Thread poster: Andreas Schweitzer
Andreas Schweitzer
Andreas Schweitzer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:21
German to English
+ ...
Oct 2, 2014

Is there any possibility to copy multiple segments to the target column in the editor? Alt + PgDown copies a single segment to the target side, but how can I do this as a batch task? I have hundreds of variable names in a document which must not be changed, so this function would be extremely helpful for me...

Gibt es eine Möglichkeit, mehrere Segmente in die Zieltext-Spalte des Editors zu kopieren? Alt + Bild runter kopiert ein einzelnes Segment auf die Zielseite, aber wie kann ma
... See more
Is there any possibility to copy multiple segments to the target column in the editor? Alt + PgDown copies a single segment to the target side, but how can I do this as a batch task? I have hundreds of variable names in a document which must not be changed, so this function would be extremely helpful for me...

Gibt es eine Möglichkeit, mehrere Segmente in die Zieltext-Spalte des Editors zu kopieren? Alt + Bild runter kopiert ein einzelnes Segment auf die Zielseite, aber wie kann man das mit mehreren Segmenten auf einmal tun? Ich habe ein Dokument, das u.a. Hunderte Variablennamen enthält, die unverändert überneommen werden müssen, deshalb wäre eine solche Funktion sehr hilfreich für mich ...
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Possible workaround Oct 2, 2014

Hello Andreas,

(Currently Across is not installed on my system – I'm waiting for version 6 to be released.)

One possible workaround (one that's only worthwhile if you have to deal with many segments):

* Open the project in any other CAT tool (like in CafeTran, my tool of choice).
* Filter on all segments containing variables.
* For the filtered selection copy all sources to targets.
* Send ('Commit') the thus populated TUs
... See more
Hello Andreas,

(Currently Across is not installed on my system – I'm waiting for version 6 to be released.)

One possible workaround (one that's only worthwhile if you have to deal with many segments):

* Open the project in any other CAT tool (like in CafeTran, my tool of choice).
* Filter on all segments containing variables.
* For the filtered selection copy all sources to targets.
* Send ('Commit') the thus populated TUs to the Translation Memory.
* Export the TM to TMX.
* Import the TMX file in Across.
* Use the updated TM for pretranslating.

A lot of steps indeed.

Cheers,

Hans

PS Drew hinted on possible support for bidirectional XLIFF exchange, in a reply to my question at this week's Across presentation. Wouldn't that be good news?
Collapse

Andreas Schweitzer
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No easier way? Oct 2, 2014

2nl wrote:

A lot of steps indeed.

Hi Hans,
thanks for your reply. But to be honest, this is WAY too complicated. I thought about something like "Highlight multiple segments and press a certain shortcut and it's done".
You can assign a different status to multiple segments, you can delete the entire target text column (to get rid of others' pre-translations) etc. Why can't you just copy source to target for multiple segments at once? Possibly only Across knows ...
Cheers,
Andreas

PS Across 6 is out now!

AAV
AAV
Local time: 01:21
2 possible options Oct 6, 2014

Hi Andreas,

there are two options which probably will work for you (though they are not exactly what you were looking for):
1) In Tools menu, there is a possibility to Copy all source text to target. This will copy ALL segments to target text (so here there is no possibility to "mark segment to be copied").
2) On a "Copy paragraph" button (which does the same as "Alt + Page Down"), there is also a small arrow, which opens a dropdown menu with "Permanent copy paragraph" o
... See more
Hi Andreas,

there are two options which probably will work for you (though they are not exactly what you were looking for):
1) In Tools menu, there is a possibility to Copy all source text to target. This will copy ALL segments to target text (so here there is no possibility to "mark segment to be copied").
2) On a "Copy paragraph" button (which does the same as "Alt + Page Down"), there is also a small arrow, which opens a dropdown menu with "Permanent copy paragraph" option. If you activate it, source text will be copied to target column automatically as soon as you activate the paragraph.

Best,
Almara
Collapse

Andreas Schweitzer
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copy paragraph Oct 7, 2014

AAV wrote:

2) On a "Copy paragraph" button (which does the same as "Alt + Page Down"), there is also a small arrow, which opens a dropdown menu with "Permanent copy paragraph" option. If you activate it, source text will be copied to target column automatically as soon as you activate the paragraph.

Hi Almara,
thanks for your reply. Option 2 sounds interesting. Where do I find this button? I normally use keyboard shortcuts, and I haven't found such a button nor a corresponding menu item ... Thanks a lot!
Andreas

Edit: Heureka! I've finally found the button in the target editor tool bar! And yes, although thisis not exactly what I was looking for, but it saves a couple of clicks indeed. Thanks again!

[Edited at 2014-10-07 07:17 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy multiple segments to target column

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »