Thread poster: Alaa Zeineldine

Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 01:47
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Feb 12, 2007

I am currently in the process of settling back in Alexandria, Egypt following a lifetime abroad. One of the first orders of business on my list is to set up a bank account for my translation work.

I need advice from Egypt based colleagues about good banks in Alexandria. Especially important are banks which offer Dollar checking accounts, ease of receiving international wire transfers, minimum bureaucracy, Visa or Mastercard checking/debit cards, adequate customer service over the phone, and ideally internet banking.

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:47
English to Arabic
+ ...
Try NSGB Feb 13, 2007

First of all, good luck in your new endeavours!

I have a USD account with the National Societe Generale Bank - in Cairo, but they do have branches in Alex. I can access my account online, and I THINK theoretically you can also do transfers online, but if I remember correctly I tried it once and it didn't work for some reason. But what I like best about NSGB is that its branches are quite small compared to other bank branches in Egypt, so there are never any queues, and there's always someone to talk to when you drop by.

Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 03:47
English to Arabic
+ ...
I think HSBC will your best choice ... Feb 13, 2007

Hello Alaa,

I have had a very encouraging and positive experience with HSBC Bank Egypt.

Pros:
- Very professional and helpful staff
- Great full internet banking service
- This bank was nominated the best bank in Egypt for three years.
- Great phone customer support 7/24. Their number is (+202) 19007.
- No queues at all

cons:
None so far

HSBC has three branches in Alex. There is a branch in Sultan Hussein Street and I have an account with that branch.

I have a master card issued from that bank.

I highly recommend this bank.
I have resorted to this bank after I had a very bad experience with Egyptian national banks.

Wish you best of luck!

Waleed

AhmedAMS  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:47
English to Arabic
+ ...
Both HSBC and BNP Paribas are HIGHLY recommended Feb 13, 2007

My opinion is based on my own (until NOW) personal experience with them.
HSBC is absolutely the best bank in Egypt regarding the service and fees of processing the foreign checks.
They are both far better than NSGB. Unfortunately, I did not try them in receiving wire transfers. However, they provide that service.
http://www.egypt.hsbc.com/hsbc/egypt_hom
http://egypt.bnpparibas.net/en/

Ahmed Ismail  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 01:47
English to Arabic
+ ...
Go for HSBC Feb 15, 2007

HSBC is the best bank in Egypt. They provide a world-class customer service which you will miss a lot in Egypt!

They also have a good online banking and some of their branches open till 5.00 PM!!

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which bank in Egypt?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs