CAT tools: Advantages/Disadvantages of Catalyst?
Thread poster: Rodrigo Mencía
Rodrigo Mencía
Rodrigo Mencía  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 7, 2007

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying Catalyst, but I would like to hear the opinion of those who have used or currently use it. Do you think it's as important as having Trados/Wordfast? Do clients look for translators who use Catalyst? What about Catalyst and Windows (XP/Vista) or Trados... do they get on well?

Your opinion will help me make up my mind

Regards,

Rodrigo

Andrej
Andrej  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:07
Member (2005)
German to Russian
+ ...
- Jul 7, 2007

It's a localization tool, not a TM-tool like Trados and so on. I use Catalyst Lite, as all customers give me their orders prepared to work in the Lite version. And I would not buy the "big" version as I think it is not a suitable investment for a freelancer.

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Agree Jul 7, 2007

I also use the lite version which is free. As long as your agency has the full version this is all you need. But if you have many direct clients it might be worth it.

Chantal Kamgne
Chantal Kamgne  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:07
Member (2006)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Exactly Jul 7, 2007

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:

I also use the lite version which is free. As long as your agency has the full version this is all you need. But if you have many direct clients it might be worth it.

I couldn't have said it better.

Chantal

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:07
English to Russian
Let me disagree Jul 8, 2007

Andrej wrote:

I think it is not a suitable investment for a freelancer.

Yes, you can do with Lite version for jobs with files converted for you by an agency. But Catalyst is probably the best tool for translating web sites as it presents the web pages in WYSIWYG mode and you can see both the source and the target in the same page. I have the Translator Pro version. It cost me Euro 500, but I do not regret buying it.
It comes in handy from time to time. Though, not very often I must admit.

Daniela Colombo
Daniela Colombo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Too late for the Lite version? May 18, 2015

Hi all, I would like to download Catalyst for free (Lite version): does anyone know whether it's still available?

Cheers,

Daniela Colombo

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

CAT tools: Advantages/Disadvantages of Catalyst?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »