https://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/26803-installling_trados_with_virtual_pc.html

Installling Trados with Virtual PC
Thread poster: Jennifer Buller
Jennifer Buller
Jennifer Buller  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:17
German to English
+ ...
Nov 19, 2004

Hello all,
I switched to Mac about a year ago, but have yet to try any CAT tools. I took the leap with the group buying scheme and purchased Trados Freelance as well as Virtual PC v. 6. I have several questions relating to the installation and working process and hope to find someone willing to help/share their experiences:

1) Obviously, I have to install Windows on my Virtual PC and then Trados within Windows. Do I also need the Office Suite on VPC or can I continue to work
... See more
Hello all,
I switched to Mac about a year ago, but have yet to try any CAT tools. I took the leap with the group buying scheme and purchased Trados Freelance as well as Virtual PC v. 6. I have several questions relating to the installation and working process and hope to find someone willing to help/share their experiences:

1) Obviously, I have to install Windows on my Virtual PC and then Trados within Windows. Do I also need the Office Suite on VPC or can I continue to work using Office X for Mac ?

2) How easy is it to toggle between the two?

3) I have a 1GHz PowerPC G4 with 768 MB DDR SDRAM. How much memory do I need to dedicate to VPC and Trados to have a decent amount of speed?

4) Are there any training opportunities for Trados via Mac that anyone knows about?

Thanks a lot for your help - I hope it works!

Jennifer
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Mac & PC Nov 19, 2004

Hi there!

My advice to you is to get a PC for working with Trados. They are very inexpensive in the U.S. You can buy for a 2-3 GHz PC for a few hundred dollars. Not having to buy Virtual PC will pay for about half the cost of your PC.

I love Macs, I've always had Macs since my first computer (MacPlus), but to use Trados, it's really better to use a PC.

With your little 1 GHz G4, Virtual PC will be much too slow. Read about it on the internet.

... See more
Hi there!

My advice to you is to get a PC for working with Trados. They are very inexpensive in the U.S. You can buy for a 2-3 GHz PC for a few hundred dollars. Not having to buy Virtual PC will pay for about half the cost of your PC.

I love Macs, I've always had Macs since my first computer (MacPlus), but to use Trados, it's really better to use a PC.

With your little 1 GHz G4, Virtual PC will be much too slow. Read about it on the internet.

Best,

Esther, Mac G4 owner
Collapse

Jennifer Buller
Jennifer Buller  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:17
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Esther Nov 20, 2004

I appreciate your message, Esther, but was buying the whole kit and kiboodle based on some testimonials I had read, including one from someone who was even using a G3. He said that loading the apps, etc. was slow, but once it was up and running all was fine. Buying a PC was not in my plan, to be open. Trados' website has a promise to buy back the workbench if it doesn't work well, so that is what I'm banking on.

Thanks again and I hope there are others out there with more friendly a
... See more
I appreciate your message, Esther, but was buying the whole kit and kiboodle based on some testimonials I had read, including one from someone who was even using a G3. He said that loading the apps, etc. was slow, but once it was up and running all was fine. Buying a PC was not in my plan, to be open. Trados' website has a promise to buy back the workbench if it doesn't work well, so that is what I'm banking on.

Thanks again and I hope there are others out there with more friendly advice!
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Get someone to give you a PC Nov 21, 2004

There are PCs sitting around in most U.S. homes. I'm sure you know someone who would be happy to give you one. Just ask around. You'll easily match the speed of your Mac with an older, discarded PC.

Best,
Esther

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installling Trados with Virtual PC

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »