Thread poster: Sam Berner

Sam Berner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:52
Member (2003)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jun 2, 2005

I am looking for a good voice recognition software that will accept input in Arabic and work with Windows XP and MS Office XP Pro.

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:52
English to Arabic
+ ...
Arabic Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR) software Jun 2, 2005

Re: software for Arabic Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR)

-----------------------

Greetings... ahalan wa sahalan...

Go to < www.isi.edu > and navigate to news releases => posts (URL below) about "Tactical Iraqi Arabic" interactive software (videogame with additional encoding for ASR and tutoring technology).

URL: http://www.isi.edu/stories/101.html (also check out the hyperlinks on the right side of that webpage.)

Hope this helps.

Khair, in sha' Allah.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(Consultant to ISI on the
"Tactical Iraqi Arabic" project)
San Pedro, California, USA

Doaa El Hefnawy  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:52
English to Arabic
+ ...
IBM ViaVoice Jun 2, 2005

IBM ViaVoice is really a good product for voice recognition in Arabic. It does need some training, of course, but after that it usually works quite well. I do not know, however, if it does work on Windows XP. The last version I tried was IBM Arabic ViaVoice Millennium and it was pretty good. I would suggest contacting the Cairo Development Center http://www.ibm.com/contact/eg/
and they will propably know more about its compatibility with Windows XP.

Sam Berner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:52
Member (2003)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ViaVoice No Longer In Arabic Jun 2, 2005

Doaa El Hefnawy wrote:

The last version I tried was IBM Arabic ViaVoice Millennium and it was pretty good. I would suggest contacting the Cairo Development Center http://www.ibm.com/contact/eg/
and they will propably know more about its compatibility with Windows XP.

I was told that (1) the software has been discontinued and (2) ScanSoft bouth ViaVoice from IBM and they are not into Arabic. So if you have a copy of the old ViaVoice, hold onto it with your teeth and hands - you won't find another one soon

But thanks nevertheless for your help. Thank you, too, Frank. Unfortunately what I need is a software that will enable me to talk into a microphone and that will do the typing for me automatically. The ISI you pointed me to is for teaching Arabic, not for voice recognition. Or am I mistaken?

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:52
English to Arabic
+ ...
Arabic ASR => PC-based recognition, conversion and auto-typing Jun 2, 2005

Greetings... TaHaiya Tayyiba wa b3ad...

Thanks for that clarification.

Re... software that will enable me to talk into a microphone and that will do the typing for me automatically.

ANS: I know of no such software that can do that recognition and conversion via auto-typing (maa sha' Allah).

The ISI website you sugegsted is for teaching Arabic, not for voice recognition. Or am I mistaken?

ANS: You are not mistaken. That ISI product with ASR capability is for interactive teaching purposes only.

Khair, in sha' Allah.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California, USA

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone know of voice recognition software in Arabic

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums