Converting a PDF to WORD (a problem with a file containing Persian text)
Thread poster: Alireza Karbalaei
Alireza Karbalaei
Alireza Karbalaei
Iran
Local time: 05:42
English to Persian (Farsi)
Jan 2, 2005

Converting/copying a PDF file containing a persian text to WORD (.doc) gives a distorted WORD document! Could any one please tell me what I must do to have a sound and neat WORD (.doc) version of a PDF file containg a Persian text? I use Adobe Acrobat 6.0.0 Professional. So many thanks in advance for your help.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-01-02 11:17]

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 04:12
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
ًWhat type of distortion Jan 10, 2005

Can you first explain the type of distortion you have found, then we can go from there.

Alaa

Alireza Karbalaei
Alireza Karbalaei
Iran
TOPIC STARTER
Distortion of words and fonts Jan 10, 2005

Alaa Zeineldine wrote:

Can you first explain the type of distortion you have found, then we can go from there.

Alaa

Hello! Thanks for your kind attention. When I copy & past a PDF containing Persian text into a WORD document or save it as WORD/RTF all the Persian words and fonts order is distorted and get mixed up so that the Persian text in WORD/RTF is no longer readable!

Yours,
Karbalaei

Alaa Zeineldine
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Font support Jan 12, 2005

There are a couple of possibilities I can think of based on similar experience with Arabic:

1. The PDF file uses an embedded Farsi font that is not installed on your system. You will only see the font correctly in the file that has that font embedded. If the font is a known font supported by MS Office, install it and try again.

2. You have not enabled Farsi language support properly on your system and/or under Microsoft Office Tools. Check the following (may be slightly
... See more
There are a couple of possibilities I can think of based on similar experience with Arabic:

1. The PDF file uses an embedded Farsi font that is not installed on your system. You will only see the font correctly in the file that has that font embedded. If the font is a known font supported by MS Office, install it and try again.

2. You have not enabled Farsi language support properly on your system and/or under Microsoft Office Tools. Check the following (may be slightly different on versions earlier than XP):

- Under Regional and Language Settings, check the "Complex Scripts" box under the Languages tab if it is unchecked. Also under the Languages tab, click "Details" and make sure that Farsi is listed in the "Installed Services" window, if not, click on "Add" and install it. This should load the necessary Windows fonts on your system.

- Select Start>All Programs>Microsoft Office Tools>Microsoft Office XP Language Support, then check to see if Farsi is in the list of enabled languages on the right. If not, scroll through the list of available languages on the left, select Farsi, and click on add, you should see Farsi appearing on the left hand list.

Alaa
Collapse

Alireza Karbalaei
Alireza Karbalaei
Iran
TOPIC STARTER
No result yet! Jan 14, 2005

Hello. I checked the points you said, but the problem still resists! Again so many thanks for your help anyway.

Sincerely,
Karbalaei

Alaa Zeineldine
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Fonts again Jan 14, 2005

Did you check the font names in your PDF file to see if they are available on the system?

Alaa

Timothy Gregory
Timothy Gregory  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:12
Arabic to English
'fix broken text' Jan 14, 2005

I would also try using Word's 'fix broken text' tool. Sometimes this will clear up text like that copied from a PDF.

Something else to try:
Instead of copying the text from Acrobat into Word, copy it to notepad, save it as a text file, then open that text file with Word and see if it can detect the codepage and import it properly. You should be prompted when you open it if Word can not guess the code page and you can check several to see if one of them rebuilds the text.
... See more
I would also try using Word's 'fix broken text' tool. Sometimes this will clear up text like that copied from a PDF.

Something else to try:
Instead of copying the text from Acrobat into Word, copy it to notepad, save it as a text file, then open that text file with Word and see if it can detect the codepage and import it properly. You should be prompted when you open it if Word can not guess the code page and you can check several to see if one of them rebuilds the text.

HTH,

--tag
Collapse

Alaa Zeineldine
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Conversion method Jan 14, 2005

Timothy's post made think of something else. What are you using to convert the PDF to Word. I assumed that you used "save as ..." from Acrobat's file menu, or were you trying something different?

Alaa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting a PDF to WORD (a problem with a file containing Persian text)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »