Mobile menu

filter Across translation memory by subject - help?
Thread poster: myska
Local time: 02:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 10, 2009

I am hoping that there is somebody out there who could advice me on the following.

I've just started working with Across after I first worked with Wordfast for a few weeks and I am rather confused about the way the translation memory is stored and filtered in Across. I understand that Across stores all the paired translation units in one large database. I also understand that I am meant to use the filters to determine which translation units I'd like the memory to consider during the translation.

To explain my confusion a bit more. When working with Wordfast you can choose which TM you want to use since your TMs tend to be stored seperately. That way you can determine which TMs you think would be useful for the translation at hand and merge them accordingly. Now. I've just imported one large TM into Across and am planning to do an evaluation of the program with it (I'm working on comparative evaluation of two TM tools: Across and Wordfast). This shouldn't be a problem since I have in the database only those translation units I want to use. However, later I wanted to import another large TM and do another evaluation using this TM only (excluding the TM imported as first). Now, if I import it into Across, it will automatically become part of one large TM merging together with the TM I imported first. How do I choose which TM I want Across to use?

I can see that filtering it by date could work. Since Across automatically stores the date on which the TM was imported. But then I was hoping that you could advice me on how I could filter it by subject. Both of my TMs come under the subject of European Union so I created this subject category for my first TM and a sub-subject under the European Union for my second TM. Thus I have the subjects created as an option in the filters. However, how do I assign this subject to the TM I imported? When I was importing it using tmx format I was not given any option like this. I assume that since you can filter the TM by subject you should be able to give your translation units stored at a particular time some attributes, such as subject. In other words, I assume that you should be able to manage your database and file the various "TMs" into different subcategories so that you can later on use the filters effectively. But how do I do that? Or is there not such an option?

Could you please help me?

Thank you,

Direct link Reply with quote
Uwe Schwenk
United States
Local time: 20:42
English to German
across translation memory Apr 10, 2009

I would actually recommend that you go a little through the tutorials on the across website as well as read the documentation some more.

It can become a little overwhelming because the concept behind across is fundamentally different from other tools such as Wordfast for example.

jens wencker  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:42
+ ...
Across translation memory Apr 22, 2009

Hello Martina,

When you import your TM (tmx file) you will have to map the TMX attribute values to Across attribute values (first window is not so important). The window where you set the Across value is the important one. Here you choose your relation and subject. If you don't do this and leave it as "None" you will create aone big TM which is almost impossible to filter.

Please keep in mind that in Across subject and sub-subject are on the same level, which does not make the most sense.

E.g. you have the subject Medical and you create sub subject Medical-Dental, you can't filter out Dental entries.
As you mentioned you could filter it by date.

I would then recommend to create a project settings template

Go to tools > System Settings > Project Settings template > click on new and name it.
In penalty settings you should set your penalties. If you enter "51" (or a higher number) in relation or subject, that would mean you will not get any entries of a different relation or subject if this template is chosen when starting a project.

In "Enable filter restrictions for cross Tank" you can define now your filter setting"

Again: Don't create a subject and then a sub-subject and assume you can filter one or the other out, that does not work. You have to create a different subject.
If you want to use them togehter, you can do that by creating a "Project Settings Template" and pick both subjects in "Enable Filter Restrictions For Cross Tank".

If you start a project, you will be asked which project template you want to use.

Another thing when importing a TM: I would always click "Import translation units with sentence segmentation!

Best Regards,

Local time: 02:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you so much, Jens Apr 23, 2009

I cannot thank you enough for your reply. I must have overlooked the step where you define Across attributes as you mentioned. I do not remember seing it but will definitely pay extra attention when I reload the TM.

Also, thank you for your tip on the sub-subject category! You've probably saved me a lot of time and "head scratching")

I would like to thank you for all your tips! I was giving up on getting any advice and I was thus very nicely suprised when I saw your post. I must say that Across wasn't exactly helpful in answering this question of mine when I posted it to them, twice, which suprised me really. I read the manual "At a glance" thoroughly but don't recall that this particularly issue would have been explained there. May be it is in the "Step by Step" manual, I will check this.

The reason why I am so interested in Across is that I am currently working on a postgraduate assignment in which I am looking at two TM tools: Across and Wordfast. You seem to know a lot about Across and I was wondering whether you would not mind answering few questions regarding your satisfaction with Across. It's a very simple questionaire I prepared. I've already collected some very helpful answers from few Across users. Would you like me to post it to you? (or on here?)

Thank you, Jens, so much

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

filter Across translation memory by subject - help?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs