Translatio traditio est
Thread poster: Andres Pacheco

Andres Pacheco  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 24, 2004

Hi there

Thanks for reviving this forum, and for the opportunity of sharing thoughts and asking questions.

I wanted to ask something to anybody who may know; I'm interested in the origins of the phrase that appears as the subject of this topic. The only references I have been able to find were limited mentions to it in the Internet and an attribution to St. Jerome, without sources.

Does anybody know where it comes from? Was it later used "correctly" when giving way to "traduttore-traditore"? What are the connotations of the Latin words when used in the original quote and context?

Any hint appreciated.

Best regards,

Andrés

[Edited at 2004-06-25 05:20]

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Bartley  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:00
Member (2011)
Latin to English
+ ...
Will try Phi Jun 29, 2004

I don't know off-hand where it comes from, but I'll fire it at my Phi cd tonight and see if that produces the phrase. The beauty of Latin is that, due to the comparative lack of it, these searches take much less time than for Greek.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translatio traditio est

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs