Thread poster: Anne LJ
Anne LJ
Anne LJ
Local time: 18:59
Spanish to French
+ ...
Sep 26, 2013

VERY URGENT

I have just installed Windows 8 and installed the latest Across version v.5.7 56527_fr.

Now big problem: Windows 8 doesn't recognize the .cap file (key for server) and I need to know the necessary default programm to associate with .cap files in order to access to the Across Client server.

Many thanks in advance

Anne

felicij
felicij  Identity Verified
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Why? Sep 26, 2013

I don't see a problem. A CAP file is used for accessing Across and you don't double click it nor open it.
Just open Across and in the pop-up window click on Standby Remote Client and then Import the CAP file.

Anne LJ
Anne LJ
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved with CapReg.exe Sep 26, 2013

Thank you Felicij for your reply. You are right, but the conection is impossible if in "Default Programs" the application is not the right one....

Solution for the next ones...

Control Panel / Programs / Default Programs

choose

Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program

Look for extension .cap, mark it and open above right Change program

Click More options and then Search another application on your com
... See more
Thank you Felicij for your reply. You are right, but the conection is impossible if in "Default Programs" the application is not the right one....

Solution for the next ones...

Control Panel / Programs / Default Programs

choose

Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program

Look for extension .cap, mark it and open above right Change program

Click More options and then Search another application on your computer, go to

C:\Program Files\across\patch_latest_state\1036

and click on

CapReg.exe

Have a nice evening
Anne
Collapse

Emmanuelle Monnet
Emmanuelle Monnet  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
invalid cap file Oct 19, 2015

Hi all,

don't know if this thread is still followed but I'll try anyway.

I used to use Across on my former laptop. It still works on this laptop by the way.
I bought a new one earlier this year and installed everything as usual, including Across.
This time I installed version 6.0.
My pc runs on a Windows 8 environment.
The install went fine but when I want access the remote client version and import the cap file I used before, I get this error m
... See more
Hi all,

don't know if this thread is still followed but I'll try anyway.

I used to use Across on my former laptop. It still works on this laptop by the way.
I bought a new one earlier this year and installed everything as usual, including Across.
This time I installed version 6.0.
My pc runs on a Windows 8 environment.
The install went fine but when I want access the remote client version and import the cap file I used before, I get this error message :
the softkey cannot be imported. The softkey is either invalid or not supported by the currently installed Across version.

I contacted the Across support. I was asked to disable the windows firewall, antivirus etc. I did all this but I'm still stuck. They say that it is compatible with W8.
the support is convinced I'm just not doing what they advise and just keep repeating the instructions.

I read a post about a search and protect programme running in the background but I don't really know what to look for.

Does anybody have an idea of what to do to solve the problem?
I'm working on two computers and this is not really ideal.

thanks in advance for your help,

Emmanuelle
Collapse

Anne LJ
Anne LJ
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Capreg.exe Oct 19, 2015

Bonjour Emmanuelle,

J'ai eu le même problème que vous, mais je l'ai résolu à nouveau en suivant la procédure décrite dans la réponse précédente (26/9/2013 cap.reg.exe). Si la manipulation n'est pas suffisamment claire, je vous la décris à nouveau.

Cordialement

Anne

AAV
AAV
Local time: 23:59
Two types of clients in Across Nov 6, 2015

Emmanuelle Monnet wrote:
the softkey cannot be imported. The softkey is either invalid or not supported by the currently installed Across version.

There are two types of clients in Across (two types of softkeys correspondingly) - Online and Offline. Online is when you connect directly to the server and all tasks are already there. With offline softkey you need to download tasks first.
Error you get usually indicates that you are using unsupported type of client - most likely, you try to use Online client having Personal Edition installed. You need special client (Across Remote Client) to use such a softkey.

Are you sure you are using exactly the same softkey on another PC? If so, is it online or offline?
You probably should contact your PM to verify, that they've provided you with a correct softkey...

Kind regards,
Almara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 8 and .cap files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »