Mobile menu

The Merits of Using a Mac in a PC-centric Translation World
Thread poster: Jan Sundström

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:21
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 22, 2007

A panel debate took place at the ATA conference last month. If anyone from Proz attended, please post your impression here!

Yves M. Averous, Christine Lemor-Drake, Michael Metzger, and Catherine Theilen-Burke
Thursday, 3:30-5:00pm - All Levels

The focus of this interactive panel will be the use of Apple's computers and technology in translation. The founders of the Northern California Translators Association's Macintosh user group, TransMUG, will be joined by experts from Apple to discuss the best and latest tools available. Please join us for a sure-to-be-lively discussion on the challenges arising from using Macs in a PC-centric translation world, and the creative solutions offered by advanced technology from Apple. What better place than the Bay Area, birthplace of Apple, to have this discussion!

Taken from
The abstract has been posted here:

[Edited at 2007-11-22 12:33]

Direct link Reply with quote

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Intel Macs Nov 23, 2007

With the new Intel Macs, the incentive for OSX-Native translation software have dwindled even more, so I doubt we will see Trados for Mac or (I wish) DejaVu for Mac. Fortunately we have Parallels and Bootcamp as workable alternatives.

I already sold my PC hardware and got two Macs - a Mini for my desk, a Macbook for my couch- and am using Trados in Parallels. Both are a delight to use.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs