Problems while using BlueBoard
Thread poster: mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 28, 2003

Some time ago I was asked by an agency (with which I had had a long standing business relationship) to render some opinion on them in the BlueBoard. As we had been in good terms up to then, I posted some positive words.
Immediately after that, they discontinued payment (no idea why, no complains on their part). And whenever I send them a mail asking for the pending payment they answer ok, we shall pay. But nothing happens (this behaviour started some 5 months ago).
Finally, I decided
... See more
Some time ago I was asked by an agency (with which I had had a long standing business relationship) to render some opinion on them in the BlueBoard. As we had been in good terms up to then, I posted some positive words.
Immediately after that, they discontinued payment (no idea why, no complains on their part). And whenever I send them a mail asking for the pending payment they answer ok, we shall pay. But nothing happens (this behaviour started some 5 months ago).
Finally, I decided to make use of the BlueBoard to change the message I had entered there, but, to my surprise, I got a message that explained more or less that once the agency you've entered a comment on replies to your comment in any way, you cannot add anything.
What can I do now? I am hands tied!!!
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:59
English to Swedish
+ ...
Grave Programming Error! May 28, 2003

You are absolutely right. I just tried it out and got:

"You cannot edit your rating for this agency because the agency has posted a reply to your original comment."

Conclusion: Any agency that writes in a "Thanks!" as reply to a good rating can stop paying the translator who gave the good rating.

A VERY GRAVE PROGRAMMING ERROR INDEED.

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah, that's what it means. May 28, 2003

Sven Petersson wrote:

Conclusion: Any agency that writes in a "Thanks!" as reply to a good rating can stop paying the translator who gave the good rating.

A VERY GRAVE PROGRAMMING ERROR INDEED.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Contact the Jobs Area coordinators May 29, 2003

Hi Monica,
Please contact Giuliana or myself (Jobs Area Coordinators) with the details, and we'll sort it out for you.

Best regards, Ralf

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
What's not clear, Ralf? May 29, 2003

Dear Ralf,

What further details do you need?

Have you read the above carefully and tried to modify a rating?

Best regards,

Sven.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More background May 29, 2003

Sven, to answer your question first...
What further details do you need?

Have you read the above carefully and tried to modify a rating?

Of course I have read it - which is why I asked Mónica to forward the details of the agency concerned to Giuliana or myself privately.

In contrast to Sven's assumption, this is not a programming error, but works exactly as designed. Note that the BB is not a discussion forum: both sides have one opportunity to state their point, as briefly as possible. One of the main reasons why you cannot change your rating after the agency has commented is that this would give some agencies a lever to "blackmail" a freelancer into changing the rating originally posted (bear in mind that a change could work both ways).

This isn't to say that I don't see Mónica's point. As I posted before, what you should do in the event of a fundamental shift in an outsourcer's behaviour is to contact one of the Jobs Area Coordinators. We will be happy to delete the original rating (together with the agency's comment, of course), to make way for a revised rating.

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems while using BlueBoard

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »