Does anyone have experience with Across Translation Suite and Heartsome Translation Suite?
Thread poster: Ara Mkrtchyan (X)
Ara Mkrtchyan (X)
Ara Mkrtchyan (X)  Identity Verified
Armenia
Local time: 17:45
English to Armenian
+ ...
Oct 7, 2006

I found these programs on the net, but naturally read positive feedbacks on their homepages. But I haven't even heard of them so far ni any forum. Can these be regarded as rivals to Trados, Deja Vu and Wordfast?

Rgrds,
Ara

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
Heartsome works with Linux and Mac Oct 7, 2006

And that's the good thing about it. I downloaded the trial version, and found the interface not so intuitive and a bit hard to work with. It supposedly has very powerful features, but I didn't have the time or patience to learn all about them.

Perhaps I didn't give it a fair chance, but I think Wordfast or DejaVu are a lot easier to learn and use.

[Editado a las 2006-10-07 23:35]

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Different target audience Oct 8, 2006

I don't think you can actually say that across or Heartsome are rivals for the well-established CAT tools, such as Trados or WF.

However, they are targeting a different audience. across can be interesting for translators whose clients use across to create projects on their servers, and to which they can connect in order to work on a translation.

Heartsome is a tool that will run on all OS that support Java: Linux, Mac and Win. Apart from their XLIFF Editor, which is th
... See more
I don't think you can actually say that across or Heartsome are rivals for the well-established CAT tools, such as Trados or WF.

However, they are targeting a different audience. across can be interesting for translators whose clients use across to create projects on their servers, and to which they can connect in order to work on a translation.

Heartsome is a tool that will run on all OS that support Java: Linux, Mac and Win. Apart from their XLIFF Editor, which is the actual CAT tool, they offer a Dictionary Editor and a TMX Editor (or the whole Translation Suite, if you need to have all three editors). Especially the last two editors have become very popular, even without the XLIFF Editor.

I tried both (across and Heartsome), and bought a license for the XLIFF Editor. I didn't like across at all, and removed it from my computer.

I still have Heartsome on my computer, and will probably continue to use it under Linux. However, the interface is IMHO not very intuitive, and the fact that only one segment at a time is displayed makes it difficult to use. At least, I need more time to review my translations due to the lack of context (previous and following segments). There is an option to display more context, but it is only available as a separate window that flows on top of the main window, and that is even more disturbing than not having any context at all.

Sonja
Collapse

Ara Mkrtchyan (X)
Ara Mkrtchyan (X)  Identity Verified
Armenia
Local time: 17:45
English to Armenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Other CATs don't have it? Oct 8, 2006

sonjav wrote:

Sonja

Don't other CAT tools like Trados or Wordfast support this?

Ara

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not the same Oct 8, 2006

Don't other CAT tools like Trados or Wordfast support this?

I have no clue whether WF and Trados support full online collaboration. With "full" I don't just mean TM sharing over a network or the internet, I am talking about a complete project that remains on a central server.

Furthermore, across seems to support more formats, including executables and dlls, which at least WF does not support (not sure about Trados).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone have experience with Across Translation Suite and Heartsome Translation Suite?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »