https://www.proz.com/forum/arabic/30463-tm_or_db_for_englisharabic_in_trados.html

TM or DB for English>Arabic in Trados
Thread poster: aziz_alonzi
aziz_alonzi
aziz_alonzi
Local time: 23:52
English to Arabic
Mar 15, 2005

please if any one can help me in this

to download trados to test is not good idea with slow connection like what I have so please if any one can help me and answer my question from profs friends here

is there a dictionries for English to Arabic ???
is there DB or TM or MT for English to Arabic in trados
what is the best software of CAT or MT for English to Arabic in your opinions ??

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 11:22
English to Arabic
+ ...
Details, please, on what kinds of dictionaries you seek Mar 16, 2005

Greetings... taHaiya Tayyiba wa b3ad...

Hiyaakum Allah janmi3an.

Please furnish some details on what kinds of dictionaries you seek (i.e., what subjects or technologies)?

The only software for (albeit-rough) bidirectional MT between Arabic and English familiar to me is TranSphere (c) by AppTek, Inc., located in northern Virginia. I think the firm's URL
... See more
Greetings... taHaiya Tayyiba wa b3ad...

Hiyaakum Allah janmi3an.

Please furnish some details on what kinds of dictionaries you seek (i.e., what subjects or technologies)?

The only software for (albeit-rough) bidirectional MT between Arabic and English familiar to me is TranSphere (c) by AppTek, Inc., located in northern Virginia. I think the firm's URL is < www.apptek.com >. You have to create and populate any specialized dictionaries or glossaries inside TranSphere that you might want to use with that software.

Re Sakhr products - I have no opiion or experience there.

Perhaps other colleagues in < proz.com > with experience can comment and advise you.

Hope this helps.

Khair, in sha' Allah.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California

< [email protected] >
Collapse

aziz_alonzi
aziz_alonzi
Local time: 23:52
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
good info about TM or DB for English>Arabic in Trados Mar 17, 2005

thank you Stephen H. Franke for this information

baida Allah wajhak ya rajal) 3za Allah innk snafi

hope more info please all here we must share our opinions to help each other

abdulaziz Alonzi

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
Laa shukr 3la waajib.... لا شكر على واجب _ الشكر لله Mar 19, 2005

Laa shukr 3la waajib.... لا شكر على واجب _ الشكر لله

Timothy Gregory
Timothy Gregory  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
TM Tools don't come with databases Apr 20, 2005

The idea behind a translation memory tool is that it keeps track of all of the translations *you* do so that when/if you encounter a similar 'text segment' in the future you do not have to translate the same segment again. I am not aware of any such applications which come with pre-populated translation memory databases, glossaries, or dictionaries. On occaision a customer will provide you with a memory or a glossary to import into your TM tool so you can match their standard translations, and t... See more
The idea behind a translation memory tool is that it keeps track of all of the translations *you* do so that when/if you encounter a similar 'text segment' in the future you do not have to translate the same segment again. I am not aware of any such applications which come with pre-populated translation memory databases, glossaries, or dictionaries. On occaision a customer will provide you with a memory or a glossary to import into your TM tool so you can match their standard translations, and this usually comes with demand for a discount for 'fuzzy matches'.

I have the tools that come with the Microsoft Office Proofing Tools - including and Arabic/English dictionary. It is somewhat limited and there is no way to add content that I have found.

I use the Sakhr القاموس version 4. Though it was designed under Windows 95 it still works under XP. It is a pretty good dictionary, but I still find that it falls short in some areas, sometimes not providing enough definitions, sometimes the definitions are not precise. This is a problem frequently found in any dictionary, so I don't mean this as a negative review. it just means that over the course of translating a document it is not uncommon for me to consult 5-10 dictionaries (or more), of which Sakhr's dictionary is only one.

I also visit http://dictionary.ajeeb.com from time to time to see if I can find something that I haven't found elsewhere

What little machine translation I have seen provides results so unreliable that I wouldn't use them for anything more than getting a rough idea of the contents of a document.

I hope this helps,

--
Tim Gregory
Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:22
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
pre-packaged TM tools May 21, 2005

Timothy Gregory wrote:
The idea behind a translation memory tool is that it keeps track of all of the translations *you* do so that when/if you encounter a similar 'text segment' in the future you do not have to translate the same segment again. I am not aware of any such applications which come with pre-populated translation memory databases, glossaries, or dictionaries.

When I was the technical director of the European Language Resources Distribution Agency, I tried to make available some opportunities for TM tools to be pre-packaged with databases, but the idea never caught on with tool vendors. They are all mainly interested in focusing on the features specific to the languages that they support.

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:22
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Arabic MT tools May 21, 2005

aziz_alonzi wrote:
please if any one can help me in this
to download trados to test is not good idea with slow connection like what I have so please if any one can help me and answer my question from profs friends here

is there a dictionries for English to Arabic ???
is there DB or TM or MT for English to Arabic in trados
what is the best software of CAT or MT for English to Arabic in your opinions ??

Stephen Franke wrote:
The only software for (albeit-rough) bidirectional MT between Arabic and English familiar to me is TranSphere (c) by AppTek, Inc., located in northern Virginia. I think the firm's URL is < www.apptek.com >. You have to create and populate any specialized dictionaries or glossaries inside TranSphere that you might want to use with that software.

Re Sakhr products - I have no opiion or experience there.

See the Language Technology Software Evaluation/Review site:
http://www.geocities.com/langtecheval/

As for Arabic, the main players in the MT arena are:
* CIMOS (France) / MTM Lingua software (USA): they have a rule+knowledge based MT system (www.cimos.com)
* Apptek (former L&H subsidiary), already mentioned above
* Systran (but only English to Arabic I believe)
* Language Weaver (www.languageweaver.com) with their statistics--based MT engine

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/mtpostediting/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM or DB for English>Arabic in Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »