PC v Mac > Macbook Air v Macbook Pro
Thread poster: AlChe
AlChe
AlChe
German to English
+ ...
Nov 1, 2015

Hi!
I know this topic has been covered before, but from what I could find it's been a few years, which in technology time is more like a millenia, so I thought I'd pose the question again. When working with translating software, is there any difference between a PC or a Mac? Is there any difference between a Macbook Air and a Macbook Pro?
My motherboard just died so since I need to upgrade anyway, I thought I might as well make sure to get something powerful and reliable enough. My
... See more
Hi!
I know this topic has been covered before, but from what I could find it's been a few years, which in technology time is more like a millenia, so I thought I'd pose the question again. When working with translating software, is there any difference between a PC or a Mac? Is there any difference between a Macbook Air and a Macbook Pro?
My motherboard just died so since I need to upgrade anyway, I thought I might as well make sure to get something powerful and reliable enough. My standard laptop use - fb, e-mail, google, videos isn't all too demanding (not much gaming or photoshopping), but I might be starting an online translation course and possible doing some actual translating soon and have no idea how much of a difference that'll make.
So does that kinda software require enough capability to make a noticeable difference depending on the hardware?
Thanks in advance,
Alaina
Collapse

2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:33
Software Nov 2, 2015

I'd definitely advise a MacBook Pro. That's because I use CafeTran:

I'd strongly advise you to explore that tool. However, if you are not willing to do so (no hard feelings), a MacBook Air could be enough (for CafeTran it isn't enough).

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:33
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Of course Nov 2, 2015

achargois wrote:

When working with translating software, is there any difference between a PC or a Mac?

On PC/Windows, you have a wider choice of programs, particularly, CAT tools.

sans22 (X)
sans22 (X)
Sweden
Macbook air/bootcamp/Trados studio 2015 Nov 2, 2015

I have a macbook air and run bootcamp with Windows on it so that I can use Trados and MemoQ. It works brilliantly for me and I have never had any problems with this setup at all.

I guess it depends on how powerful a machine you need and what CAT tool you use.

It's my own personal preference but I would never go back to using a PC again after having mac products all these years.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
The good news is... Nov 2, 2015

esperantisto wrote:

On PC/Windows, you have a wider choice of programs, particularly, CAT tools.

... that they all run on a Mac (with some extra software).

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:33
French to English
+ ...
CAT tools on a Mac Nov 2, 2015

As other people mentioned, the majority of CAT tools are only compatible with Windows, so if you want to use a Mac, you will need to install Windows onto it using Bootcamp (which comes with the Mac) or Parallels (which you have to pay for).

I use Windows 8.1 on my Macbook Pro and run Trados 2014 on it, and it all works fine; the only problem is that if I want to use the Mac operating system I have to restart the computer, but I've kind of got it set up so that the Windows side is f
... See more
As other people mentioned, the majority of CAT tools are only compatible with Windows, so if you want to use a Mac, you will need to install Windows onto it using Bootcamp (which comes with the Mac) or Parallels (which you have to pay for).

I use Windows 8.1 on my Macbook Pro and run Trados 2014 on it, and it all works fine; the only problem is that if I want to use the Mac operating system I have to restart the computer, but I've kind of got it set up so that the Windows side is for business only and the Mac OS side is for personal use.

I have owned my Macbook since 2011 and have never had ANY problems with it, which is better success than I've had with PC laptops! So I definitely think they're worth the money
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:33
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
@2nl - why not the Macbook Air? Nov 2, 2015

2nl wrote:
However, if you are not willing to do so (no hard feelings), a MacBook Air could be enough (for CafeTran it isn't enough).

If I may ask, why not? You can get both the 11" and 13" MBA with an i7 processor and 8 GB of RAM, which should be enough to run just about anything.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
A CafeTran user told me ... Nov 2, 2015

Last week, a CafeTran user told me that he was going to upgrade his MBA to a MacBook Pro because of disappointing performance. I've asked him about the specs of his MBA.

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Good that you asked! Nov 3, 2015

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

2nl wrote:
However, if you are not willing to do so (no hard feelings), a MacBook Air could be enough (for CafeTran it isn't enough).

If I may ask, why not? You can get both the 11" and 13" MBA with an i7 processor and 8 GB of RAM, which should be enough to run just about anything.

I just received an answer. As it turned out the MBA is working perfectly (same config!) with CafeTran and some other CAT tools. It is Dragon that causes problems.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No need Nov 3, 2015

Natalie Soper wrote:

....... the only problem is that if I want to use the Mac operating system I have to restart the computer.....

If you had Parallels you wouldn't need to do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK9Z_Odw4H4

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
:-) Nov 3, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Natalie Soper wrote:

....... the only problem is that if I want to use the Mac operating system I have to restart the computer.....

If you had Parallels you wouldn't need to do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK9Z_Odw4H4

If you had Windows, you wouldn't need to do that.

https://www.microsoft.com/

Bogusław Kucharski
Bogusław Kucharski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Not much difference but comfort Nov 3, 2015

achargois wrote:
When working with translating software, is there any difference between a PC or a Mac?

I used to work with Windows (from 3.11 to 7) and about 2 years ago I decided to move to Mac OS X. I use MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch) with 16 GB of RAM.
Because I invested in e-dictionaries and all of them happen to have Windows version only, I use Windows to run the dictionaries. For that I use paid software (Parallels) but there is also free software to run (virtualise) Windows, e.g. VirtualBox. In my case the dictionaries (and all Windows programs) are opened in separate windows and look like Mac software.
I translate mostly in Déjà Vu which has Windows version only.
I have never had any issues regarding stability of the program or the virtualised system. I am a happy user.
In the future I might consider changing my whole translation software into Mac OS X based one but I think I will wait and see what will happen in the money department regarding upgrades vs. Proz Group Buy prices (Déjà Vu, MemoQ, SDL Trados, and Swordfish). But I don't feel pressed at the moment.

I do not wish to speak for everyone but I am personally *very* happy working with Mac OS X. I cannot see much difference in translation work (the same software) but I can see a huge difference in system change: comfort, stability, and safety; beginning with gestures, ending with Time Machine. And if there is no system solution for something I need, I can always find a reasonably priced app to do it for me.

[Edited at 2015-11-03 14:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-03 14:47 GMT]

2nl (X)
Netherlands
Which e-dictionaries? Nov 3, 2015

Bogusław Kucharski wrote:

Because I invested in e-dictionaries and all of them happen to have Windows version only, I use Windows to run the dictionaries.

Hi Bogusław,

Which e-dictionaries are you using?

Hans

Bogusław Kucharski
Bogusław Kucharski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
e-dictionaries EN-PL Nov 3, 2015

2nl wrote:
Which e-dictionaries are you using?

Hi,

I found LexLand (Leksykonia) system a reliable source, especially medical and technical dictionaries.

Regards,
Bogdan

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 15:33
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Convert them Nov 3, 2015

Bogusław Kucharski wrote:
e-dictionaries EN-PL

Based on the information I found here, you should be able to convert those dictionaries for use in your Mac's Dictionary.app. I wrote about the process here, and on the wiki page of the Python script you'll have to use, it says that Leksykonia data (*.dct) are supported.

You can then use your dictionaries system-wide on your Mac, both opened in the Dictionary.app itself, or as a pop-up. An example of a dictionary I converted showing results as a pop-up in CafeTran:

Very recently (like the day before yesterday), I "discovered" an app that should simplify the process. I downloaded it, but it's still in my download folder as a .ZIP: DictUnifier-2.1.zip so I'm afraid I don't know if it works yet.

Cheers,

Hans

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PC v Mac > Macbook Air v Macbook Pro

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »