https://www.proz.com/forum/across_support/314947-change_cat_tool_how_do_i_keep_my_tm.html

Change CAT Tool - how do I keep my TM?
Thread poster: Claudia Bonacquisti Lerch
Claudia Bonacquisti Lerch
Austria
Local time: 13:54
German to Italian
May 17, 2017

Hi! I've been working with Across for 4 years now, never updating my first version. As I now changed PC, I thought to download the newest version... what a mistake! I can no longer check out my translations, in order to do it, I must "upgrade", which costs 20 Euro a month! For my amount of work it is too much. Therefore I need to change CAT Tool. The problem is, I don't want to loose all the TM and the terms I built up in 4 years. Can somebody help? Thank you!!!

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Export to TMX/TBX/CSV? May 18, 2017

Claudia Lerch wrote:

Hi! I've been working with Across for 4 years now, never updating my first version. As I now changed PC, I thought to download the newest version... what a mistake! I can no longer check out my translations, in order to do it, I must "upgrade", which costs 20 Euro a month! For my amount of work it is too much. Therefore I need to change CAT Tool. The problem is, I don't want to loose all the TM and the terms I built up in 4 years. Can somebody help? Thank you!!!

Doesn't Across offer a way to export your previous work? E.g. export translation memories to TMX and glossaries to TBX or CSV?

If this isn't possible: can you open its databases with Microsoft Access? Are these data encrypted?

There are some certified Across trainers present here, e.g. this one http://www.proz.com/profile/77068.

[Edited at 2017-05-18 09:01 GMT]

Austria
German to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
How about import? May 18, 2017

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, it seems I can export the database, but do other CAT tool allow importing? Is it no problem? I am not so good at programming round.... No need to ask: as I need a new tool, you would recommend CafeTran, wouldn't you?

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Other CAT tools can import TMX May 19, 2017

Claudia Lerch wrote:

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, it seems I can export the database, but do other CAT tool allow importing? Is it no problem? I am not so good at programming round.... No need to ask: as I need a new tool, you would recommend CafeTran, wouldn't you?

Other tools can import TMX or CSV or TBX. These are universal standards for exchanging data.

CafeTran is a good choice. You can also use it on a MacBook (which is quite popular amongst interpreters).

I can help you to set CafeTran up and to migrate your data.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:54
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OmegaT May 19, 2017

Claudia Lerch wrote:

Yes, it seems I can export the database, but do other CAT tool allow importing? Is it no problem?

OmegaT does not import TMX files. It works with them directly. No problem with valid TMX files.

Jan Kapoun
Jan Kapoun  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Export all CrossTank for a given language pair at once Apr 24, 2022

You can export all CrossTank translations for a given language pair from Across at once using this tool and process:
https://youtu.be/vv45pT3xJXg

Jan Kapoun
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Across uses the Microsoft SQL Database server to store its translations Apr 24, 2022

CafeTran Training (X) wrote:

If this isn't possible: can you open its databases with Microsoft Access? Are these data encrypted?

Across uses the Microsoft SQL Database server to store its translations, namely the across_ctank database. No, this data are not encrypted. At worst, they are coded as a Base64 string, which looks like sort of encrypted, but is really not.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Great approach Apr 24, 2022

Jan Kapoun wrote:

You can export all CrossTank translations for a given language pair from Across at once using this tool and process:
https://youtu.be/vv45pT3xJXg

Jan, I didn't evaluate your software (yet), but I must say: this looks great. Looks like you have found a way to extract the TUs from the DB.

Good work!

If this can open the locked workflow that Across represents: all the better.

Jan Kapoun
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
I actually very much enjoy playing with Across now :) Apr 24, 2022

Hans Lenting wrote:

Good work!

If this can open the locked workflow that Across represents: all the better.

Thanks Hans! I actually have a very strong emotional attachment to Across... I felt so many times pi**ed off with this software that I now actually enjoy very much playing with it

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change CAT Tool - how do I keep my TM?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »