Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 04:30
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 8, 2009

Hi all,

First of all, apologies for writing in English.

I'm installing a system for an Arabic friend who is not so computer savvy.

The OS is Win XP (Eng), and currently the English language version of OpenOffice is installed.

Is there any benefit to run the Arabic OpenOffice instead? Does it have special features that applies to Arabic handling, that the western OpenOffice doesn't have?

Can I install both language versions on the s
... See more
Hi all,

First of all, apologies for writing in English.

I'm installing a system for an Arabic friend who is not so computer savvy.

The OS is Win XP (Eng), and currently the English language version of OpenOffice is installed.

Is there any benefit to run the Arabic OpenOffice instead? Does it have special features that applies to Arabic handling, that the western OpenOffice doesn't have?

Can I install both language versions on the same computer, or is it not recommended?

Thanks for any feedback!

/J
Collapse

Timothy Gregory
Timothy Gregory  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:30
Arabic to English
Stick with the English version unless your friend prefers Arabic menus Apr 8, 2009

Hi J,

I would stick with the English version of OOo.

The ability of the program to deal with Arabic text is not dependant on the "Arabic" version of OOo; rather the Arabic version simply changes the UI to Arabic giving Arabic menus and help. As far as I could find the most recent Arabic OOo is 2.0.2 which is quite a bit behind the times.

I've used OOo on Linux and Windows. In both cases I stuck with the regular version and was able to use all of the Arabic
... See more
Hi J,

I would stick with the English version of OOo.

The ability of the program to deal with Arabic text is not dependant on the "Arabic" version of OOo; rather the Arabic version simply changes the UI to Arabic giving Arabic menus and help. As far as I could find the most recent Arabic OOo is 2.0.2 which is quite a bit behind the times.

I've used OOo on Linux and Windows. In both cases I stuck with the regular version and was able to use all of the Arabic editing features. The easiest way to tell is that there will be right-to-left and left-to-right buttons on the toolbar.

If you want Arabic language spell checking you can add it to either the Arabic or English version, but you need to download and install it by itself:

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/arabic-spell

I've never tried this on Windows so I can't say how well - or if - they work. Now that I've looked I'm curious, so I might give it a whirl, well see

Best of luck!

--tag
Collapse

Ann-Christine Nassar-Pateffoz (X)
France
Arabic to Swedish
+ ...
Keep the English version Apr 9, 2009

Hej J!

Kul att se dig här

Basically, I agree to what Timothy said, though I never tried to install the Arabic version. Things worked perfectly well with the English one. I can add that the spell checker works fine on Windows, but the programme in itself is not an excellent one.

Having said this, I stopped using OO for about a year ago, because the conversion into Word was almost always a mes
... See more
Hej J!

Kul att se dig här

Basically, I agree to what Timothy said, though I never tried to install the Arabic version. Things worked perfectly well with the English one. I can add that the spell checker works fine on Windows, but the programme in itself is not an excellent one.

Having said this, I stopped using OO for about a year ago, because the conversion into Word was almost always a mess and an incredible waste of time.

Ha det så bra,

Ann-Christine
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 14, 2009

Ann-Christine Nassar-Pateffoz wrote:

Having said this, I stopped using OO for about a year ago, because the conversion into Word was almost always a mess and an incredible waste of time.

Thanks a lot, both of you! So if I understand correctly, saving into .doc still renders issues if I open the file in Word later on?!

A nice surprise to meet A-C here too!

France
Arabic to Swedish
+ ...
It depends... Apr 14, 2009

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:

Ann-Christine Nassar-Pateffoz wrote:

Thanks a lot, both of you! So if I understand correctly, saving into .doc still renders issues if I open the file in Word later on?!

Hej igen, Jan!

Well, it all depends on what you're using it for. Tables, TOCs and certain texts under diagrams are in general sources of trouble when converting into MSWord. If you're just writing a plain text, though, you will be fine

It was the case with me and that's why I stopped using it. Maybe others have different experiences.

Yep, nice to meet you here too

Ann-Christine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OpenOffice in Arabic?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »