Problems with SQL Server whilst installing Across
Thread poster: GreenUK
Sep 28, 2011

Hello,

When I try and install Across (Version 5.0 SP1) I get up to the stage where it asks me to install the SQL Server (SQL Server 2005 Express Edition). The files extract successfully and it then starts installing the different components: MSXML6, SQL Setup Support Files, SQL Native Client, SQL VSS Writer and SQL Server Database Services. It starts by installing SQL Setup Support Files and SQL Native Client. Both of these install without any problem. However, once it starts workin
... See more
Hello,

When I try and install Across (Version 5.0 SP1) I get up to the stage where it asks me to install the SQL Server (SQL Server 2005 Express Edition). The files extract successfully and it then starts installing the different components: MSXML6, SQL Setup Support Files, SQL Native Client, SQL VSS Writer and SQL Server Database Services. It starts by installing SQL Setup Support Files and SQL Native Client. Both of these install without any problem. However, once it starts working on SQL VSS Writer, it quickly puts a green tick next to it, followed straight away by a red cross next to MSXML6 and SQL Server Database Services. Then I get an error message explaining that SQL Server 2005 could not be installed.

Unfortunately, I've never worked with an SQL server before and despite trying to find an answer elsewhere, haven't managed to solve my problem. I'm just starting out as a translator so I really would appreciate any help with getting this sorted as it's pretty important that I do!

Also, I downloaded the software yesterday but still haven't received a validation key. Does it usually take a few days?

Many thanks in advance!
Collapse

Hazel Underwood
Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:51
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Windows Sep 28, 2011

What version of Windows OS do you have?

There have been problems in the past with XP SP 3:

http://www.ferolen.com/blog/error-install-ms-sql-server-express-in-windows-xp-sp3-msxml6-sp2/

I can't remember how long it took for my validation key to come through, but you can use it without one for 30 days I thin
... See more
What version of Windows OS do you have?

There have been problems in the past with XP SP 3:

http://www.ferolen.com/blog/error-install-ms-sql-server-express-in-windows-xp-sp3-msxml6-sp2/

I can't remember how long it took for my validation key to come through, but you can use it without one for 30 days I think so don't panic!

Good luck,

Hazel
Collapse

GreenUK
GreenUK
TOPIC STARTER
Success Sep 29, 2011

Hi Hazel,

Thank you very much for that link to the blog. I followed what it said and Across installed with no problems. Very pleased! I have now also received my validation key.

Many thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with SQL Server whilst installing Across

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »