LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:49
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2006

Smart, Skilled, Shut Out
Intel agencies are desperate for Arabic speakers. So why do they reject some of the best and brightest? Kopp, an American fluent in Arabic, can't get work...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13392191/site/newsweek/

[Edited at 2006-06-25 15:46]

Direct link Reply with quote

John Colangelo  Identity Verified
Qatar
Local time: 23:49
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
American Burocracy... Jun 25, 2006

I was not given a clearance because of my studies in Makkah. And it´s not that I am interested in politics but any work which would normally come through a translation agency can or will not come because of a lack of clearance.

[Edited at 2006-06-25 22:18]

Richard Creech  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:49
French to English
+ ...
Priorities Jun 25, 2006

In addition, gay and lesbian linguists need not apply. Over the past few years the U.S. military has fired numerous homosexual lingusits, many of whom worked with Arabic, solely because of their sexual orientation. Mounds of time-sensitive intelligence go untranslated as a result. A lack of Arabic translators is one of the reasons why the U.S. failed to learn of the September 11th attacks before they happened. Unfortunately, the United States seems to be more interested in discriminating against its citizens than in protecting them.

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:49
English to Arabic
+ ...
Yet another episode of "right hand" versus "left hand' in the US Government Jun 26, 2006

That is an interesting article in Newsweek about that linguist's travails.

So much for the concept of expedited processing of a person's suitabilty for a security clearance on the basis of "compelling need and good of the government."

Similar incidents are, alas, available.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English Arabic,
Kurdish and Persian
San Pedro, California

Qatar
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Re: Priorities Jun 26, 2006

Richard Creech wrote:

In addition, gay and lesbian linguists need not apply. Over the past few years the U.S. military has fired numerous homosexual lingusits, many of whom worked with Arabic, solely because of their sexual orientation. Mounds of time-sensitive intelligence go untranslated as a result. A lack of Arabic translators is one of the reasons why the U.S. failed to learn of the September 11th attacks before they happened. Unfortunately, the United States seems to be more interested in discriminating against its citizens than in protecting them.

I remember seeing that on TV more than 4 or 5 years ago. Actually one the linguists who was discharged from the DFL was almost finishing his training and although he was complaining about what happened, he was still able to find work.

Ouadoud  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
I didn't understand Jun 26, 2006

Richard Creech wrote:

... Over the past few years the U.S. military has fired numerous homosexual lingusits, many of whom worked with Arabic, solely because of their sexual orientation.

Be patient with my question please Richard.

Do you mean that Arabic language is so sexy that it attracts people?

i didn't know that side of my beloved language.

Salaam,

Ouadoud

Edited to tell Richard that the thanks in Arabic (شكرا) on his website is a real esthetic beauty. cheers!

[Edited at 2006-06-26 15:00]

Qatar
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Did you know ... Jun 26, 2006

... your picture on Proz is cooler than on the other place?

Ouadoud  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
She's the artistic boss Jun 27, 2006

My wife is my artistic adviser. She takes care of these aspects, and doesn't accept any interference. So I make a low profile and take care of my business. Crazy guys, so say that Arab women haven't enough power

Salaam John,

Ouadoud

Qatar
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
This means ... Jun 27, 2006

Ouadoud wrote:

My wife is my artistic adviser. She takes care of these aspects, and doesn't accept any interference. So I make a low profile and take care of my business. Crazy guys, so say that Arab women haven't enough power

Salaam John,

Ouadoud

... you have an agent. Remind me to ask you for your picture with an autograph ...

وعليكم السلام

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arabic Speakers Wanted??

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs