Change CAT Tool - how do I keep my TM?
Thread poster: Claudia Lerch
Claudia Lerch
Local time: 16:50
German to Italian
May 17

Hi! I've been working with Across for 4 years now, never updating my first version. As I now changed PC, I thought to download the newest version... what a mistake! I can no longer check out my translations, in order to do it, I must "upgrade", which costs 20 Euro a month! For my amount of work it is too much. Therefore I need to change CAT Tool. The problem is, I don't want to loose all the TM and the terms I built up in 4 years. Can somebody help? Thank you!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

CafeTran Training
Netherlands
Member (2016)
Export to TMX/TBX/CSV? May 18

Claudia Lerch wrote:

Hi! I've been working with Across for 4 years now, never updating my first version. As I now changed PC, I thought to download the newest version... what a mistake! I can no longer check out my translations, in order to do it, I must "upgrade", which costs 20 Euro a month! For my amount of work it is too much. Therefore I need to change CAT Tool. The problem is, I don't want to loose all the TM and the terms I built up in 4 years. Can somebody help? Thank you!!!

Doesn't Across offer a way to export your previous work? E.g. export translation memories to TMX and glossaries to TBX or CSV?

If this isn't possible: can you open its databases with Microsoft Access? Are these data encrypted?

There are some certified Across trainers present here, e.g. this one http://www.proz.com/profile/77068.

[Edited at 2017-05-18 09:01 GMT]

Claudia Lerch
German to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
How about import? May 18

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, it seems I can export the database, but do other CAT tool allow importing? Is it no problem? I am not so good at programming round.... No need to ask: as I need a new tool, you would recommend CafeTran, wouldn't you?

CafeTran Training
Netherlands
Member (2016)
Other CAT tools can import TMX May 19

Claudia Lerch wrote:

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, it seems I can export the database, but do other CAT tool allow importing? Is it no problem? I am not so good at programming round.... No need to ask: as I need a new tool, you would recommend CafeTran, wouldn't you?

Other tools can import TMX or CSV or TBX. These are universal standards for exchanging data.

CafeTran is a good choice. You can also use it on a MacBook (which is quite popular amongst interpreters).

I can help you to set CafeTran up and to migrate your data.

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:50
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
OmegaT May 19

Claudia Lerch wrote:

Yes, it seems I can export the database, but do other CAT tool allow importing? Is it no problem?

OmegaT does not import TMX files. It works with them directly. No problem with valid TMX files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change CAT Tool - how do I keep my TM?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs