Thread poster: Ziad Marzouka
Ziad Marzouka
Ziad Marzouka  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 07:04
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 23, 2005

Good evening, there was a job posted today asking for Baghdadi Arabic translators, What's that?! I've never heard of a Baghdadi Arabic.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:04
English to Arabic
+ ...
I may be wrong, but... May 23, 2005

I don't think you should feel bad for not having heard about that before.

People who don't know much about the Arabic language are often confused by the fact that there are so many spoken Arabic dialects - so when a translation is destined for Iraqis for example, they believe that only an Iraqi translator (from Baghdad!) can do the job! I get that all the time.

You could ask them "Is the source text in New York-English? Cause I can only translate from London-English!"

Redha (X)
Redha (X)
Local time: 06:04
French to Arabic
+ ...
LOL ! May 23, 2005

West or east shore ?

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 22:04
English to Arabic
+ ...
"Baghadi Arabic" - yaa saatir, ustr May 24, 2005

Greeting to everyone.

Nice to see that others picked up on the cited uniformed post and also kept a sense of proportion and humor in this thread in their good comments about that befuddled (and atrociously low-paying) project.

FWIW, I sent a courtesy note to the poster this morning to advise and clarify the fact of disglossia between spoken colloquial dialects and the dominant convention of fuSHat in written Arabic. That note apparently was not welcome or warmly receiv
... See more
Greeting to everyone.

Nice to see that others picked up on the cited uniformed post and also kept a sense of proportion and humor in this thread in their good comments about that befuddled (and atrociously low-paying) project.

FWIW, I sent a courtesy note to the poster this morning to advise and clarify the fact of disglossia between spoken colloquial dialects and the dominant convention of fuSHat in written Arabic. That note apparently was not welcome or warmly received or understood.

Khair, in sha' Allah.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California
Collapse

Mohammed Al Saadi
Mohammed Al Saadi
France
Local time: 07:04
French to Arabic
+ ...
Astonishing! Sep 5, 2005

Yeah, very astonishing specification, indeed.

I was born in Baghdad, but have never heared about "Baghdadi Arabic". Some day, there will be "Kadhmawi", "Karrady", or "Maadhmawi" subcategories from that Baghdadi "language". I will register "Karrady" as my mother tongue.

In the other hand, I appreciated the humour of the peer who compared with "London English"; as well as the other peer (from Algeria) who asked if West bank or East bank Baghdad was concerned!

Ouadoud
Ouadoud  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:04
English to Arabic
+ ...
yes Sep 6, 2005

Nesrine's suggestion about New-York or London English was really fine indeed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is Baghdadi Arabic ?!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »