Thread poster: Maya Hage
Maya Hage
Maya Hage  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:03
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 6, 2007

Hi all! Do you know if there is a difference between Egyptian Arabic and Bahreini Arabic? If yes, do you know what it coud it be??

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:03
English to Arabic
+ ...
Plenty! Mar 6, 2007

Hi Maya - Since you're a native Arabic speaker, I'm sure you're aware that there are huge differences between one Arabic dialect and another.
Or am I missing something in your question?

[Edited at 2007-03-06 19:05]

Maya Hage
Maya Hage  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:03
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
written language Mar 7, 2007

Hi Nesrin,
Yes you're right. But I don't mean the Arabic dialects but I mean the written Arabic. Is there a difference between the Egyptian and the Bahreini written Arabic language? I mean if an Egyptian person is reading a text written/translated by a Bahreini, would he be able to understand it? According to my knowledge, he can, but some people say no!!! So, if your answer is negative, do you know where can find examples about that difference?
Thanks in advance

Ahmad Hassaballa
Ahmad Hassaballa  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:03
Member (2005)
German to Arabic
+ ...
Wirtten no, spoken yessss Mar 7, 2007

Hello Maya,

There's no differencies between any country in written Arabic. Myabe you face some strange definitions from one country to another, specially in technical fields (e.g برغي in Lebanon, and مسمار قلاووظ أو ملولب in Egypt).

But, sure spoken Arabic varies from one country to another. You just need to open your satellite TV to have a look

Kind regards,

Ahmad

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Some differences Mar 7, 2007

Hi Maya,

I agree with Ahmed above, and also with you - a text translated by any Arab SHOULD be largely understandable by any other Arab, provided the translator has done a good job, that is.

But there are certain TERMS which vary from one country to another, as Ahmed pointed out. One of the most famous examples is the Arabic word for mobile phone: depending on where you are, it could be محمول، خلوي، جوال، and of course موبايل and goodness knows wha
... See more
Hi Maya,

I agree with Ahmed above, and also with you - a text translated by any Arab SHOULD be largely understandable by any other Arab, provided the translator has done a good job, that is.

But there are certain TERMS which vary from one country to another, as Ahmed pointed out. One of the most famous examples is the Arabic word for mobile phone: depending on where you are, it could be محمول، خلوي، جوال، and of course موبايل and goodness knows what else.

I wouldn't say there are any differences in the structure/grammar of standard Egyptian or Bahraini Arabic though.
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 11:03
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nesrin's "right on it" with her good comment Mar 9, 2007

Ahalan wa sahalan...

Nesrin's "right on it" with her good comment, including the illustrative example of the several popular terms for mobile phones. That practice seems most frequent in commercial, multi-media, and technical areas.

Khair, in shaa' Alah.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
Riyadh
("Jawaalii")

the Train
the Train  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
If standard Arabic is used Mar 16, 2007

Hi,
If standard Arabic is used, they are pretty much the same, apart from some idioms/expressions as Nesrin explained.

If the Arabic is a little bit on the colloquial side written or spoken, it is very difficult for an Egyptian person to know what they're writing/talking about.

I am Egyptian-born and lived there for a while. I could understand what was written in newspapers, formal letters, novels, technical manuals... but colloquial poetry, some magazines, adv
... See more
Hi,
If standard Arabic is used, they are pretty much the same, apart from some idioms/expressions as Nesrin explained.

If the Arabic is a little bit on the colloquial side written or spoken, it is very difficult for an Egyptian person to know what they're writing/talking about.

I am Egyptian-born and lived there for a while. I could understand what was written in newspapers, formal letters, novels, technical manuals... but colloquial poetry, some magazines, adverts, promotional brochures, etc. Nope. They took me a long while.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arabic categories

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »