https://www.proz.com/forum/being_independent/1042-don%5Ct_you_have_your_cv_as_a_safe_pdf_file_i%5Cll_create_the_file_for_free_to_you.html

Don\'t you have your CV as a safe pdf-file? I\'ll create the file for free to you.
Thread poster: SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
Local time: 10:42
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jan 11, 2002

We have in previous threads and in another forum discussed the PirateZ on ProZ who copies CV:s word by word. One of the posters mentioned that a pdf-file was to prefer to usual Word-files, when it comes to CV:s. That\'s absolutely correct. You can\'t change or copy anything in a pdf-file. You can of course type the words in a Word-document, but I think that creating a pdf-file is the nearest you get to secure and protect your documents.

When you make a pdf-file, a software c
... See more
We have in previous threads and in another forum discussed the PirateZ on ProZ who copies CV:s word by word. One of the posters mentioned that a pdf-file was to prefer to usual Word-files, when it comes to CV:s. That\'s absolutely correct. You can\'t change or copy anything in a pdf-file. You can of course type the words in a Word-document, but I think that creating a pdf-file is the nearest you get to secure and protect your documents.

When you make a pdf-file, a software called Adobe Acrobat is used. But everyone doesn\'t have that software, so I\'ll create the file for free as a service. It takes about 15 seconds. ProZ-members should help each other, right... Since I posted this thread in another other forum, dozens of translators has taken advantage of my offer.

Just mail me your CV on [email protected], I\'ll make the pdf-file and send it back to you. I guarantee total secrecy.

Best regards

Mattias Bergström

http://www.Swedish-Translation.com
[addsig]
Collapse

Umit Altug
Umit Altug  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:42
English to Turkish
+ ...
Just to help Mattias Jan 11, 2002

Mattias has set a good example with this offer for help. I can assume some part of his \"work load.\" You can mail CVs to be converted to me as well. Certainly, this is a free service and confidentiality is guaranteed.

Please send to [email protected], not to my proz e-mail.

Regards

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Acrobat files can be changed Jan 11, 2002

I happen to have Adobe Acrobat too.

Under File-->BatchProcessing--> Save all as .RTF-file , Acrobat-files can be converted to rich text files and rich text files to word files.

mckinnc
mckinnc  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
you can change PDFs Jan 11, 2002

>>You can\'t change or copy anything in a pdf-file.

It is possible to change PDFs and copy text from them. If you have Acrobat Exchange, the full package, you can do all kinds of stuff to the files, including modifying text. You could easily swap your name for that of the person who created the original. However, it is possible when you create your PDFs using Acrobat Exchange to lock your file so that it can\'t be changed in this way.

I don\'t really get
... See more
>>You can\'t change or copy anything in a pdf-file.

It is possible to change PDFs and copy text from them. If you have Acrobat Exchange, the full package, you can do all kinds of stuff to the files, including modifying text. You could easily swap your name for that of the person who created the original. However, it is possible when you create your PDFs using Acrobat Exchange to lock your file so that it can\'t be changed in this way.

I don\'t really get why anyone would want to reuse someone else\'s CV anyway but never mind.

Collapse

mckinnc
mckinnc  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Acrobat Reader is free Jan 11, 2002

Just another thing. You can get the basic version of Adobe Acrobat, Acrobat Reader for free when you buy many PC products. For example, many CDs that come with PC hardware include a copy to enable you to read the bundled documentation in PDF format. As the name suggests Reader just allows you to display PDFs.

You can download the Reader for free from www.adobe.com. Just click on Get Acrobat Reader.

... See more
Just another thing. You can get the basic version of Adobe Acrobat, Acrobat Reader for free when you buy many PC products. For example, many CDs that come with PC hardware include a copy to enable you to read the bundled documentation in PDF format. As the name suggests Reader just allows you to display PDFs.

You can download the Reader for free from www.adobe.com. Just click on Get Acrobat Reader.

As for creating PDFs, the latest versions of MS Word should have a driver to enable you to create PDFs from Word documents.

Collapse

Friedrich Reinold
Friedrich Reinold
United States
Local time: 01:42
Member (2003)
English to German
PDF Security Jan 11, 2002

You can set the security features for a PDF file so that the reader cannot edit or even print the file, even if he has the full Acrobat version. There are several options you can use selectively or collectively. I also strongly advocate sending your resume as a pdf file.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:42
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Cvs... Jan 11, 2002

this is a great idea for an agency to widen its own translators database....

GG

Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
OK, I'm game Jan 11, 2002

I am also willing to \"pdf\" CV\'s for those that think they need it (can\'t have two people \"pdf\'ing\" 27 000 + CV\'s)

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 04:42
German to English
+ ...
Yep, that's it! Jan 11, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-11 10:33, guarnieri wrote:

GG

Fully agree with you: what an \"ingenious\" way to increase one\'s database

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Eh... Jan 11, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-11 14:47, AbacusTrans wrote:

Quote:

GG

Fully agree with you: what an \"ingenious\" way to increase one\'s d... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-11 14:47, AbacusTrans wrote:

Quote:

GG

Fully agree with you: what an \"ingenious\" way to increase one\'s database

Swedish-Translation.com consists of not more than ONE translator. I have no intention of increasing some sort of database.

Werner George Patels and Giovanni Guarnieri doesn\'t seem to be the brightest boys on ProZ...

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-11 16:33 ]Collapse

Local time: 04:42
German to English
+ ...
You ain't too bright either, Mattias Jan 11, 2002

And, please, can you put your replies in ENGLISH from now on??? Much appreciated.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-01-11 17:13 ]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:42
Member (2004)
English to Italian
don't be rude... Jan 11, 2002

there is no need. Where\'s your sense of humor? Can\'t take a joke? What are the smilies for? If you don\'t know, see this illuminating web page (in Swedish)...

http://www.jonasweb.nu/internet/smiley.html

you even get the Japanese ones!

GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Don\'t you have your CV as a safe pdf-file? I\'ll create the file for free to you.

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »