot seems to be down to the machine used and if it's not got a lot of grunt, then be prepared to wait while Across takes more than its fair share of the pie!

ichibanmike
ichibanmike
Local time: 03:03
Japanese to English
Specs on your machine Apr 21, 2009

Are you using a server machine? For example, what kind of PC processor are you using and with how much RAM memory?

I recently talked to a person who was using a Dell PowerEdge (3 GHz, 4 GB of RAM) with the Across Language Server v4 (SP3) and he said things worked pretty well. Of course, that's a pretty fast machine.

Thanks,

Mike

Telemarker
Telemarker
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
POWAH... Apr 22, 2009

ichibanmike wrote:

Are you using a server machine? For example, what kind of PC processor are you using and with how much RAM memory?

I know that my machine is not quite up to the 'required specs' for Across (we're testing Across with a view to purchase), but that doesn't excuse the poor memory management by the application. Across is a very heavy memory user for certain processes without apparent reason. However, it's also good leverage to use on my section manager to get a new machine!

I recently talked to a person who was using a Dell PowerEdge (3 GHz, 4 GB of RAM) with the Across Language Server v4 (SP3) and he said things worked pretty well. Of course, that's a pretty fast machine.

That sort of power would make pretty much anything run well... kinda like having a nice expensive car and saying "Wow, I really do drive much better now!"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across and memory use?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »