Thread poster: Khalid Hantash
Khalid Hantash
Khalid Hantash  Identity Verified
Palestine
Arabic to English
+ ...
Sep 7, 2004

Hi Proz Members,
I have recently recognized Proz site and I am very fond of it. It is actually a translation academy by itself and I am learning a lot from it every day.
I wonder how a fresh translator can compete for a job among highly qualified people.
Thanks for your interest...

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ahlan wa sahlan Khalid Sep 7, 2004

Welcome, and feel free to browse around. Use the search function if you're looking for anything particular, but don't miss the forums on "Translation Techniques", "Getting Established", "Business Issues" and "Money Matters".

Introduce yourself and get customised advice on the Arabic Forum. Visit and participate in the KudoZ questions in your language pairs, and keep an eye out for training opportunities at the Professional Development Forum.

Should you need any resource
... See more
Welcome, and feel free to browse around. Use the search function if you're looking for anything particular, but don't miss the forums on "Translation Techniques", "Getting Established", "Business Issues" and "Money Matters".

Introduce yourself and get customised advice on the Arabic Forum. Visit and participate in the KudoZ questions in your language pairs, and keep an eye out for training opportunities at the Professional Development Forum.

Should you need any resources for a job, check out GlossPost, our link library. If you need on-line help, consult the KudoZ Open Glossary or post a question if your problem is not there.

Collapse

Randa Farhat
Randa Farhat  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 20:08
English to Arabic
+ ...
welcome aboard Sep 8, 2004

Hello,

that's the way it goes, as Parrot said.
- Read the forums under "Translation Art & Business";
- Participate in answering Kudoz questions;
- Use your collected points to view ratings of agencies on the blue board;
- Respond to job posts in your language combination;
- Try to contact some of the agencies;
- Introduce yourself & experience in a professional manner;
- While you wait for job offers, keep searching here and there and try t
... See more
Hello,

that's the way it goes, as Parrot said.
- Read the forums under "Translation Art & Business";
- Participate in answering Kudoz questions;
- Use your collected points to view ratings of agencies on the blue board;
- Respond to job posts in your language combination;
- Try to contact some of the agencies;
- Introduce yourself & experience in a professional manner;
- While you wait for job offers, keep searching here and there and try to obtain and learn some memory tools like WordFast and/or Trados or others;
- When you are ready, join the platinum membership;
- Work on your profile to give sound information regarding your skills and experience;
- Certify your skills by checking Arab translators associations, http://www.arabtranslators.net and http://www.arabicwata.org

- Be patient & persistent!
Collapse

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
Local time: 19:08
German to French
+ ...
marhaban, khalid! Sep 9, 2004

All what Parrot and Randa2 told you is true, let me add another aspect of ProZ: this site is much more than the possibility of sharing linguistic and technical knowlegde, it is a community: so it offers you the possibility of collaborating with people all overthe world and making friends!

With Internet, "here" and "there" do not mean very much any longer. It may sound dangerous (you = my concurrent), but I see it as a great chance!

If you understand other languages, h
... See more
All what Parrot and Randa2 told you is true, let me add another aspect of ProZ: this site is much more than the possibility of sharing linguistic and technical knowlegde, it is a community: so it offers you the possibility of collaborating with people all overthe world and making friends!

With Internet, "here" and "there" do not mean very much any longer. It may sound dangerous (you = my concurrent), but I see it as a great chance!

If you understand other languages, have a look at other non-English forums too, you can have some informal contact with nice people there.
Collapse

sousou
sousou
Algeria
Local time: 18:08
English to French
+ ...
Welcome to our Community!!! Sep 10, 2004

Hi Khalid!

First of all, welcome to the group!
I totally agree w/my colleagues, this website is a good opportunity for us all to learn more and more, compete, and enrich our experience in translation. And it\'s worth mentioning that you should not hesitate to ask because it is the key to anybody's sucess.

Cheers,

Sousou

Khalid Hantash
Khalid Hantash  Identity Verified
Palestine
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to all Sep 13, 2004

First I would like to thank you all for your advisory points. I am trying to improve my abilities through browsing forums and contacting agenecies. I feel very happy to contact friends in this site because they are very very helpful and I think I am now on the threshold of building up my qualities to start translation. Again thank you for all and apologize me for delayed reply.

Khalid Abu Hantash

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Starting new translation job

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »