Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:28
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Mar 23, 2009

I have a weird problem.
I have been using Across for almost a year, for various types of files, and this never happened.
My current installation is SP3_d7_en, which is the same as the server's version at my client's site.

I got a file assigned a few days ago, and to my great surprise, the Ctrl+Alt+Enter key combination does not set paragraph to "Translated". It sets it to "Touched", then automatically steps to the next paragraph. I have to go back and hit Alt+R to set it
... See more
I have a weird problem.
I have been using Across for almost a year, for various types of files, and this never happened.
My current installation is SP3_d7_en, which is the same as the server's version at my client's site.

I got a file assigned a few days ago, and to my great surprise, the Ctrl+Alt+Enter key combination does not set paragraph to "Translated". It sets it to "Touched", then automatically steps to the next paragraph. I have to go back and hit Alt+R to set it to Translated.

According to the PM, the task was created the same way as all others, using the same workflow, yet, it has this weird problem. I tried another file and that is fine.

They said they did not change my rights, I should have all 4 (translator, terminology, reviewer, corrector) assigned to me.

Yet, there is a difference even in the UI.
When I open files that are OK (I mean the Ctrl+Alt+Enter works as it supposed to work), I see the "Corrected" icon (the one with the checkmark) grayed out on the upper left side, next to the other 3 (Untranslated, Touched, Translated) icons. The two stepping icons with the green checkmark (Next Corrected, Previous corrected) are enabled.

When I open files that are not OK (I mean the Ctrl+Alt+Enter does NOT work as it supposed to work), I do not see the "Corrected" icon (the one with the checkmark) on the upper left side next to the other 3 (Untranslated, Touched, Translated) icons, it is missing. The two stepping icons with the green checkmark (Next Corrected, Previous corrected) are disabled - they are there, but grayed out.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Katalin
Collapse

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
United States
Local time: 11:28
English to German
Workflow Mar 26, 2009

Katalin,

I apologize for the late reply, but I was trying to reproduce and figure this one out.

What Workflow is being used here?

Uwe

[Bearbeitet am 2009-03-26 19:43 GMT]

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have no exact information about the workflow Mar 26, 2009

Hi Uwe,
As this is a project where my client created the project, the tasks, the workflow and everything else, and my only interaction with the server is retrieving and delivering the files, I have no idea about the workflow.

However, I contacted Across Support and they asked me the same thing, about the workflow. The only information I got from my client is that the workflow is the same default workflow that they used before, with all other files that were OK. Their default w
... See more
Hi Uwe,
As this is a project where my client created the project, the tasks, the workflow and everything else, and my only interaction with the server is retrieving and delivering the files, I have no idea about the workflow.

However, I contacted Across Support and they asked me the same thing, about the workflow. The only information I got from my client is that the workflow is the same default workflow that they used before, with all other files that were OK. Their default workflow is something they created when they originally installed the server, I believe.

Anyway, what my client did is unassigned the file, then did some adjustment on the server, and then reassigned it to me. After I retrieved the adjusted file, it seemed OK, the Ctlr+Alt+Enter works now as it supposed to work.

As to the nature of that "adjustment", all I could extract from my client is that they "reset the file to its original state" on the server. Don't ask me what that means exactly, because I have no idea, and that's all he would tell me.

I also don't know if they talked to Across Support (they asked me to forward all correspondence to them), so I am not sure whether this "adjustment" was suggested by Across, but I myself have not heard from Across since.

Katalin
Collapse

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
United States
English to German
Workflow Mar 26, 2009

Katalin,

I am glad it worked out. I have a pretty good idea what was done here. In a nutshell, they might have used the same workflow, but made some back end changes or someone did and it was overlooked along the line. What gave it away is when you stated that some options were greyed out.

This comes down to the configuration, because when done wrong it has unpredictable results. Thats why I suggested to across also the addition of a reset to default option, because the
... See more
Katalin,

I am glad it worked out. I have a pretty good idea what was done here. In a nutshell, they might have used the same workflow, but made some back end changes or someone did and it was overlooked along the line. What gave it away is when you stated that some options were greyed out.

This comes down to the configuration, because when done wrong it has unpredictable results. Thats why I suggested to across also the addition of a reset to default option, because the default settings are not too bad to get started and a large majority does not need to change them.

Uwe
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The icons did not change though, they are still grey Mar 26, 2009

Hi Uwe,
This is what I suspect, too. Some changes were done to the file, probably unintentionally.
But the interesting thing is that those icons I mentioned being grayed out and missing did not change, they are the same as when the Ctrl+Alt+Enter did not work.

I always thought those icons were strange, the icon to set a paragraph to "Corrected" was there, grayed out, but the buttons to step to the next and previous corrected paragraphs were there - these seemed illogical
... See more
Hi Uwe,
This is what I suspect, too. Some changes were done to the file, probably unintentionally.
But the interesting thing is that those icons I mentioned being grayed out and missing did not change, they are the same as when the Ctrl+Alt+Enter did not work.

I always thought those icons were strange, the icon to set a paragraph to "Corrected" was there, grayed out, but the buttons to step to the next and previous corrected paragraphs were there - these seemed illogical to me, especially that the files were always assigned as "Document Translation" task types, so they had nothing to do with "Correction".

Katalin
Collapse

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
United States
English to German
Workflow Mar 27, 2009

Katalin,

here is a little tip for the workflow in case you are asked again in case of issues.

When you receive a package and you import it into your system or log into it, it will show as a project on your system.

Switch to the project view, select the file and then click on Properties. This will show you the workflow in use. This is not shown in the project properties but on the individual file properties.

Uwe

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't understand it Mar 27, 2009

Uwe Schwenk wrote:

When you receive a package and you import it into your system or log into it, it will show as a project on your system.

Switch to the project view,

How? I can only see Tasks.
I am using the free Personal Edition of Across, maybe that's the problem?.

select the file and then click on Properties. This will show you the workflow in use. This is not shown in the project properties but on the individual file properties.

Uwe

I don't seem to have this feature, or I cannot find it.
Where should I look?
Katalin

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
United States
English to German
Tasks Mar 30, 2009

Katalin,

to access the projects proceed as follows:

In the first view when opening across on the left side in CrossBox there is the project icon. Click on this icon to switch to the project view.

Highlight the project. This will show you the files in the project.

Highlight a file and select properties. This will show you the workflow in use in the document tab (opened by default).

If this does not show it, you might want to contact
... See more
Katalin,

to access the projects proceed as follows:

In the first view when opening across on the left side in CrossBox there is the project icon. Click on this icon to switch to the project view.

Highlight the project. This will show you the files in the project.

Highlight a file and select properties. This will show you the workflow in use in the document tab (opened by default).

If this does not show it, you might want to contact support.

I am using 4.0 SP3c.

Uwe
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That is only available in Standalone mode Mar 30, 2009

Uwe,
What you are referring to is the view in Standalone mode.
I am not using that mode.
I am using Across in Remote Client (CrossWAN) mode, where I have to log on with the access key I got from my client.
Files are retrieved and delivered from and to their server via the internet.
So, in that case, I have no access to any project-level info, the highest level I can access is the Task level, which is the individual file. No workflow info, nothing is available there.
... See more
Uwe,
What you are referring to is the view in Standalone mode.
I am not using that mode.
I am using Across in Remote Client (CrossWAN) mode, where I have to log on with the access key I got from my client.
Files are retrieved and delivered from and to their server via the internet.
So, in that case, I have no access to any project-level info, the highest level I can access is the Task level, which is the individual file. No workflow info, nothing is available there.

Anyway, I just got am email from Across Support, where they suggested that the Workflow Template should be checked on the server (I cannot do it, only the PM at the company) to make sure that on the Task Templates Properties panel, on the Paragraph States tab, under Target State, both checkboxes (default and Finished) are checked for Translated.
Collapse

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
United States
English to German
Standalone Mar 30, 2009

Katalin,

I was under the impression that you were using standalone.

Sorry!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ctrl+Alt+Enter does not set paragraph to "Translated"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »