https://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems/44685-no_more_reasons_not_to_buy_a_mac.html

No more reasons NOT to buy a Mac
Thread poster: Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:16
German to Spanish
Apr 5, 2006

A great new from Apple:

Boot Camp is there!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Regards

[Edited at 2006-04-05 16:20]

Trevor Butcher
Trevor Butcher
English
...except this is Lublin Apr 5, 2006

Great idea, and if I had a Mac I would seriously consider it. But the only Macs around here are burgers.

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Well, there is the price issue... Apr 5, 2006

(And this is coming from someone who intends to buy a MacBookPro in the next week.)

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Yes I know Apr 5, 2006

Steven Sidore wrote:

(And this is coming from someone who intends to buy a MacBookPro in the next week.)

I see you live like me in Germany, I was today in Media Markt

And if you see all the 1.200 - 1.400 € Dual Core laptops (all 2 hours machine) and after that you see the Macbooks Pro ... well.

The Windows machines with more than 4 hours are also very expensive laptops, all the professionals (business) laptops are over 2.000 €.

What I can not understand is why should I pay 512 dollars more than a USA citizen. (1.999 US dollars versus 2.079 Euro)

With 512 Dollars can you fly a WE to New York and buy it there!!

[Edited at 2006-04-05 21:00]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:16
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Apple is moving to Intel Apr 6, 2006

When Apple machines come with Intel chips its easy to implement also Windows (and why not Linux) in parallel.
But Apple has changed its platform so many times making old programs obsolete that investing in its technology seems risky. Or what do you think?
Regards
Heinrich

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Important thing about American prices Apr 6, 2006

What I can not understand is why should I pay 512 dollars more than a USA citizen. (1.999 US dollars versus 2.079 Euro)

With 512 Dollars can you fly a WE to New York and buy it there!!

[Edited at 2006-04-05 21:00]

Don't forget: US prices are listed without sales tax. Buying that Mac in California will add another 8% or so! That German price already includes the VAT.

Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Colombia
Local time: 18:16
English to Spanish
Mac users using Windows Apr 6, 2006

Hello to all.

I wouldn't expect many Windows users getting an Intel Mac to run Windows. Those that will are:

1) iUsers, i.e. people that love Apple so much they'd get anything coming from them.

2) Closet Mac users in Mac-unfriendly corporate environments having the company supply "Apple Windows computers" and using OSX on the side, unsupported.

What is more likely to happen is that many die-hard Mac users will install Xp on their Macs for fun,
... See more
Hello to all.

I wouldn't expect many Windows users getting an Intel Mac to run Windows. Those that will are:

1) iUsers, i.e. people that love Apple so much they'd get anything coming from them.

2) Closet Mac users in Mac-unfriendly corporate environments having the company supply "Apple Windows computers" and using OSX on the side, unsupported.

What is more likely to happen is that many die-hard Mac users will install Xp on their Macs for fun, and slowly realize that it is umm...not bad.

I wouldn't expect OSX users buying a new set of Windows applications (say, Office) to run in their Intel Macs. But many will use one or two Windows-only apps and perhaps tone-down their evangelism.

I was a zealot Mac-only user until they switched to unix on the desktop (OSX). Switched to Windows and never regretted it. Were Microsoft a less exploitative company (to be polite), I wouldn't have any complaint with Windows.

I do keep my old G3 running OS 9 in my desk and use it once in a while for some small things.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No more reasons NOT to buy a Mac

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »