Thread poster: Nesrin
Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:41
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jan 6, 2007

[I'm sure I asked this a couple of years ago, but I can't find the discussion, and I can't remember what the conclusion was! Anyway...]

I have an Arabic text which is full of reference numbers (referring to certain documents). The reference "numbers" consist of letters and numbers, e.g
أ.ر.ن 1024
and I can't figure out what the letters stand for. How can I best render this in my English translation?
I'm thinking maybe putting something like [Arabic reference n
... See more
[I'm sure I asked this a couple of years ago, but I can't find the discussion, and I can't remember what the conclusion was! Anyway...]

I have an Arabic text which is full of reference numbers (referring to certain documents). The reference "numbers" consist of letters and numbers, e.g
أ.ر.ن 1024
and I can't figure out what the letters stand for. How can I best render this in my English translation?
I'm thinking maybe putting something like [Arabic reference number] instead .. Any better ideas?
Collapse

Ehab Tantawy
Ehab Tantawy  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:41
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Simulation!!!!! Jan 6, 2007

Asslamu Alikum

Sister Nesrin

What do you do in the opposite case?i.e., When you have an English source to be translated into Arabic, which contains also Ref. numbers, either you transliterate them or may you type them as the source in some cases.

I think it may depend on your methodology you follow in all of your translations from En>Ar, or may depend on the client that wants them left as they are or upon his guidelines.

My opinion, if there i
... See more
Asslamu Alikum

Sister Nesrin

What do you do in the opposite case?i.e., When you have an English source to be translated into Arabic, which contains also Ref. numbers, either you transliterate them or may you type them as the source in some cases.

I think it may depend on your methodology you follow in all of your translations from En>Ar, or may depend on the client that wants them left as they are or upon his guidelines.

My opinion, if there is not any guidelines from the client, i will deal with the Arabic source in this type of translation with the same methodology followed for English sources " The Simulation!!!!!".

May my opinion does not meet yours, but i am thinking with you.

Good Luck

Regards,
Ehab
Collapse

Nesrin
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ehab Jan 6, 2007

When I have English initials in an English document I'm translating into Arabic, I just leave them in English - I never even give it a second thought!
But putting Arabic initials in an English document - I don't know, that would seem a bit unusual, wouldn't it?

Ehab Tantawy
Ehab Tantawy  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:41
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Both are acceptable, UP TO YOU Jan 6, 2007

Nesrin wrote:

When I have English initials in an English document I'm translating into Arabic, I just leave them in English - I never even give it a second thought!
But putting Arabic initials in an English document - I don't know, that would seem a bit unusual, wouldn't it?

Sister Nesrin

Actually its confusing. Why you do not ask the client??!!!

Whatever, if you can replace the Arabic letters with their reasonable Arabic equivalents, OK "GO ON'.

If not, i think in many translations, leaving the English Ref. Numbers, especially, as they are references and must be left as they are, when the case is En>Ar translation, is acceptable. So, now the ball in your playground.

Actually, i wanted to help.

Up to you and ready for any discussion or share ideas, i am online for sometime.

Best of luck.

regards,
Ehab

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 02:41
English to Arabic
+ ...
Keep as is Jan 7, 2007

I understand your worries regarding typing Arabic letters within foreign language text.

As it is a reference I will keep it as is regardless what the source/target language is.

A question: if you translate the reference will it be still a reference (that can be referred to)?! In most cases the answer is "NO".

In some cases only I may translate references when they have an agreed upon equivalents with clients. otherwise, I keep reference as is.

... See more
I understand your worries regarding typing Arabic letters within foreign language text.

As it is a reference I will keep it as is regardless what the source/target language is.

A question: if you translate the reference will it be still a reference (that can be referred to)?! In most cases the answer is "NO".

In some cases only I may translate references when they have an agreed upon equivalents with clients. otherwise, I keep reference as is.

HTH

Ahmed Wadan
Arabic-English-Arabic Financial Translator
http://wadan.arablish.com

[Edited at 2007-01-08 08:06]
Collapse

Nesrin
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right, guys! Jan 7, 2007

I have to admit I wasn't very convinced, but this convinced me:

A question: if you translate the reference will it be still a reference (that can be referred to)?! In most cased the answer is "NO".

So I kept the Arabic letters in the English document (never done that before!). If the reader of the English translation wants to request a copy of the Arabic document referred to, he will have the possibility of copying the Arabic letters, even if he doesn't speak Arabic. Any other solution won't be helpful to him.

Thanks!

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
English to Arabic
+ ...
Another issue Jan 8, 2007

Hi again Nesrin,

Since you will keep reference as is, I recommend that you enclose the Arabic font used (font.TTF) for such reference (if you use a special font). Otherwise, Arabic may appear scrambled.

Maybe you already do that so forgive my recommendation

Ahmed Wadan
Arabic-English-Arab
... See more
Hi again Nesrin,

Since you will keep reference as is, I recommend that you enclose the Arabic font used (font.TTF) for such reference (if you use a special font). Otherwise, Arabic may appear scrambled.

Maybe you already do that so forgive my recommendation

Ahmed Wadan
Arabic-English-Arabic Financial Translator
http://wadan.arablish.com
Collapse

Ahmad Batiran
Ahmad Batiran  Identity Verified
Yemen
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
A Suggestion for a Long Document Jan 8, 2007

bismillaah

I agree with what my colleagues discussed.

Concerning a long document, one can use a legend of the Arabic scripts (transliteration), this is to avoid the big size of images (and the headache of creating them if they are not ready) and the scrambled text that results of wrong decoding.

Good luck!

Ahmed

[Edited at 2007-01-08 14:25]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arabic reference numbers

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »