Students who want us to do their homework for them
Thread poster: Musab Hayatli
Musab Hayatli
Musab Hayatli
Local time: 04:15
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 4, 2004

Do you think we should be answering quesions the answers to which are in any dictionary? My concern is that there seems to be a new trend of what looks like school or university students asking whatever queries they have, sometimes without apparently doing any effort at trying to find the answers first! At least, I hope these questions are genuine, but they should be encouraged to do some work themselves.
Just an opinion.

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 05:15
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
The recent flood of questions May 5, 2004

This question may be motivated by the recent spate of questions coming from students of the same class in Kuwait.

This was a special case where students were given an assignment by their professor which included using Proz.com. Because of the repetition and lack of context, I had to quash these questions and block the askers from further posting until further notice. This was an administrative action driven by necessity not a punitive action.

I did request that the pr
... See more
This question may be motivated by the recent spate of questions coming from students of the same class in Kuwait.

This was a special case where students were given an assignment by their professor which included using Proz.com. Because of the repetition and lack of context, I had to quash these questions and block the askers from further posting until further notice. This was an administrative action driven by necessity not a punitive action.

I did request that the professor contact me to plan and coordinate these assignmnents so that they do not negatively impact our members. I also informed them that I could unblock their email addresses after discussion with their professor.
Collapse

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 05:15
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
It depends May 5, 2004

Musab Hayatli wrote:

Do you think we should be answering quesions the answers to which are in any dictionary? .

In general, whether to help with assignments or not is a judgment call. This is why Proz.com provides a note informing members that the question is part of a test. In most cases, I do not answer those questions, but I can see certain situations where the question may be legitimate, for example when the student or the translator has put the effort to research the term in question. The worse cases are -as Musab mentions- when the term is easily found in a dictionary, or when the questions are numerous to the extent that the asker is effectively getting the text translated through Proz.

There may be exceptions to the above, such as when an assignment requires using ProZ.com or other internet resources. This was the case with the recent questions, but those had other problems that led to their squashing.

Musab Hayatli
Musab Hayatli
Local time: 04:15
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 5, 2004

Thank you Alaa for the clarification and for your answers.

musab

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Students who want us to do their homework for them

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »