Prices and rates
Thread poster: Lubna Asmar

Lubna Asmar
Lebanon
Local time: 07:51
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jul 6, 2004

I am Lebanese. i graduated rencently from the translation university and i have no idea about the rates of translators or the prices that clients are willing to pay for translating and proofreading. Can you help me here, pls?

Direct link Reply with quote

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:51
English to Arabic
+ ...
No easy answer Jul 7, 2004

Hi Loul,
If you are thinking of doing work for clients & agencies worldwide, then it's a good idea to keep your rates flexible. Rates vary greatly from one country to another, and if you set your rates too high, you might lose clients in certain countries, and if you set them too low, clients in other countries might exploit your services and pay you much less than what they would usually pay. I think your first step should be to find out about the rates of translators living in Lebanon, because that's where most of your clients will probably come from, in the beginning at least. Set your rates somewhere below the average, as you are still quite new, with little experience, and you should try to get an edge on your competitors. You should then try to find out about the range of translation rates in different countries (for example, by browsing through translators' profiles on Proz). In any case, you will often find that translation agencies that contact you with jobs already have their fixed rates, and it's for you to take or leave.
Good luck
Nesrin

Lubna Asmar
Lebanon
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 8, 2004

Thank you Nesrin

xxxSaifa
Local time: 06:51
German to French
+ ...
translators' association Jul 11, 2004

Hi Loul,

Perhaps it would be a good idea to become a member of the translators' organization in Lebanon (if there is any); there, you could ask about the rates and many other questions.

But as the market is globalized already, it is also good to know about the practice in other countries, just in case you would work one day for an American, German, French client etc...

A general advice: even if you are a beginner, don't be too cheap, especially if you have a good qualification! (Of course you can be a little bit cheaper as the average). Otherwise, it could be difficult to raise your rates afterwards...

It is not a bad idea to write down how many hours you need to make each translation. If you see afterwards that you would have earned more cleaning or selling fast food because the rate was so low, you know that you have to raise you rate the next time.
Some clients pay me better thean others, but if the textes are too technical, I have to spend more hours and at the end, I'd better to have done another job (in this case, I use the decline the job).

As Nesrin said, the best idea is to look around here on the forum. In some countries, it is usual to make a price by word (Spain, France), in others (Germany, Switzerland), it is usual to make a price by line (55 signs, sometimes 50).

It could be a good idea too to buy a word/line counting programme like Practicount or Count It, as these count the words/lines more accurately than the counting function from Word for ex. (With other words, you could loose money using the counting function of Word as it does not count the "boxes" (at the bottom of the page for ex.)

If you want more infos about Count It, tell me that, I could send you the demo version of it by e-mail.

Hoping this helps a bit

Chademu

Lubna Asmar
Lebanon
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jul 16, 2004

Thank you very much Chademu
what you wrote is very helpful

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prices and rates

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs