John Colangelo
John Colangelo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:36
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2006

I am being asked to correct an English translation of an Arabic commentary of the Quran. My question is that if my normal rate for translation is 8 US cents per word, what would be a good rate for correction per page.

Waleed Mohamed
Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 16:36
English to Arabic
+ ...
Hourly rate Jun 25, 2006

Hi John,

I think this kind of job should be based on hourly rate. If I am offered this job, I would see how much is my output per hour, and this will be my rate for such correction job. For example, if you translate about 300 words per hour, your rate for this correction job should be based on hourly rate, and the hourly rate would be 300*8 cents.

Best regards,

Waleed

John Colangelo
United States
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
أهلا يا وليد Jun 25, 2006

Waleed Mohamed wrote:

Hi John,

I think this kind of job should be based on hourly rate. If I am offered this job, I would see how much is my output per hour, and this will be my rate for such correction job. For example, if you translate about 300 words per hour, your rate for this correction job should be based on hourly rate, and the hourly rate would be 300*8 cents.

Best regards,

Waleed

The problem is that when translating a commentary your translation should be literary. And 300 words ( I realize it was only an example) would be very difficult for me as I really have to make sure that what's coming out reflects the meaning and is in literary English. I also understand that literary language can be classified as well.

Then another factor is what people in the area are being paid. There is a lot of competition. You know, I said to the guy: Look, I can correct but to put in my style is an extra investment in time and effort.

I was thinking of calculating what I would charge per page and charge maybe 20% but I am not sure.

duraid
duraid
Australia
Local time: 22:36
Arabic to English
+ ...
Per Page Jun 27, 2006

Dear Friend:
I have been engaged in the field of translating and editing Islamic books for years. The deal usually goes per page and it is based on the volume of the work and the difficulty of the task.
Correcting the translation of a certain Islamic book is usually simpiler than correcting Arabic commentary of the Quran, hence I usually charge more than the case with a normal Islamic book. I don’t think charging 20% is an accurate figure especially if you have to refer to other c
... See more
Dear Friend:
I have been engaged in the field of translating and editing Islamic books for years. The deal usually goes per page and it is based on the volume of the work and the difficulty of the task.
Correcting the translation of a certain Islamic book is usually simpiler than correcting Arabic commentary of the Quran, hence I usually charge more than the case with a normal Islamic book. I don’t think charging 20% is an accurate figure especially if you have to refer to other commentries, i.e. Mohammad Asad and Yousof Ali to enhance the language.

Regards
Collapse

John Colangelo
United States
Member (2006)
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fantastic Duraid ... Jun 27, 2006

duraid wrote:

Dear Friend:
Correcting the translation of a certain Islamic book is usually simpiler than correcting Arabic commentary of the Quran, hence I usually charge more than the case with a normal Islamic book. I don’t think charging 20% is an accurate figure especially if you have to refer to other commentries, i.e. Mohammad Asad and Yousof Ali to enhance the language.

Regards

... but could you suggest a figure?

والسلام

duraid
duraid
Australia
Local time: 22:36
Arabic to English
+ ...
Dear John Jun 28, 2006

It all depends on what is required from you to do. If it just to correct the language then you might charge around 30% of what you charge in case you translate the text. If it required that you apply your own style to the whole work then 40% to 50% could be a reasonable rate.

I was recently editing a detailed indexing of Mohammad Asad commentary of the Holy Quran. The publisher asked me to find a way to lower the number of pages of the index to the half. I charged about 20% of what
... See more
It all depends on what is required from you to do. If it just to correct the language then you might charge around 30% of what you charge in case you translate the text. If it required that you apply your own style to the whole work then 40% to 50% could be a reasonable rate.

I was recently editing a detailed indexing of Mohammad Asad commentary of the Holy Quran. The publisher asked me to find a way to lower the number of pages of the index to the half. I charged about 20% of what I usually charge in case I translate a text thought such work is easier than correcting the language of a translation.

Regards

[Edited at 2006-06-28 02:08]
Collapse

Mutarjim97
Mutarjim97
United States
French to Arabic
+ ...
Minimum Charge Jun 28, 2006

John,

For such type of work, I think it is safer for you to charge your minimum whatever that is (e.g: hourly rate up to a certain number of words) assuming you have already advised the client of your rates including the minimum per task, even if you have to just take a look at post-DTP work. This is how I normally charge it. Good luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Correction per page ...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »