Marie-Stephanie Proulx
Marie-Stephanie Proulx  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:48
Member (2007)
English to French
Aug 26, 2009

Hi all,

I have installed Across 2 days ago on my computer (Under the Vista environment) and since then it as been a nightmare.The program is crashing for no apparent reason. Sometimes I am not even able to start the program at all.

For example, this morning I tried to open it and right after I entered my password in the opening screen everything disappeared. There was no other Across screen appearing just as if it was closed. So when I tried to open the program again I
... See more
Hi all,

I have installed Across 2 days ago on my computer (Under the Vista environment) and since then it as been a nightmare.The program is crashing for no apparent reason. Sometimes I am not even able to start the program at all.

For example, this morning I tried to open it and right after I entered my password in the opening screen everything disappeared. There was no other Across screen appearing just as if it was closed. So when I tried to open the program again I received the message saying that the application was already running, and that I could not open a new instance. However, the problem is that I do not see the running application no matter what I do.

Since I've installed it, this problem as also occurred to other applications like Firefox. Is this something that happened to some you out there? As Across caused trouble on your computer? Is it because it is using an older database (SQL 2005 Express from Microsoft) that does not fit well with Vista? Any idea is welcome at this point since I am seriously thinking about throwing this program as far away as I can!

Thanks to you all

Marie
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 13:48
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
No problems Aug 26, 2009

No problems of the kind you mentioned here: Across v5 on Vista 64-bit. The installation was very, very difficult (it said it did not find a file necessary for the instalation of SQL server and I had to install it separately first and then install Across —what a messy procedure!), but the program now behaves quite good.

That said, I do not intend to use it as much as I used v4.0: I expected innovation (or, at least, renovation) for v5.0, yet I saw none.

[Edited at 2009-08-26
... See more
No problems of the kind you mentioned here: Across v5 on Vista 64-bit. The installation was very, very difficult (it said it did not find a file necessary for the instalation of SQL server and I had to install it separately first and then install Across —what a messy procedure!), but the program now behaves quite good.

That said, I do not intend to use it as much as I used v4.0: I expected innovation (or, at least, renovation) for v5.0, yet I saw none.

[Edited at 2009-08-26 14:56 GMT]
Collapse

Marie-Stephanie Proulx
Canada
Member (2007)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SQL Server Aug 26, 2009

I also had to install SQL Server separately, and it was a pretty difficult installation. I even had to reinstall it a couple of times since then.... I also noticed that since the first installation, Windows is doing multiple updates. I am seriously thinking about restoring my computer data from the day before the first installation and never touch that program again...

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Nightmare Aug 26, 2009

I've been having nightmares, but I thought they were of my own doing. Maybe they are partly, but your posts lead me to suspect that I am not the only one to blame.

To make a long story short, I now have Across 5 installed (or maybe partly installed, with some leftovers from Across 4), but my Windows XP Control Panel doesn't recognize it as being there, so I cannot uninstall it. Nor can I launch it, as I do not have a desktop icon, and could find nothing by rummaging around in the Pr
... See more
I've been having nightmares, but I thought they were of my own doing. Maybe they are partly, but your posts lead me to suspect that I am not the only one to blame.

To make a long story short, I now have Across 5 installed (or maybe partly installed, with some leftovers from Across 4), but my Windows XP Control Panel doesn't recognize it as being there, so I cannot uninstall it. Nor can I launch it, as I do not have a desktop icon, and could find nothing by rummaging around in the Program files that would launch it. I have a 400 MB behemoth sitting on my hard drive and can't do a thing with it.

I am using windows in a Virtual Box, inside a Linux shell, which may be making my problems worse.

Across support is trying to help me. We'll see...
I'm about to give up on it and go back to good old OmegaT.
Collapse

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Local time: 05:48
English to German
Installation Aug 26, 2009

Actually I did not have any of the issues mentioned. I installed on XP and Vista and did an Update as well as a clean install. Both went without any issues.

Uwe

ichibanmike
ichibanmike
Local time: 03:48
Japanese to English
Installation Aug 27, 2009

I installed Across Language Server v5 without a hitch on a Windows XP Professional system (albeit a demo system which may have fewer features than a normal install). I am not surprised that you would have trouble on an exotic system like one of those described here.

For those having trouble, if upgrading from V4 to V5, you might want to make sure all traces of v4 including registry entries are removed before starting the install. I am sure Across support can give info on how to do t
... See more
I installed Across Language Server v5 without a hitch on a Windows XP Professional system (albeit a demo system which may have fewer features than a normal install). I am not surprised that you would have trouble on an exotic system like one of those described here.

For those having trouble, if upgrading from V4 to V5, you might want to make sure all traces of v4 including registry entries are removed before starting the install. I am sure Across support can give info on how to do this.

Thanks,

Mike Holland
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
No good practice Aug 27, 2009

If you are required to clean any registry traces yourself, then that's too bad a programming practice, not our fault...

Version 5 they reached, yet the program still looks immature and cumbersome.

Marie-Stephanie Proulx
Canada
Member (2007)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Giving up for now Aug 27, 2009

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

If you are required to clean any registry traces yourself, then that's too bad a programming practice, not our fault...

I agree with you on that. Having to play around in the registry should not be something that the end user has to do. I am giving up for now on Across. I will do a recovery of my computer from the time where it all went well. Good times I tell you, Good times! And I will stay clear from that nightmarish software for a while and stay with Trados.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Speaking of nightmares… Aug 27, 2009

…Trados is equally, if not more, “nightmarish”, I think.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:48
French to Polish
+ ...
Procedure... Aug 31, 2009

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

When you uninstall A4 SP3, it asks to remove all the registry entries and folders left after the uninstall, it's not so bad

But, in fact, the setup may be difficult.

IMHO the safest procedure is to:
1) Finish all the ongoing projects
2) Backup the TMs/termbases
3) Uninstall A4
4) Remove manually the SQL server instance related to A4 (use Control Panel, then select the ACROSS data base from the list)*
5) Restart
6) Install Across 5 and the new SQL Server instance.**/***
7) Restart
8) Restore your data.

* The automated install fails to create automatically the new database when you decide to replace the old one during the setup.

** If you have multiple SQL servers related to different software, stop 'em before you start Across 5 installation (use Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services).

*** The serial numbers from precedent versions work with the version 5, you don't must renew 'em.

I didn't test it yet.

Cheers
GG

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
To Grzegorz: I can't do it! Aug 31, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

When you uninstall A4 SP3, it asks to remove all the registry entries and folders left after the uninstall, it's not so bad

But, in fact, the setup may be difficult.

IMHO the safest procedure is to:
1) Finish all the ongoing projects
2) Backup the TMs/termbases
3) Uninstall A4
4) Remove manually the SQL server instance related to A4 (use Control Panel, then select the ACROSS data base from the list)*
5) Restart
6) Install Across 5 and the new SQL Server instance.**/***
7) Restart
8) Restore your data.

* The automated install fails to create automatically the new database when you decide to replace the old one during the setup.

** If you have multiple SQL servers related to different software, stop 'em before you start Across 5 installation (use Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services).

*** The serial numbers from precedent versions work with the version 5, you don't must renew 'em.

Unfortunately, I had already proceeded without your good advice, and am stuck. Across Support is not answering my emails--maybe they have too many queries. I have Across in Windows in VirtualBox, in a Linux shell, which maybe makes things more troublesome, I don't know. (I'm not an expert; my son set this VB up for me and then went away to college...)

I uninstalled A4. I don't remember it saying anything about the registry (maybe it did and I just don't remember). I had no idea about the SQL Server having to be treated separately. Then I installed A5, and it seemed as though everything went okay. But when I tried to launch it, I realized I had no desktop launcher icon, and when I went to the Program files, I couldn't find any way to launch it. I looked through Control Panel in "Add and Remove," and NOTHING was there from Across. I tried clicking the Setup.exe again, and it said it could not install because there were no Across files, and the setup was going to exit. It did.

It seems to me that I have some of A4 still on the machine, and some of A5--400 MB sitting on my hard drive which I can neither remove nor use.

If you have any advice, I'd be happy to hear it! You sound like you know what you're talking about.

(This is not an urgent matter, since I have no "real work" on Across. I am still trying to learn how to use it.)

Thanks,
Susan

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Removing Across manually... Sep 1, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:

Unfortunately, I had already proceeded without your good advice, and am stuck. Across Support is not answering my emails--maybe they have too many queries. I have Across in Windows in VirtualBox, in a Linux shell, which maybe makes things more troublesome, I don't know. (I'm not an expert; my son set this VB up for me and then went away to college...)[/quote]
Basically, the virtual machines are just like the real ones.
One of the major differences is they're much easier to restore, you just copy few files from backup, just ask your son
I use VMx very often for testing but I use VMWare Server and Virtual PC, I have no idea about VB.
It's not due to some negative opinion, I'm just lazy

I uninstalled A4. I don't remember it saying anything about the registry (maybe it did and I just don't remember). I had no idea about the SQL Server having to be treated separately.

In fact, it's a setup quirk.
The A4 SQL server instance should be removed/converted automatically but it is not, at least by the setup version I downloaded.
In a similar way, I experienced some SQL server setup problems when upgrading from A4 SP2 to SP3, AFAIR (not sure, maybe A4 to A4 SP2...), so I paid more attention with this major upgrade.

Then I installed A5, and it seemed as though everything went okay. But when I tried to launch it, I realized I had no desktop launcher icon, and when I went to the Program files, I couldn't find any way to launch it. I looked through Control Panel in "Add and Remove," and NOTHING was there from Across. I tried clicking the Setup.exe again, and it said it could not install because there were no Across files, and the setup was going to exit. It did.

Decidely, something went wrong during the setup.
In this case, the first thing to do is to restart the machine and retry.

It seems to me that I have some of A4 still on the machine, and some of A5--400 MB sitting on my hard drive which I can neither remove nor use.

If you have any advice, I'd be happy to hear it! You sound like you know what you're talking about.

I think you should remove all the Across stuff manually.
I assume you have Windows XP.
And, first of all, restart before you proceed
Make sure you're logged on as administrator or user with administrative rights.

You have 4 steps:

1) you should remove manualy the ACROSS SQL server instance.
a) go to Control Panel, select Add od Remove Programs, select Microsoft SQL Server 2005. click Remove, in the dialog box, select ACROSS, then Next etc., it may take some time.
b) when finished, restart
c) go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server and search for folders like MSSQL.1, if you have only one MSSQL.x folder, delete it.
I you have more of them, go to go MSSQL.x\LOG and see if the ERRORLOG file contains a statement like "Server name is 'PUSSYCAT\ACROSS" where PUSSYCAT is the name of your machine. In this way you can locate the correct MSSQL instance for deletion.

2) remove manually the Across files i.e. C:\Program Files\across
(I assume your Windows is installed by default on the C: drive).

3) remove the Across registry settings
a) in the Start menu, select Run, then type regedit
b) go to HKEY_CURENT_USER\Software, right click across and select Delete in the context menu
c) go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE, right click across and select Delete in the context menu
d) close Registry Editor and restart

4) clean up the C:\Documents and Settings\%UserName%\Local Settings\Temp folder, you can delete all the files/folders you find there.
If some (few) files can't be deleted, don't worry.

Then you can reinstall Across 5, I hope.
It's a standard procedure but I didn't tested it for Across, I always managed finally to use the automated setup.

(This is not an urgent matter, since I have no "real work" on Across.

Neither me.

I am still trying to learn how to use it.)

It's an interesting tool.
I use it sometimes in a perverse way as a Trados terminology export converter.
Unlike the Trados ones, it works

PS.
A "stupid" idea.
Try to run the file C:\Program Files\across\Across\across.exe
If Across starts correctly, you have only a minor (but annoying) setup problem related to icons etc.
In this case, you can create the shortcuts manually.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-09-01 08:59 GMT]

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Across nightmare Sep 1, 2009

me too

I was forced to install it as an agency of mine wants to switch completely from SDL to Across
but
I had to fight 2 days exchanging lot of e-mails with Across support to defeat this beast!
;-D

I have Windows XP Pro SP3

I've never installed previous versions of Across

I had to uninstall and install over and over SQL server, downloading it from various sources, and finally it worked

slow and steady wins the ra
... See more
me too

I was forced to install it as an agency of mine wants to switch completely from SDL to Across
but
I had to fight 2 days exchanging lot of e-mails with Across support to defeat this beast!
;-D

I have Windows XP Pro SP3

I've never installed previous versions of Across

I had to uninstall and install over and over SQL server, downloading it from various sources, and finally it worked

slow and steady wins the race., but apart a strong suspect on SQL issues, I don't still know why I won

a month after I received the first Across job and all was fine

the only disadvantage is that you must (?) work on-line, so you have no control on memory created
i.e. the memory is no more yours

Claudio

[Edited at 2009-09-01 08:47 GMT]
Collapse

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
Thanks, Grzegorz Sep 1, 2009

I will try to follow your instructions when I am nice and calm and not rushing off to an office job! I much appreciate your taking the time to write all that down.

Susan

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Upgrading to A5... minor quirks... Sep 1, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:

I will try to follow your instructions when I am nice and calm and not rushing off to an office job! I much appreciate your taking the time to write all that down.

Thanks

BTW.
Today, I installed succesfully A5 PE as upgrade on two test machines using the file
ftp://ftp.across.net/across_5.0/Update_Across_v5.0_en_PE.zip
Two minor quirks:
1) on Vista, the .Net Framework 2.0 setup displays a false error message (in fact, .Net 2.0 does work on Vista, e.g. see the Trados 2007 family setup), just ignore it.
2) for very, very old installations dating from the 3.x epoch, the setup asks for the old sä password (sa123456) in order to connect to the SQL server.
Some IT imagination/experience required but generally, well done.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-09-01 20:19 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Across installation gives me nightmare

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »