Thread poster: Nesrin
Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:21
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nov 15, 2007

Hi all - I need urgent help with this one!
I know how to write fractions normally - with the numbers top and bottom separated by a horizontal line.
But if I have an equation where the fractions in English look like that: 1/2 for one half, 1/3 for one third etc, how do you write these in an Arabic equation from right to left? 1/2 and 1/3? Or 2/1 and 3/1?? I think it's the first one but need to be sure.

Thx

AhmedAMS
AhmedAMS  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:21
English to Arabic
+ ...
As follows Nov 15, 2007

1/2 & 1/3

Abdellatif Bouhid
Abdellatif Bouhid  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:21
English to French
+ ...
Numbers are read from left to right Nov 15, 2007

http://www.sfusd.k12.ca.us/schwww/sch618/ScienceMath/Math.html

hamani56 (X)
hamani56 (X)
Afghanistan
Local time: 02:51
reading numbers in arabic Nov 16, 2007

in arabic, numbers are normally read from right to left, so when you have, for example, the number '21' in an english or french text, in arabic it is read 'one and twenty' (wahid wa 3ishroun) and therefore is still written '21'.

Nathalie_A (X)
Nathalie_A (X)
Local time: 01:21
Arabic to English
arabic fractions Nov 17, 2007

if you have 1/2 in english, for example, you would spell it as 2\1 (but in arabic numerals)... that way, because it is read from right to left, one would read 1/2.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent! How to write Arabic fractions?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »