https://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/105695-change_text_direction_on_mac.html

Change text direction on Mac
Thread poster: Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:59
English to French
+ ...
May 28, 2008

Hello all,

I work on a Mac OS X 10.3.9 with Word 2004.

I am currently translating a text that involves changing the direction of some parts of the text, mainly tables. I have found

>format
>text direction.

My problem here is that I can turn the text 1/4 to the left only from inside the table: I am not able to turn the whole table to the left (even if I select it entirely).

Does anyone know if it's possible (and how), or if i
... See more
Hello all,

I work on a Mac OS X 10.3.9 with Word 2004.

I am currently translating a text that involves changing the direction of some parts of the text, mainly tables. I have found

>format
>text direction.

My problem here is that I can turn the text 1/4 to the left only from inside the table: I am not able to turn the whole table to the left (even if I select it entirely).

Does anyone know if it's possible (and how), or if it's just something that I won't be able to do?

Thank you very much for your help,

Anne
Collapse

Diana Cossato (X)
Diana Cossato (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 20:59
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
Change page orientation perhaps? May 28, 2008

Hi Anne,

I'm not entirely sure I understood correctly. I have tried changing the text direction in a table and it works for me! What's the difference between changing the direction of the whole table or just the text inside it?

An alternative would be inserting a section break before and after your table, then selecting page setup and changing the page orientation to "landscape". However, this means your table will be on a separate page.

Don't know if I co
... See more
Hi Anne,

I'm not entirely sure I understood correctly. I have tried changing the text direction in a table and it works for me! What's the difference between changing the direction of the whole table or just the text inside it?

An alternative would be inserting a section break before and after your table, then selecting page setup and changing the page orientation to "landscape". However, this means your table will be on a separate page.

Don't know if I could help at all.

Diana
Collapse

Anne Patteet
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I can't have the table on another page (layout issue) May 28, 2008

Hi Diana,

Thanks!

If I change the text direction only inside the table, the table won't mean the same anymore (for instance, the titles, that are above, will be at the right side of the table. Also, what used to be the first column will be in the first row, as if they were the titles). So that doesn't work.

The solution of having the tables on separate sheets won't work either (in my case) because I have to respect the exact same layout.

Thank
... See more
Hi Diana,

Thanks!

If I change the text direction only inside the table, the table won't mean the same anymore (for instance, the titles, that are above, will be at the right side of the table. Also, what used to be the first column will be in the first row, as if they were the titles). So that doesn't work.

The solution of having the tables on separate sheets won't work either (in my case) because I have to respect the exact same layout.

Thank you very much anyway for trying to help, have a nice day,

Anne
Collapse

Diana Cossato (X)
Belgium
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
Hang on, isn't it the opposite? May 31, 2008

If you change the text within the single cells, that is to say without selecting the whole table, it does keep the same layout, doesn't it? It just changes the text direction in that cell. Whereas if you select the whole table, you'll face the problem you mention above.

That, again, if I understood correctly.

Anne Patteet
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's right. May 31, 2008

Although it is a bit confusing explaining all that without any concrete example that we can see together, I think you understood what I meant.

So, what I ended up doing was changing the direction inside the table (the cells) before I typed the text (because of the text size and type, it was too difficult to type it first and turn it afterwards). Which gave me the result I needed but was quite a challenge because there were 10 pages o
... See more
Although it is a bit confusing explaining all that without any concrete example that we can see together, I think you understood what I meant.

So, what I ended up doing was changing the direction inside the table (the cells) before I typed the text (because of the text size and type, it was too difficult to type it first and turn it afterwards). Which gave me the result I needed but was quite a challenge because there were 10 pages of those, full of numbers... I know, not very practical but that's the only way I found for now. I hope I can find a better solution for the next time I need to use that layout. It would be so easy to be able to type everything straight as if it were a normal table, and then turn the whole thing left once the table ready. There must be a way...

Thanks again,

Anne
Collapse

Diana Cossato (X)
Belgium
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
Copy format Jun 1, 2008

Maybe (the next time) you could type everything in straight, then change the text direction in one cell and copy it to all the others with the brush tool (you can select the rest of the table, or at least column by column, when you paste the format). That SHOULD work. I know, there should also be an easier and more straightforward way, but, as far as I know, there isn't.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change text direction on Mac

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »