Thread poster: Husam Qarawi
Husam Qarawi
Husam Qarawi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:01
Arabic to English
+ ...
May 13, 2008

I really wonder why our Egyptian colleagues when posting jobs, they restrict them to Egyptian translators. Can anybody explain it?

Waleed Mohamed
Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 17:01
English to Arabic
+ ...
For me .... May 13, 2008

I prefer Egyptians for easy payment and easy communication by phone. It's just a preference, not a must.
In other words, I will be happy to work with translators all over the world with whom I have the same easy communication and payment options.

Best regards

Waleed

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:01
English to Arabic
+ ...
Hard to say... May 13, 2008

... but I looked at the recently posted jobs, and some of them do indeed state that the preferred location of the translator should be Egypt. One of them is an agency which isn't even in Egypt, another wants an inhouse translator (so here the reason's obvious). A third states that the translation is required to be in "standard Egyptian". As for the remaining jobs, I have no idea, you may want to contact the poster directly to ask them.

I just read Waleed's reply now, and of course,
... See more
... but I looked at the recently posted jobs, and some of them do indeed state that the preferred location of the translator should be Egypt. One of them is an agency which isn't even in Egypt, another wants an inhouse translator (so here the reason's obvious). A third states that the translation is required to be in "standard Egyptian". As for the remaining jobs, I have no idea, you may want to contact the poster directly to ask them.

I just read Waleed's reply now, and of course, easy communication and payment may be another valid reason.
Collapse

Fathy Shehatto
Fathy Shehatto  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 15:01
English to Arabic
+ ...
Dead Rates May 13, 2008

Dear Husam,

If this is the situation, please accept my apologize!
Only one answer that stricks my mind, it is the poorest rate offered or accepted by those freelancers.

Offering poor rates that are not accepted anywhere except egypt, is the main and direct reason for seeking for Egyptians.

I'm sure you will never accept such rates!

Best regards

Fathy Shehatto

[Edited at 2008-05-13 21:02]

zkt
zkt  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 16:01
English to Arabic
+ ...
Rates?? May 13, 2008

A question comes to my mind: Are Egyptian rates lower than in other countries?
is this the reason?

Saleh Dardeer
Saleh Dardeer  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
المصريين ...المصريين!!! May 14, 2008

Husam Qarawi wrote:

I really wonder why our Egyptian colleagues when posting jobs, they restrict them to Egyptian translators. Can anybody explain it?

[right]

أتفق تماما مع وليد ونسرين

أخي حسام وأنا أيضا أتساءل وأتعجب لم لم تسأل بقية الأعضاء من الدول الأخرى أنهم أيضا كثيرا ما يفضلون أن يكون المتقدم للعمل من نفس البلد؟؟
يبدو أن المصريين دائما ما ...؟؟!! ربنا يهديهم

أخي الحبيب مثل هذه الأسئلة قد تستفز بعض المصريين وتجعلهم يتعصبون للتراب
كما أشتم ذلك من رائحة كلامي
مع أني لا أحب ذلك الأمر وضده
فلنتعامل بمهنية وحرفية وندع تلك الأفكار من أذهاننا
ووعد مني لما أقوم بطرح فرصة عمل لن أقصرها على من بداخل مصر لأن المصريين في كل مكان

اوعى تكون زعلت مني
أنا بس حبيت أداعبك

*ملحوظة: أجبتك باللغة العربية لأن هذا المنتدى تصنيفه تحت المنتديات الغير ناطقة بالإنجليزية

[right/]

Husam Qarawi
Husam Qarawi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:01
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
المصريين...المصريين May 14, 2008

المصريين حبايبنا ولم اقصد اي شي سيء بمشاركتي السابقة، كانت فقط ملاحظة لا سيما وانني بالفعل اصطدم مرات ببعض العروض التي يطلبون بها فقط المصريين او مقيم في مصر بالرغم من ان العمل بيتي، اما بالنسبة للاتصال الهاتفي فانا اتواصل مع الناس من كل انحاء العالم صوتيا بواسطة السكايبي ب�... See more
المصريين حبايبنا ولم اقصد اي شي سيء بمشاركتي السابقة، كانت فقط ملاحظة لا سيما وانني بالفعل اصطدم مرات ببعض العروض التي يطلبون بها فقط المصريين او مقيم في مصر بالرغم من ان العمل بيتي، اما بالنسبة للاتصال الهاتفي فانا اتواصل مع الناس من كل انحاء العالم صوتيا بواسطة السكايبي بدون اي مشاكل. فعلى سبيل المثال احد االاخوة اشترط في احدى المشاريع ان يكون المترجم خريج اما الازهر او الالسن!!! والله اشهد بانها جامعات عريقة ولكن هناك جامعات اخرى جيدة في العالم. وكمان مرة المصريين حبايبنا وبدون زعل وانسى الموضوع

[Edited at 2008-05-14 05:54]
Collapse

Hani Hassaan
Hani Hassaan  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
موضع الجرح May 14, 2008

حقيقة فتحي وضع يده على موضع الجرح، الأسعار
لا إفراط ولا تفريط
وسلامي لأهلي العرب من المحيط إلى الخليج

Elisa Comito
Elisa Comito  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Incredible translation test May 25, 2008

Sorry for writing in English but I don't know Arabic and, besides, I see that many posts are in English.

I have been contacted by e-mail by an Egyptian agency that sent me (unsolicited) a "translation test". This is their explenation about the test:

"This is the first stage of the test. There will be several stages to be done after you pass this stage. We will make an interview after passing the test. Please take care for this real chance. "

Now, I copied t
... See more
Sorry for writing in English but I don't know Arabic and, besides, I see that many posts are in English.

I have been contacted by e-mail by an Egyptian agency that sent me (unsolicited) a "translation test". This is their explenation about the test:

"This is the first stage of the test. There will be several stages to be done after you pass this stage. We will make an interview after passing the test. Please take care for this real chance. "

Now, I copied the whole "test" below so that you can read it. I would like to know if it's common for Egyptian agencies to send this kind of tests or if the agency's manager has been particularly creative!

Here, in Italy, there are lots of agencies whose managers don't sleep the night in order to conceive new ways of finding translators ready to follow all their whims, be at their service 24 hours a day and work for peanuts! But usually their e-mails, tests and proposals are brisk and "skeletal" ; never have I found such a detailed frame!

You will see that many questions are pure crazyness but, should anybody decide to take such a test, it would require hours. If this is the "first stage" of the selection process, I immagine how long and painful the whole process might be

Well, what else can I say... read and have fun!

Elisa

------------------------------------------

Answer the following three parts: -

Please answer in details as much as you can.

After you answer part one and part two please fill in the questionnaire in part three. Notice that part three is not a test and it is meant to provide information about your activities.

Part one: -

Rewrite this text again using different words to convey the same meaning. Most importantly, let me know whether the text has meaning mistakes or grammatical mistakes and clarify them. Again, you should paraphrase and correct mistakes if available.

(FOLLOWS TEXT)
The text is bellow: -

End of part one.

Part two: -

Answer the following questions in details: -

Q. 1. What is your best translation approach? Why do you prefer to use it in translation?

Q. 2. What is the omission method and is it valuable in translation or not? Clarify please.

Q. 3. Describe the process you follow when you translate? Summarize in steps and points please after your description.

Q. 4. How do you use the cultural concepts? Give examples please.

Q. 5. How do you evaluate the text before translation? What are the approaches that you follow in that sense.

Q. 6. Can a translator be a writer and can a writer be a translator and why?

Q. 7. What is the meaning of simultaneous translation and the meaning of consecutive translation? What is the difference?

End of part two.

Part three: -

Q. 1. How many hours a day can you be online.

Q. 2. Write here your daily timetable of using the Internet mentioning the time in your local hours not GMT.

Q. 3. Do you accept that you work with us by using Skype live oral talk by microphone? If yes, we will give you the high priority of selecting you for the project and we will give your application a very careful and top-level consideration. Of course, we will check your availability on Skype before selecting you.

Q. 4. What are the features of your PC and your Internet connection?

Q. 5. What are your minimum and maximum rates in USD?

Q. 6. Do you accept PayPal payment or MoneyBookers Payment?

Q. 7. What is the scale of projects that you did in the past?

Q. 8. What is your daily capacity of words you translate in one day?

Q. 9. Can you provide references for us? If yes, please list at least two or three ones.

Q. 10. How active are you online? Provide evidence please about your online activity and presence.

Q. 11. Do you like to work within group of translators? (This does not lead to quick jobs and projects by the way.). Why?

Do you like to be committed to training, guidance, compliance with instructions and regulations with a supervisor or trainer on a daily basis and that requires a two-hour work approximately every day. (You may get fast jobs not only if you are active but also if you are excellent translator.) Do you accept that? If no, why?

Q. 12. What is your opinion about the following condition and procedure: -
1. We contact you by email saying to you that we have a project for you.
2. You accept that and agree on it.
3. We send you the project.
4. You finish it and resent it back to us.
5. We pay for that.
6. We continue doing steps 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 sporadically not always.
Do you only like those steps or you like more cooperation and improvement in addition to applying the previous 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 points and so on? Why?

Q. 13. If you are registered in TranslatorsCafe,com, what is your profile link?

Q. 14. If you are registered in Proz.com, what is your profile link?

Q. 15. If you are registered in TranslationDirectory.com, what is your profile link?

Q. 16. What is the preferable monthly income in USD you like to get regularly?

Q. 17. Is translation your main source of income or you rely mainly on other sources. Clarify please.

Q. 18. Do you like to work as a project manager (with people) or just you would like to work using words and translation only (Without involvement in people communication)? Why?

Q. 19. Do you like to be involved in a plan that is guaranteed to give financial income on the long-run not on the short run? If yes, what is the time limit and period that you accept in order to start work in such a guaranteed plan?

Q. 20. What is your opinion about the following condition and procedure: -
PART ONE: -
1. We contact you by email saying to you that we have a project for you.
2. You accept that and agree on it.
3. We send you the project.
4. You finish it and resent it back to us.
5. We pay for that.
6. We continue doing steps 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 sporadically not always.
PART TWO: -
1. We help you get more traffic to your CV.
2. People contact you due to that traffic that we make for you so that others know about you.
3. You pay us a 15 percent commission when you get projects and paid for those projects. (For example, If you work on a 50 Dollars project, you pay us a commission of 7.5 Dollars.)
4. You do not pay if you do not get any project.
5. We stand beside you offering you managerial help and professional support on a daily basis.
Which PART do you like to choose? Why?

Q. 21. Until now, do you make satisfactory income?

Q. 22. What are the difficulties that you have?

Q. 23. How can those obstacles be removed?

Q. 24. What are your dreams?

Q. 25. Give many examples of positive and remembered experiences and work conditions that you had in the past or have in the present.

Q. 26. Give many examples of negative and bad experiences and work conditions that you had in the past or have in the present.

Q. 27. Joining us, let us know how do you imagine the nature and features of work.

Q. 28. Do you accept if we charge small payment in case of not complying with our agreement? If no, what is the alternative of having commitment?

Q. 29. What do you do in cases where you do not have projects?

Q. 30. Are you ready to create a proposal for continuous and profitable work? How much do you charge for the proposal? Have you done it before?

Q. 31. How can you evaluate the translation market work?

Q. 32. Do you like to work as a moderator in any famous web site? Do you accept to do that voluntarily? If no, how much do you charge and for how many hours are you ready to work daily?

Q. 33. What do you do in case of a client that does not pay for the job? Has it happened to you before? If yes, how many times in estimate? Explain in details please.

Q. 34. What do you do if a colleague contacts you for an urgent matter and you are busy at that time? Give example please?

Q. 35. What do you like in this test and questionnaire?

Q. 36. What do not you like in this test and questionnaire?

Q. 37. Can you add an important question to this questionnaire? If yes, please do add a question.

Q. 38. If you have money for investment, how do you invest this money for translation?

Q. 39. Are you a freelancer or have other job in that translation is your part-time job? Or, is your translation a full-time job? Give details.

Q. 40. If a small monthly membership payment gives you more help and advantages than other translators, do you accept to pay small membership payment that is about 5 Dollars a month? If no, why not? Clarify please.

Q. 41. Refer some of your friends to us. Just trustworthy ones who are qualified. Write here the names and emails.
Please say the reasons behind your kind recommendations.
(This question is not part of the test but I hope that you do it.)

Q. 42. Do you like to be selected for a position of a project manager or a translator? Why?

Q. 43. You are offered a job, which you do not want to refuse, but realize that you do not have sufficient experience to do well at, how do you deal with this?

Q. 44. Are you willing to work under a contract?

Q. 45. Have you been hired before by a translation agency? How many years did you work for them?

Q. 46. Would you like to visit our headquarters and meet us?

Q. 47. Would you mind having a video conference with us in order to get a closer approach?

Q. 48. Which course would you be ready to attend if we could offer you one?

Q. 49. What do you like and what are your current hobbies?

Q. 50. Why did you choose to be a translator?

End of part three.

***GOOD LUCK***
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:01
English to Arabic
+ ...
WOW!! May 28, 2008

Elisa Comito wrote:

I just feel sorry for the person who has compiled this test/questionnaire. So much time wasted and he's not about to receive a single reply (unless some translators are that desperate!)
I can assure you it's not common practice among Egyptian agencies.
Now you just need to come up with an equally creative reply to the agency (you will reply, won't you?)

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 06:01
English to Arabic
+ ...
I join Nesrin in astonishment & befuddlement at such a waste of time and energy May 28, 2008

Greetings to everyone.

May I join Nesrin (per her good note under the dashed line below) in astonishment (and befuddlement) at such a waste of time and energy by that posting agency in creating this irrelevant and superfluous item.

One might be amazed to learn if that firm has some sort of a business model and a set of business practices which invests any value in such drivel, matched only by demands of "please quote and give us your 'best' rates" (as a corrolary, migh
... See more
Greetings to everyone.

May I join Nesrin (per her good note under the dashed line below) in astonishment (and befuddlement) at such a waste of time and energy by that posting agency in creating this irrelevant and superfluous item.

One might be amazed to learn if that firm has some sort of a business model and a set of business practices which invests any value in such drivel, matched only by demands of "please quote and give us your 'best' rates" (as a corrolary, might there be 'worst' rates to be found elsewhere among practitioners in our global language services industry?).

Khair, in shaa' Allah.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California, USA

--------------------------------------------------------

I just feel sorry for the person who has compiled this test/questionnaire. So much time wasted, and he's not about to receive a single reply (unless some translators are that desperate!)

Now you just need to come up with an equally- creative reply to the agency (you will reply, won't you?)
Collapse

Elisa Comito
English to Italian
+ ...
Replying May 30, 2008

Nesrin wrote:

Elisa Comito wrote:

I just feel sorry for the person who has compiled this test/questionnaire. So much time wasted and he's not about to receive a single reply (unless some translators are that desperate!)
Now you just need to come up with an equally creative reply to the agency (you will reply, won't you?)

Yes, Nesrin, it's just what I am doing! Only it will take me a few days as I also have to work and I can answer only a few questions a day . Obvioulsy the reply will be as creative as the questions... I'll tell you if there are developments!

Ciao

Elisa Comito
English to Italian
+ ...
Update Jun 4, 2008

I finished the text (answering in a creative style...) and I sent it back. The manager promptly replied:

"Dear Elisa Comito

I received your email. I will get back to you as soon as possible. Regards "

Let's see if he will really get back after reading!

Elisa

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 16:01
English to Arabic
+ ...
لو أني شاميا أو خليجيا أو من المغرب العربي Sep 9, 2008

عدة عوامل تشترك في اختيار المترجم الأنسب للمهمة:

1. المستخدم النهائي للترجمة أو (target audience) حيث يفضل أن يكون من دولة المستخدم.

2. إن كانت الترجمة موجهة للعالم العربي ككل يفضل حينئذ مترجم من دولة أقرب ما تكون لثقافة ودولة المُراجع حيث لن يكون المراجع بحاجة إلى إجراء عمليات استبدال روتينية. فإن كان المراجع مصريا سيكون من غير المناسب أن أعطيه ترجمة تشتمل على كلمات مثل (حزيران/إنكليزية/لكسمبورغ) حيث سيقوم باستبدالها بـ (يوليو/إنجليزية/لكسمبورج) على التوالي. والعكس صحيح إذا كان المراجع شاميا فحينها يفضل أن يكون المترجم شاميا أيضا.

3. التواصل أو (communication): في اعتقادي أنه يفضل التعامل مع شخص ينتمي لنفس الثقافة واللغة واللهجة حيث يساعد ذلك كثيرا في نجاح التواصل أو الاتصال إلا في الحالة رقم (1) أعلاه.

4. السعر: لا أعلم ما إذا كانت هناك دولة عربية بعينها أسعار المترجمين فيها أقل/أكثر من الأخرى أو ما إذا كان هناك ترتيب تصاعدي أو تنازلي للدول العربية في هذا الصدد لذلك لا أعرف موقع مصر ضمن هذه القائمة إن وجدت.

ردا على بعض التعليقات أحب أن أؤكد على وجود جامعات عريقة غير جامعة عين شمس (كلية الألسن) وجامعة الأزهر (كلية اللغات والترجمة الفورية)، لكن إذا رأى شخص ما أن التجربة أثبتت له أن التعامل مع خريجي جامعة ما كان ناجحا فهنا قد يسأل نفسه: "لماذا أتعامل خارج هذه الحدود إن لم توجد حاجة لذلك؟". وعلى الرغم من أني أحد خريجي جامعة عين شمس ورغم حبي لها واحترامي لغيرها إلا أني أرى أنه وبشكل عام (ربما مع وجود استثناءات) لا توجد جامعة عربية يتخرج طلابها وهم مؤهلين للدخول في سوق العمل إلا مع وجود مجهود فردي ضخم يقوم به الطلاب الذين يدركون هذا مسبقا ويعدون أنفسهم لمواجهة السوق والمنافسة. أعتقد أن حال التعليم في العالم العربي بوجه عام لا يخفى على أحد (خير دليل على ذلك هو عدم وجود أي جامعة عربية ضمن أفضل 500 جامعة في العالم).

أرى أيضا أن الموضوع ليس ظاهرة عامة وكل حالة تؤخذ على حدة.

في النهاية، تأتي المهنية في المقام الأول بعيدا عن الجنسية.

Noran Adel
Noran Adel
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 17:01
French to Arabic
+ ...
i join you ahmad wadan Oct 8, 2008

[quote]Ahmad Wadan wrote:

[rtl]
عدة عوامل تشترك في اختيار المترجم الأنسب للمهمة:

1. المستخدم النهائي للترجمة أو (target audience) حيث يفضل أن يكون من دولة المستخدم.

2. إن كانت الترجمة موجهة للعالم العربي ككل يفضل حينئذ مترجم من دولة أقرب ما تكون لثقافة ودولة المُراجع حيث لن يكون المراجع بحاجة إلى إجراء عمليات استبدال روتينية. فإن كان المراجع مصريا سيكون من غير المناسب أن أعطيه ترجمة تشتمل على كلمات مثل (حزيران/إنكليزية/لكسمبورغ) حيث سيقوم باستبدالها بـ (يوليو/إنجليزية/لكسمبورج) على التوالي. والعكس صحيح إذا كان المراجع شاميا فحينها يفضل أن يكون المترجم شاميا أيضا.

3. التواصل أو (communication): في اعتقادي أنه يفضل التعامل مع شخص ينتمي لنفس الثقافة واللغة واللهجة حيث يساعد ذلك كثيرا في نجاح التواصل أو الاتصال إلا في الحالة رقم (1) أعلاه.

4. السعر: لا أعلم ما إذا كانت هناك دولة عربية بعينها أسعار المترجمين فيها أقل/أكثر من الأخرى أو ما إذا كان هناك ترتيب تصاعدي أو تنازلي للدول العربية في هذا الصدد لذلك لا أعرف موقع مصر ضمن هذه القائمة إن وجدت.

ردا على بعض التعليقات أحب أن أؤكد على وجود جامعات عريقة غير جامعة عين شمس (كلية الألسن) وجامعة الأزهر (كلية اللغات والترجمة الفورية)، لكن إذا رأى شخص ما أن التجربة أثبتت له أن التعامل مع خريجي جامعة ما كان ناجحا فهنا قد يسأل نفسه: "لماذا أتعامل خارج هذه الحدود إن لم توجد حاجة لذلك؟". وعلى الرغم من أني أحد خريجي جامعة عين شمس ورغم حبي لها واحترامي لغيرها إلا أني أرى أنه وبشكل عام (ربما مع وجود استثناءات) لا توجد جامعة عربية يتخرج طلابها وهم مؤهلين للدخول في سوق العمل إلا مع وجود مجهود فردي ضخم يقوم به الطلاب الذين يدركون هذا مسبقا ويعدون أنفسهم لمواجهة السوق والمنافسة. أعتقد أن حال التعليم في العالم العربي بوجه عام لا يخفى على أحد (خير دليل على ذلك هو عدم وجود أي جامعة عربية ضمن أفضل 500 جامعة في العالم).

أرى أيضا أن الموضوع ليس ظاهرة عامة وكل حالة تؤخذ على حدة.

في النهاية، تأتي المهنية في المقام الأول بعيدا عن الجنسية.

i join you ahmad all your words are right
first am graduated from the faculty of translation Azhar university and i dare to say that it is better than Alsun because alsun graduated uses to take a diploma of 2 years in the azhar university so that they can interpret .
2- you r right to say that every agency chooses the translators after knowing the reader culture and we can mention also that for the arabic translators the egyptians are very clever really!!! the most clever translators i mean.
for the price yes i am sorry to say that the egyptian translators rates are the cheapest.
thanks all

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Egyptian translators

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »