Thread poster: Andres Pacheco
Andres Pacheco
Andres Pacheco  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 24, 2004

Hi there

Thanks for reviving this forum, and for the opportunity of sharing thoughts and asking questions.

I wanted to ask something to anybody who may know; I'm interested in the origins of the phrase that appears as the subject of this topic. The only references I have been able to find were limited mentions to it in the Internet and an attribution to St. Jerome, without sources.

Does anybody know where it comes from? Was it later used "correctly" when gi
... See more
Hi there

Thanks for reviving this forum, and for the opportunity of sharing thoughts and asking questions.

I wanted to ask something to anybody who may know; I'm interested in the origins of the phrase that appears as the subject of this topic. The only references I have been able to find were limited mentions to it in the Internet and an attribution to St. Jerome, without sources.

Does anybody know where it comes from? Was it later used "correctly" when giving way to "traduttore-traditore"? What are the connotations of the Latin words when used in the original quote and context?

Any hint appreciated.

Best regards,

Andrés

[Edited at 2004-06-25 05:20]
Collapse

Adam Bartley
Adam Bartley  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:39
Member (2011)
Latin to English
+ ...
Will try Phi Jun 29, 2004

I don't know off-hand where it comes from, but I'll fire it at my Phi cd tonight and see if that produces the phrase. The beauty of Latin is that, due to the comparative lack of it, these searches take much less time than for Greek.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translatio traditio est

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »