Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:01
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was a straightforward factual question Mar 22, 2003

which received a straightforward factual answer - for which I thank you heartily.

It pleases me greatly to learn that he has adopted such a serious attitude to his ambassadorial duties.

Diana Kristo
Diana Kristo
United States
Local time: 19:01
English to Albanian
+ ...
Norman could not speak Albanian Mar 22, 2003

Dear Dan,

I am the translator of most of N.Wisdom\'s films into Albanian. His films were among the very few that were not censured. By mid 80s, my dear friend Mira Shuteriqi (Blushi), Foreign Relations Director of the Albanian TV (the only TV station in Albania at that time)met with one of his personal friends in Cane Film Festival and extended him an invitation to visit Albania. He could not realize it until the mid 90s. The second time he visited Albania was with an English soccer te
... See more
Dear Dan,

I am the translator of most of N.Wisdom\'s films into Albanian. His films were among the very few that were not censured. By mid 80s, my dear friend Mira Shuteriqi (Blushi), Foreign Relations Director of the Albanian TV (the only TV station in Albania at that time)met with one of his personal friends in Cane Film Festival and extended him an invitation to visit Albania. He could not realize it until the mid 90s. The second time he visited Albania was with an English soccer team.

He did not speak a word of Albanian and I don\'t know if he ever tried to learn Albanian.

I hope this will help.

Diana
Collapse

Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:01
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which soccer team... Mar 23, 2003

...was he playing for? He is better known in England as a comedian. Though it doesn\'t surprise me to learn that he is also a fine footballer as he is a man of remarkable talents.

Do you think there is any chance he might run for the Presidency?

Diana Kristo
Diana Kristo
United States
English to Albanian
+ ...
Little known to younger generation Mar 23, 2003

He is less known to younger generations. Teenagers barely know him at all.

The second time he came to Albania was with a soccer team. He did not play soccer but he performed something in the stadium.

[ This Message was edited by: Dr.Diana Kristo on 2003-03-23 14:47]

[ This Message was edited by: Dr.Diana Kristo on 2003-03-23 16:10]

Diana Kristo
Diana Kristo
United States
English to Albanian
+ ...
What Presidency Mar 23, 2003

Albanian Presidency you mean? No chance.

Anila Mayhew (X)
Anila Mayhew (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:01
English to Albanian
+ ...
Link about Norman Wisdom and Albania Mar 24, 2003

Dear Dan,

I do remember Norman Wisdom\'s movies quite well since he was one of the few comedians whose movies were allowed in Albania during communism. He was known by most Albanians as \"Pitkini\" with some of his famous movies such as \"Pitkini ne dyqan\" (Pitkin at the store) \"Pitkini ne spital\" (Pitkin in the hospital) etc.

I found the following link from BBC news which talks more about his visit to Albania and his participation in soccer games.
... See more
Dear Dan,

I do remember Norman Wisdom\'s movies quite well since he was one of the few comedians whose movies were allowed in Albania during communism. He was known by most Albanians as \"Pitkini\" with some of his famous movies such as \"Pitkini ne dyqan\" (Pitkin at the store) \"Pitkini ne spital\" (Pitkin in the hospital) etc.

I found the following link from BBC news which talks more about his visit to Albania and his participation in soccer games. Here it is:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1251000/1251406.stm

Hope this helps.

Anila Mayhew

Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Does Norman Wisdom...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »