Rate for formatting and proofing
Thread poster: Carolina Cortes Loudet

Carolina Cortes Loudet  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:20
English to Spanish
May 13, 2003

Hi,

I made an agreement to translate five units of Physical Science for a $1,500 each. Each unit averages about 15,000 words.

I had to do extra work such as formatting (fit images into available spaces, correct shape of images, and follow their formatting procedures for the text as well as print a hard copy). I delivered a print ready version of each unit. I also translated the tests for each unit along with an answer key. I also ended up correcting many errors found in the original English version of each unit and tests. All of this work wasn\'t included in the original price.

I may have the possibility of working with them again and I would like to know how much translators charge to format text and images, as well as proofread and correct mistakes.

I would like to request pay for this extra work in the future translations that I provide them. What would be a reasonable rate fot this extra work?

Thank you very much

caroco

Direct link Reply with quote

nettranslatorde
Russian to German
+ ...
Formatting belongs to the service May 13, 2003

Hi,

As for formatting - this is a normal service I usually provide free of charge, especially for high volume jobs.

Proofreading and correcting/rewriting the original is, however, a different piece of cake - so I inform the client about the (low) quality of the original text and offer proofreading for an additional fee charged by the hour or on a per-word basis as long as the original text is not too bad.

So I suggest that you see whatever you usually take for an hour of your work and charge by the hour.

My two cents...

[ This Message was edited by: Mouhannaya on 2003-05-13 12:08]

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
By the hour May 13, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-05-13 02:24, caroco wrote:

What would be a reasonable rate fot this extra work?

Clients pay me US$40/hour for revision/proofreading and US$50/hour for formatting and/or working on programs like Quark.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate for formatting and proofing

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs