Mobile menu

What are the best methods and tools for fighting fraudulent customers?
Thread poster: Nikita Kobrin

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 20:18
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
May 10, 2003

Dear Colleagues,

Under \"customer\" I mean both translation agencies and direct clients. One of the methods of fighting against fraudulent customers is very simple: just make public your experience (both positive and negative) of dealing with this or that customer. And we have already got several tools for that: various mailing lists (e.g. Payment Practices, TCR List, etc.) and special website features (e.g. The Blue Board).

From time to time we all use these resources. And those of us who don\'t will sooner or later end up by posting of this kind: \"SOS: I\'ve done a job but was not paid, please help!!!!!!\".

But what is your favourite resource and what features would you like to see in an \"ideal\" tool of customers\' rating? And how can we avoid such nasty things as \"self-grading\" and negative grading given by agencies to their competitors? I think all these topics are worth discussing..

Regards,

Nikita Kobrin

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:18
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Low tech solution May 10, 2003

My secret weapon is my wife. She\'ll phone negligent debtors and will plague them like a fly. She loves to ask anyone answering the phone if they\'ve been paid their salary that month because it looks like their boss is in some kind of financial trouble.

Regards,

Gerard

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
next step May 10, 2003

If it happens to be too late for preventive measures, I think Gerards "secret weapon" is one of the most effective ones

But if even this does not help, you can contact a lawyer in the fraudsters country of residence and ask him what you could do and how much it would cost.

Egmont
Spain
Local time: 19:18
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Payment in advance May 10, 2003

In some cases it is very useful (new clients or so).
[addsig]

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 20:18
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all for the valuable tips! May 11, 2003

Quote (Tayfun): \"What is the risk you can bear?\"

Yes Tayfun, not to be paid is always bad but these are two quite different things: not to be paid for a day job or for a month one.

Quote (Gerard): \"My secret weapon is my wife. She\'ll phone negligent debtors and will plague them like a fly.\"

Great weapon, Gerard, but in my situation it\'s not economically rational: international calls in Lithuania are quite expensive... Besides that a couple of years ago I put my own \'secret weapon\' away.

NK

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:18
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Are the 3 lists/boards Nikita mentions, available for listing direct customers? May 16, 2003

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:18
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
The Blue Board May 16, 2003

isn\'t a list, actually.

You can access it (in the new design)going to Jobs (up), then Blue Board (left), and read the FAQ (up).

For Platinum members it\'s free, to check for an agency you can pay either $0,50 or 50 BrowniZ, asking people to rate an agency is free, and rating an agency is free too.

I don\'t know how the other lists work.

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Thanks Claudia (if directed to me :-)....but my drift was ..... May 16, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-16 18:38, c.iglesias wrote:

isn\'t a list, actually.

You can access it (in the new design)going to Jobs (up), then Blue Board (left), and read the FAQ (up).

For Platinum members it\'s free, to check for an agency you can pay either $0,50 or 50 BrowniZ, asking people to rate an agency is free, and rating an agency is free too.

I don\'t know how the other lists work.

.....my drift was more, do any of the three boards or lists Nikita mentions, deal with direct customers as opposed to agencies? I\'m familiar with the excellent PP list and seem to remember the moderator there saying that it was only for listing agencies, but it\'s quite possible I\'m wrong about this. I\'m fairly familiar with the concept of the Proz.Blue Board although I haven\'t used it much yet (ah, but when I take the plunge of Platinum membership!) - but isn\'t this, too, just for listing agencies.

Doesn\'t Nikita raise the question of guarding against bad debts from direct, as well as agency, customers?

If the 3 boards or lists mentioned do only deal with agencies, what precautions are suggested (apart asking someone to loan their highly effective wife....?)re. direct customers. (Not that I\'ve had a problem in that direction, but...)

[ This Message was edited by: giulik on 2003-05-16 23:17]

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Different bulletin boards Jun 13, 2003

and next time they contact you:

In MsWord: Options>Tools>Password.

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Any suggestions ? Jun 15, 2003

Williamson wrote:

Other bulletin boards

and next time they contact you:

In MsWord: Options>Tools>Password.

Can you suggest other bulletin boards that list direct clients, then ?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the best methods and tools for fighting fraudulent customers?

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs