Dina Abdo
Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 07:12
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
May 6, 2006

Tip: Arabic is written in connected characters from right to left, English is written in separated characters from left to right.

I submitted a document to one of my clients some time ago in a word file as blank text. Nothing but the source and target texts in two columns. The client sent me a couple of days ago telling me that He'd like me to review the PDF files created for the text with all the DTP work. The designer doesn't know Arabic, and so many amends were required in the fi
... See more
Tip: Arabic is written in connected characters from right to left, English is written in separated characters from left to right.

I submitted a document to one of my clients some time ago in a word file as blank text. Nothing but the source and target texts in two columns. The client sent me a couple of days ago telling me that He'd like me to review the PDF files created for the text with all the DTP work. The designer doesn't know Arabic, and so many amends were required in the file. As I couldn't apply changes to the PDF, the client sent me the MS WROD version of the file and asked me to apply the modifications into it.

Viewing the word file, the text was all written in Arabic characters, but as if English (i.e. separated characters from left to right) the word نص for example was showing ص ن ... this is in spite of the fact that the text looks just perfect in the PDF file!!

I tried copying the text from the PDF file into the word file, but the result was always the same ... mirrored text!!

I need to get the file ready by tomorrow, and it doesn't make sense re-typing the whole 30 pages or even copying the blank text and work on it's formatting all over again!!

Any suggestions?
Collapse

Waleed Mohamed
Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 08:12
English to Arabic
+ ...
Chaning the font... May 6, 2006

Dear Dina,

Similar problem happened to me about 3 years ago. A colleague advised me to change the Arabic font to Simplified Arabic Fixed. This simply solved the problem.
So, just select your text and choose the font “Simplified Arabic Fixed” and see whether this will solve your problem.
I hope this helps you!

Regards,

Waleed

Dina Abdo
Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It didn't work out :( May 6, 2006

It didn't work Waleed ... I even tried changing it with other Arabic fonts but the problem is still there. It looks like something's not changing with the formatting maybe ... I don't know.

I'll have to retype the documents all over again I guess ... no other way until now

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Return document to client, but also try this trick May 6, 2006

You are under no obligation to work with a defective document.

Explaine to the clinent that the word file is useless for this purpose. They can either provide you with a serviceable document or accept changes made by hand on a hardcopy. You can print the PDF, make the changes with a pen, stuff the pages in an envelope, and FedEx it to the client at their expense. If their typesetter cannot work with handwritten Arabic, it is time for the client to switch to a typesetter that can. Th
... See more

Explaine to the clinent that the word file is useless for this purpose. They can either provide you with a serviceable document or accept changes made by hand on a hardcopy. You can print the PDF, make the changes with a pen, stuff the pages in an envelope, and FedEx it to the client at their expense. If their typesetter cannot work with handwritten Arabic, it is time for the client to switch to a typesetter that can. The shortcomings are not on your end, but on the client's end. You are under no obligation to make up for the client's (or their typesetter's) failures.

Now for some possible remedies:

You said that when you copy-and-pasted the text from the PDF to a Word document, the result was reversed text. Good. Now, at least you know how the reversal happened, which may point you to a possible solution.

Creat a PDF file from the bad Word document (either the one that you made or the one that the client sent you. Copy the reversed text from the new PDF file to a new Word document. That should reverse it back to normal, shouldn't it?
Collapse

w2m14
w2m14
Local time: 06:12
English to Arabic
Suggested solutions May 6, 2006

Hi Dina

- I may suggest saving the PDF file as MS Word document (this requires Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Me or higher).

- If this does not work, you can copy the text from the PDF file and paste it in a Notepad file, then you should change the font into Times New Roman or Arial. At that point, you have to copy the text again and paste it in MS Word document to solve the problem of letter separation.

- If the text still needs to be flipped, you can use a command in
... See more
Hi Dina

- I may suggest saving the PDF file as MS Word document (this requires Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Me or higher).

- If this does not work, you can copy the text from the PDF file and paste it in a Notepad file, then you should change the font into Times New Roman or Arial. At that point, you have to copy the text again and paste it in MS Word document to solve the problem of letter separation.

- If the text still needs to be flipped, you can use a command in MS Word called RtlRun.
Collapse

Dina Abdo
Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Made sense to me, but didn't work either :) May 6, 2006

Fuad Yahya wrote:

Explain to the client that the word file is useless for this purpose. They can either provide you with a serviceable document or accept changes made by hand on a hardcopy. You can print the PDF, make the changes with a pen, stuff the pages in an envelope, and FedEx it to the client at their expense. If their typesetter cannot work with handwritten Arabic, it is time for the client to switch to a typesetter that can. The shortcomings are not on your end, but on the client's end. You are under no obligation to make up for the client's (or their typesetter's) failures.

I totally understand and agree Mr. Fuad.

Fuad Yahya wrote:
Create a PDF file from the bad Word document (either the one that you made or the one that the client sent you. Copy the reversed text from the new PDF file to a new Word document. That should reverse it back to normal, shouldn't it?

Made sense to me, but it didn't work out when I tried it. I ended up with a PDF AND a word file both with mirrored text. I believe that the problem is that either the converter my client used to create the PDF or the software used for designing the files doesn't support Arabic. i.e. It's a defective text I'm handling originally here ... I guess!

Thanks for the suggestion anyway I guess I have nothing to do after all

eltorgomania
eltorgomania
English to Arabic
+ ...
this is a problem of font I believe May 7, 2006

why don't you try to open the file in Freehand or Corel Draw, so it will tell you about the missing font. I believe I had the problem some years ago, but I solved it easily. Unfortunately, I can't remember how.

Imad Almaghary (X)
Imad Almaghary (X)
English to Arabic
+ ...
If it is okay in PDF then there is a hope May 7, 2006

good morning

If you email me the file in PDF then I will pass it to our IT department workers and there is a high likelihood of finding out a solution. This will be done for free.

Yours
Mr. Imad

Dina Abdo
Palestine
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody :) May 7, 2006

Thank you all for your suggestions ... Unfortunately, none worked out, and as I had to deliver the file today, I went on re-typing it last night

Went for the hard way after all

Thanks again everybody really appreciate it...
See more
Thank you all for your suggestions ... Unfortunately, none worked out, and as I had to deliver the file today, I went on re-typing it last night

Went for the hard way after all

Thanks again everybody really appreciate it
Collapse

w2m14
w2m14
English to Arabic
A solution that worked with me May 7, 2006

w2m14 wrote:

- If the text still needs to be flipped, you can use a command in MS Word called RtlRun.

I tried to imitate the problem you mentioned, I got a PDF file, copied the text and pasted it in a doc file. The problem was there just as you descriped. When I tried to fix it using RtlRun it did not work, then I tried LtrRun and it worked.
You can get this command in MS Word as follows:

1. Select the text that flipped.
2. On the Tools menu, click Macro and then click Macros.
3. On the Macros in list, click Word commands.
4. If you want the text to be right-to-left, select the RtlRun macro and then click the Run button.
5. If you want the text to be left-to-right, select the LtrRun macro and then click the Run button.
The macro restores the correct layout to the selected text.

It worked with me, I hope it work next time as you said you typed the text.

Thanks and sorry for saying RtlRun instead of LtrRun.

Sayed Darwish

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT!! Mirrored Arabic Text!!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »