Thread poster: Vibeke Koehler

Vibeke Koehler
Norway
Local time: 08:49
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Apr 2, 2006

Hi,

I noticed there are some forum members in Kuwait.

Do you know if there are any courses in translation theory/methodology available in Kuwait? In the University perhaps, or any other private institutes?

I tried to search online, but couldt find anything useful.

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 09:49
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
You need to contact them directly Apr 2, 2006

I don't reside in Kuwait any longer, but I know that Kuwait Univeristy offers some transnlation courses for those wishing to take some as a sub-category away from the basic academic system. There are also so many language institutions there that offer different translation course; especially for interpreting.

I don't think that you'll find anything online, because the educational entities there are not interested in online services as most of their services are offered locally. Still, you may find about them in Kuwait Yellow Papers and contact them directly by phone or e-mail if any available.

I'd recommend asking someone living there to help you finding the contact information required as similar courses aren't as popular as language courses for example. You need to know where to start searching

Good Luck

Vibeke Koehler
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will contact. Any others? Apr 2, 2006

Thanks for your reply.

I am in the process of applying for Kuwait University, so if I am accepted, I'll see if I can take the course they have there. I was really only thinking of doing my Masters in Arabic there but if they have translation too, that's a plus.

And I'll check the Yellow Pages too just in case.

If anyone should happen to know a specific private institute you could recommend, I'd really like to hear about it. I am a little suspicious of all these small, private initiative courses and don't feel secure they'll offer me my money's worth.

Sam21
Egypt
Arabic to English
+ ...
Living there. Will try also, though not recommended Apr 3, 2006

I will try on my own to find one for you. I am living in Kuwait now, and heard nothing about courses of the type. But I will search for one. (Though what I heard about Kuwaiti education is not very good at all).

Regards,
Sam

Mayssa Allaf  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:49
English to Arabic
+ ...
Language Centre, Kuwait University Apr 30, 2006

Hi,
this reply might be late but I have just come across this discussion.
I work for the cultural office at kuwait embassy in London, and I think the above is the right authority for your purpose.
you can visit www.kuwaitculturaluk.com, or www.kuwait.com and start from there.

by the way what language pair you wanted. is it English/Arabic?

hope the above helps.
good luck

Vibeke Koehler
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only two options May 1, 2006

Thanks for the links.
I've been looking around and found the only two options are Kuwait University or American University of Kuwait. Although I think the latter offers the best courses they are also by far the most expensive. So depending on my finances it will be one of the two at least

English to Arabic
+ ...
grant May 26, 2006

just in case you are still interested, visit www.kuwaitculturaluk.com today, there is an advert for grants for AFL . see if you are entitled to apply. good luck

Vibeke Koehler
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Isn't that in the UK? May 26, 2006

Thanks for your help. But it looks like to me all the links on the website are related to study in the UK. Whereas I'd like to study in Kuwait.

What is AFL by the way?

Oh, and the language pair I'm interested in is Arabic/English. Forgot that last time.

English to Arabic
+ ...
AFL (Arabic for Learners) May 29, 2006

http://www.kuwaitculturaluk.com/Grants.html
this is not a translation course , but maybe you will get more information upon contacting them.

you can contact , as well, kuwait univeristy, English Language department via their website: http://www.kuniv.edu.kw/?q=english_language&Lang=en

good luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation courses in Kuwait?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs