Thread poster: zkt
zkt
zkt  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 23:19
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jun 17, 2007

I wanted to join WATA but I found there were two, one in Belgium and another one in Qatar. So I didn't know which one to join.
Can I have your opinions on each one of them.
What are the benefits of their memberships?

Thank you very much

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:19
English to Arabic
+ ...
I have no idea to be honest! Jun 17, 2007

I'm sorry I can't help you with your questions, but I can only share your confusion. I do think they're one and the same organisation though, but WATA has long been a source of confusion for me.
The site (or sites) looks different every time I visit it. WATA's services are quite unclear (to me at least). When I first signed up a few years ago, I subscribed to receive daily emails and notifications to keep up with its developments. But I became inundated with tons of daily emails about lit
... See more
I'm sorry I can't help you with your questions, but I can only share your confusion. I do think they're one and the same organisation though, but WATA has long been a source of confusion for me.
The site (or sites) looks different every time I visit it. WATA's services are quite unclear (to me at least). When I first signed up a few years ago, I subscribed to receive daily emails and notifications to keep up with its developments. But I became inundated with tons of daily emails about literature and poetry, personal emails in which members complimented and praised each other, and lots of irrelevant information (to me), so I unsubscribed myself. And that was it.
Anyway, I hope some other colleagues can help answer your questions and give us a more positive picture.
Collapse

Nisreen Barakat
Nisreen Barakat  Identity Verified
Palestine
English to Arabic
+ ...
WATA Jun 18, 2007

Hello,

I joined WATA like 2 years ago, I think their main office is in Qatar and they have recently opened a branch in Belgium, I live in Belgium but have never heard of WATA since I came here.
Anyways, as Nesrin mentioned, you receive daily e-mails that are mostly related to litterature, every now and then an interesting subject might come up. But, I never found it as a good source for jobs and practical exchange between translators.

I am still a member though... See more
Hello,

I joined WATA like 2 years ago, I think their main office is in Qatar and they have recently opened a branch in Belgium, I live in Belgium but have never heard of WATA since I came here.
Anyways, as Nesrin mentioned, you receive daily e-mails that are mostly related to litterature, every now and then an interesting subject might come up. But, I never found it as a good source for jobs and practical exchange between translators.

I am still a member though there are different kinds of members by the way. I forgot to which one I belong

Best regards
Collapse

zkt
zkt  Identity Verified
Lebanon
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wata Belgium Jun 18, 2007

WATA Belgium claim that they are the one and only (I suppose this statement is made to respond to another Wata)
Moreover the Qatari Wata has well known members (Such as Ahamd Shafeek Al Khateeb, I think so), but still I am confused.

It is nice to find a place where one can communicate with experienced translators, linguists and terminologists.

I don't know if any proz user or member has had any experience with one these associations. I would like to have their o
... See more
WATA Belgium claim that they are the one and only (I suppose this statement is made to respond to another Wata)
Moreover the Qatari Wata has well known members (Such as Ahamd Shafeek Al Khateeb, I think so), but still I am confused.

It is nice to find a place where one can communicate with experienced translators, linguists and terminologists.

I don't know if any proz user or member has had any experience with one these associations. I would like to have their opinion.

I find Proz a very enriching meeting place and I am really happy to participate, though I didnt have any job until now.

Thank you very much
Collapse

Ahmad Abdul-hafeeZ
Ahmad Abdul-hafeeZ  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
El khatib's WATA Jun 18, 2007

Dear …
Both WATAs are real, each one has its professionals and well- known experts who work for their sites. But I think (and this is my own opinion) the Qatari WATA is more helpful for the following reasons:
1.Worldwide fame.
2.Variety of activities and topics.
3.Active and professional translators & linguistics (like Ahmad Shafik El Khatib)
4. … and more.
Regards
Or
6ahia wa6awiah

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:19
English to Arabic
+ ...
I think I finally got it Jun 18, 2007

Hi zkt,

I think I finally found the answer to your question. Please check the following discussion http://www.alfaseeh.net/vb/showthread.php?t=12990
Skip the first few contributions and scroll down to the posting by
عبدالرحمن السليمان
which I think explains a lot. Basically the conclusion i
... See more
Hi zkt,

I think I finally found the answer to your question. Please check the following discussion http://www.alfaseeh.net/vb/showthread.php?t=12990
Skip the first few contributions and scroll down to the posting by
عبدالرحمن السليمان
which I think explains a lot. Basically the conclusion is that www.wataonline.net is the "proper" organisation now, after the original association split in 2005 (bear in mind the writer is a member of the Board of what he describes as the proper organisation). But what he says does make a lot of sense.
Collapse

zkt
zkt  Identity Verified
Lebanon
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nesrin Jun 19, 2007

Nesrin wrote:

the conclusion is that www.wataonline.net is the "proper" organisation now, after the original association split in 2005 (bear in mind the writer is a member of the Board of what he describes as the proper organisation). But what he says does make a lot of sense.

Thank you very much Nesrin, hope your find will benefit others too.

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 22:19
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Fact summary Jul 10, 2007

When I joined WATA, it was one body called الجمعية الدولية للمترجمين العرب. While it was based in Qatar, the organization was not registered in Qatar, but I believe that steps were under way to register it in Belgium. I became uncomfortable with WATA and left after some time.

Due to reasons that I will not mention here for good reason, a couple of the founders started another internet community under the same name. The officers of the original WATA, now
... See more
When I joined WATA, it was one body called الجمعية الدولية للمترجمين العرب. While it was based in Qatar, the organization was not registered in Qatar, but I believe that steps were under way to register it in Belgium. I became uncomfortable with WATA and left after some time.

Due to reasons that I will not mention here for good reason, a couple of the founders started another internet community under the same name. The officers of the original WATA, now officially registered in Belgium, warned against unauthorized use of the name, which led the founders of the second WATA to change their name to الجمعية الدولية للمترجمين واللغويين العرب, but they continued to use the WATA acronym despite a legal dispute about it with the board of the original Belgium based organization.

I have since rejoined the original WATA (the one registered in Belgium). However, I will not discuss my reasons nor my opinion on the dispute between the two organizations to avoid importing any controversey into this forum.

[Edited at 2007-07-10 17:35]
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 13:19
English to Arabic
+ ...
WATA and benefit to growing of one's business practice? Sep 6, 2007

Greetings to all... taHaiya Tayiba liljamii3...

Separate from the opportunties to meet, socialize and commiserate online with other translators, could any subscriber mention whether and how either of these two "WATA" organizations provided any direct benefit -- such as a referral to any for-fee paid projects -- that enabled a freelance translator to grow, market or publicize his/her business practice?

Thus far, no such attributable evidence has appeared (while realizing
... See more
Greetings to all... taHaiya Tayiba liljamii3...

Separate from the opportunties to meet, socialize and commiserate online with other translators, could any subscriber mention whether and how either of these two "WATA" organizations provided any direct benefit -- such as a referral to any for-fee paid projects -- that enabled a freelance translator to grow, market or publicize his/her business practice?

Thus far, no such attributable evidence has appeared (while realizing that I may have missed some items or been misinformed).

Khair, in shaa' Allah.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
Riyadh
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which WATA is the real one?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »